ASK GiNGER QUESTiONS

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Re: ASK GiNGER QUESTiONS

Postby benwalton » 10th Jul 10, 22:55

Ginger, the 'acoustic duo' i am a part of are recording a mini album next week. Could we quite possibly include our cover of Inside Out? pretty please? :D

Also, i just read on your Twitter that you have finished reading Crime by Irvine Welsh. What a stunning writer - that book had the power to mkae me laugh out loud and feel sick, often within the same paragraph. What is your favourite Irvine Welsh novel?
and just last week as i was clearing shit from off my shelf...
benwalton

Postby Ginger » 12th Jul 10, 09:46

<< by benwalton » 10th Jul 10, 22:55

Ginger, the 'acoustic duo' i am a part of are recording a mini album next week. Could we quite possibly include our cover of Inside Out? pretty please?

Also, i just read on your Twitter that you have finished reading Crime by Irvine Welