By CJ | October 25, 2009
This rice dish is so easy to cook and I really love it with a rare steak, but it can accompany anything from meat to fish, it’s great on its own or with some pita bread and it can be eaten hot or cold. A truly versatile dish that even a muppet could cook. Enjoy… CJ
CJ’s Special Rice – serves 4/6
- 250g Long Grain Rice
- 250g Brown Mushrooms (Any mushroom will do but none of the magic variety)
- 250g Pomodorino Tomatoes
- ½ cup of petit pois
- 1 Medium red onion
- 1 small tin sweetcorn
- 3 Cloves garlic
- 2 Vegetable stock cube
- 1 Level tablespoon Schwartz Classic Barbecue Mixed Spice
- Garlic Salt (optional) to taste
- 1 small knob butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- A good pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Sunglasses optional!
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and mushrooms
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan and heat gently. Add the garlic and onion and fry for a couple of minutes – stir occasionally and make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Add a small knob of butter, mushrooms, salt & pepper and add a pinch of garlic salt (optional but really tasty – be careful as G salt is very potent and not for the faint of heart). Also add a dash of soy sauce and cook all ingredients until soft and brown and remember to stir occasionally. Put the mixture aside for later.
- Before cooking the rice it’s important to wash it to get all of the starch out. Put the rice in a sieve and into a bowl of water and wash until the water is clear – you need to do this approximately three times.
- At this point prepare your water for cooking the rice. There are many ways to cook rice and I use the boil and drain method, to be honest it’s the best method for this dish. I prefer to use Basmati rice, hey I am Indian. Before adding the rice to the water you must add the veg stock cubes and salt and pepper. Once the stock has dissolved taste the water – you want your rice to absorb the flavour of the stock so if the water tastes good then your rice will have a nice flavour to it. Add the rice to the aromatic water, bring back to the boil and simmer for approximately 8-10 minutes. When cooking the rice you need to keep tasting it in the final minutes as it’s so easy to overcook. This rice dish only work if the rice isn’t overcooked and soggy. When the rice is ready, drain and put aside until you need it again – there’s no need to rinse the cooked rice and you have already done this before cooking. If you want more details about how to cook the perfect rice, follow this link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl1PfTy3C0E
- Add the cooked onions, mushrooms and garlic and rice to a large bowl. Dice the tomatoes and add them with the sweet corn, petit pois and the Schwartz Classic BBQ spice and mix well.
- You want your dish to have a nice flavour so feel free to add more spice (Salt, pepper, BBQ spice etc) if needed… and that’s it. You can serve it immediately at room temperature. I sometimes heat up the leftovers the next day, which is also delicious as by heating it again you release all those flavours again.