ASK GiNGER QUESTiONS

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Re: ASK GiNGER QUESTiONS

Postby benwalton » 24th Jun 10, 16:59

Colour me very fucking excited! :mrgreen:
and just last week as i was clearing shit from off my shelf...
benwalton

Postby piesJoy » 24th Jun 10, 17:43

Yes! :D
'mix the colours, watch the smoke'.

'I tried to warn you, but your in Clown Town....'
piesJoy

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 26th Jun 10, 22:26

Ginger wrote:Didz Hammond, from The Cooper Temple Clause?!
Is this the bloke who was playing bass with Dirty Harry until recently?
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Postby WiredOut » 27th Jun 10, 19:09

Why do the vocals often seem to be mixed so low in some of your songs (eg Return To Zero, Unbroken, Josser Bank amongst others)? Not a criticism from me personally, cos I like the effort of diving down into production 'muddiness' to pull out gleaming silver strings of melody (and I like Endless Nameless). But from my own experience of trying to get others into your records over the years (with a fair success rate too ;) ), I think it can be an aspect that can put others off. I guess I mean in that the actual tunes don't always pop out as readily in some stuff like they do so clearly in, say, PHUQ or Chutzpah (although I know the latter had the downtuning aspect). Or is it sometimes this 'compression' thingamyjig that's the cause?

Like I said, I'm not being critical (and apologies if I sound like a bit of an armchair arsehole for asking), just wondered what you thought of this issue, if indeed you perceive it anything like that. Thanks again.
'C'mon, make me feel like me.'
WiredOut

Postby Ginger » 27th Jun 10, 20:25

<< by WiredOut » 27th Jun 10, 19:09

Why do the vocals often seem to be mixed so low in some of your songs (eg Return To Zero, Unbroken, Josser Bank amongst others)? Not a criticism from me personally, cos I like the effort of diving down into production 'muddiness' to pull out gleaming silver strings of melody (and I like Endless Nameless). But from my own experience of trying to get others into your records over the years (with a fair success rate too ), I think it can be an aspect that can put others off. I guess I mean in that the actual tunes don't always pop out as readily in some stuff like they do so clearly in, say, PHUQ or Chutzpah (although I know the latter had the downtuning aspect). Or is it sometimes this 'compression' thingamyjig that's the cause?

Like I said, I'm not being critical (and apologies if I sound like a bit of an armchair arsehole for asking), just wondered what you thought of this issue, if indeed you perceive it anything like that. Thanks again.>>

To be perfectly honest there are times where I dislike hearing my vocals so much that I mix them so far down in the mix even I think they're too low. Silly really. It's a dumb confidence thing that I reckon I have licked now. Normal service will commence on the next release to celebrate my vocal return.

<< by Dark Lord of Barnet » 26th Jun 10, 22:26

Ginger wrote:
Didz Hammond, from The Cooper Temple Clause?!
Is this the bloke who was playing bass with Dirty Harry until recently?>>

No, that's Adam Hammond. Didz used to play in Cooper Temple Clause and, more recently, Dirty Pretty Things.
Ginger

Postby nadgers » 27th Jun 10, 22:48

Hi Ginge,

I recently had a bit of an email exchange with Hunt Emerson (cartoonist genius responsible for the inside cover of Erath Vs). He seems like a really canny bloke and was really pleased I noted the quality of his work he did for you. Do you remember him and do you still have the artwork he did for you? Would you get him to do anything in future? I like his style and the amount of detail he puts into the work he does.
nadgers

Postby ChrisWildheart82 » 28th Jun 10, 11:27

Hi Ginger.

I Missed your set at download because of a injury to my brother ment we had to come home after the first day!. but i really got back into listning to your music
before the festival buying all the albums i had not got my music libary is now wealthy with your music in it. listning to old and new wildhearts song really made
me want to start playing guitar again and actully start to write my own music. so i booked in some lessons with a great teacher and ive started writing Heavy Blues based
songs. Some of them suck but a couple are ok but need work. Any after all that waffle (now im hungry for a waffle) heres the questions. Is there any advice you can
give to someone who just starting out writing songs and becoming a great song writer like yourself. also as i missed you at download is there any chance your coming to
sheffield with The Wildheart or any other of your musical endevers. Peace and much love mate

Chris H
ChrisWildheart82

Postby Ginger » 28th Jun 10, 13:40

<< by ChrisWildheart82 » 28th Jun 10, 11:27

Hi Ginger.

I Missed your set at download because of a injury to my brother ment we had to come home after the first day!. but i really got back into listning to your music
before the festival buying all the albums i had not got my music libary is now wealthy with your music in it. listning to old and new wildhearts song really made
me want to start playing guitar again and actully start to write my own music. so i booked in some lessons with a great teacher and ive started writing Heavy Blues based
songs. Some of them suck but a couple are ok but need work. Any after all that waffle (now im hungry for a waffle) heres the questions. Is there any advice you can
give to someone who just starting out writing songs and becoming a great song writer like yourself. also as i missed you at download is there any chance your coming to
sheffield with The Wildheart or any other of your musical endevers. Peace and much love mate

Chris H>>

The only advice I would ever offer someone on the subject of songwriting is write what YOU think are great songs, not what other people consider great songs. Also travel. The more experiences you have the more interesting your lyrics will be.
I hope to take Guitarmageddon on tour before the end of the year but there are no definite dates just yet. Don't touch this dial as this will be where the informations comes first...

<< by nadgers » 27th Jun 10, 22:48

Hi Ginge,

I recently had a bit of an email exchange with Hunt Emerson (cartoonist genius responsible for the inside cover of Erath Vs). He seems like a really canny bloke and was really pleased I noted the quality of his work he did for you. Do you remember him and do you still have the artwork he did for you? Would you get him to do anything in future? I like his style and the amount of detail he puts into the work he does.>>

Oh my God, I LOOOVE Hunt and would use him for artwork again in a heartbeat. He is absolutely one of the greatest, and, in my opinion, is up there with Robert Crumb, Gilbert Shelton and Don Martin for classic 70's cartoon work.
Sadly I move around so much I have no idea where the original artwork is. I'm sure it is in a storage room somewhere between Tokyo and LA.
Ginger

Postby Col » 28th Jun 10, 21:36

For my birthday (29th), see if you can answer the following.
Coolest singer frontman ever, the finalists are:
Perry Farrell V Mike Patton - who wins? (and why).
Moses - Red Sea - Bollocks. Col - Academy doors - genius.
Col

Postby WiredOut » 30th Jun 10, 19:48

Ah well Ginger, I remember reading that Lennon hated the sound of his vocals too, so there's another thing you have in common. ;)

In fact, while not trying to masturbate your ego too hard here ;), the way I genuinely describe you when I'm off evangelising/ranting in the pub is something like 'Imagine John Lennon grew up listening to The Clash, Motorhead, The Sex Pistols, AC/DC, Slade, Abba, Guns'n'Roses, The Beach Boys, Metallica, Aerosmith, Steve Earle, The Ramones, and, er... The Beatles. Well, as ear-droolingly incredible as that sounds, we don't really have to imagine it, cos that resulting musical banquet pretty much exists, here on planet Earth, as we (well I) speak...' :)
'C'mon, make me feel like me.'
WiredOut

Postby malibukid » 3rd Jul 10, 20:00

Hi Ginger. I'm a huge fan from Spain. This is my first post, I'll be very pleased if you ask me some questions.

Your shows in 2008 in my country were amazing! I also saw you back in 2006 in liverpool with the sonic circus and I treasure every moment of that event in my mind.

- So... Why didn´t you return to Spain to promote Chutzpah?? There are any chance to see you soon with Michal Monroe, Wildhearts or solo in Spain? You shoud go to play again at the Azkena Rock Festival!!

- Are you still in contact with Danny Mccormack?? Is he O.K ??? I Know Scott is an amazing bass player & we love him, but, there are any chance in the future to do some reunion shows with Danny?

- and... My favourite bands of alltime are Wildhearts & GN'R. So... what do you think about Chinese Democracy?? I personally think is both lovely and killer album!! in my opinion very underrated by critics and old school fans... It would be killer if you (with Michael Monroe or Wildhearts) join forces with Axl to do the european tour! I know Axl loves Hanoi stuff, so... is it possible??

Greetings from Spain. And yes, we're gonna win the worldcup!
I can't wait to hear new songs written by you!

Cheers.
malibukid

Postby Ginger » 6th Jul 10, 10:35

<< by malibukid » 3rd Jul 10, 20:00

Hi Ginger. I'm a huge fan from Spain. This is my first post, I'll be very pleased if you ask me some questions.

Your shows in 2008 in my country were amazing! I also saw you back in 2006 in liverpool with the sonic circus and I treasure every moment of that event in my mind.

- So... Why didn´t you return to Spain to promote Chutzpah?? There are any chance to see you soon with Michal Monroe, Wildhearts or solo in Spain? You shoud go to play again at the Azkena Rock Festival!!

- Are you still in contact with Danny Mccormack?? Is he O.K ??? I Know Scott is an amazing bass player & we love him, but, there are any chance in the future to do some reunion shows with Danny?

- and... My favourite bands of alltime are Wildhearts & GN'R. So... what do you think about Chinese Democracy?? I personally think is both lovely and killer album!! in my opinion very underrated by critics and old school fans... It would be killer if you (with Michael Monroe or Wildhearts) join forces with Axl to do the european tour! I know Axl loves Hanoi stuff, so... is it possible??

Greetings from Spain. And yes, we're gonna win the worldcup!
I can't wait to hear new songs written by you!

Cheers.>>

I'm not sure why we didn't promote the album in Spain. We got a new manager and record label and they promotion was down to them. Maybe they'd be the best people to ask?
Scott is the only bass player that I want to see onstage at a Wildhearts gig.
I haven't really heard Chinese Democracy, maybe I should get myself a copy?
Good luck in the world cup, I'll be rooting for ya against Germany.

<< by Col » 28th Jun 10, 21:36

For my birthday (29th), see if you can answer the following.
Coolest singer frontman ever, the finalists are:
Perry Farrell V Mike Patton - who wins? (and why).>>

It ends in a very fair and understandable draw. That's like asking what's the most important; water or oxygen.
Ginger

Postby Nojahoda » 7th Jul 10, 17:26

A question about lyric writing - since the lyrics I write are utterly shocking and I'm terribly embarrassed to have to present them to our singer and say "yes, I do expect you to sing that".

In the vague hope that it might help me... Do you go through many iterations to come up with something you're happy to share with your band-mates (and us lot eventually)? Do you think "i'm going to write a song about xyz" and follow that thread? Or is it just a stream-of-consciousness-work-out-what-if-anything-it-means-later type process?

Any lyrics you've unleashed on the world that you wish you could have back?
Nojahoda

Postby Ginger » 9th Jul 10, 10:54

<< by Nojahoda » 7th Jul 10, 17:26

A question about lyric writing - since the lyrics I write are utterly shocking and I'm terribly embarrassed to have to present them to our singer and say "yes, I do expect you to sing that".

In the vague hope that it might help me... Do you go through many iterations to come up with something you're happy to share with your band-mates (and us lot eventually)? Do you think "i'm going to write a song about xyz" and follow that thread? Or is it just a stream-of-consciousness-work-out-what-if-anything-it-means-later type process?

Any lyrics you've unleashed on the world that you wish you could have back?>>

I'm usually still changing/tweaking lyrics up until actually singing them in the studio. Nowadays writing lyrics is a more direct process, as in I know what I'm going after and stick to the plot. I guess this comes from co-writing recently, which a more democratic process that requires a little more steering.
Don't know if I care to have any lyrics back but I'm quite proud of the stuff I've written on many solo songs. I usually get dragged back into a comfort zone with Wildhearts lyrics and find solo stuff to be more demanding as a writer.
Ginger

Postby blackdeathcrew » 9th Jul 10, 12:09

Ginger,

You mentioned your up-coming Best-Of album. Can we expect to hear any new tracks on it?

Thanks
Pete
ImageImage
blackdeathcrew

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat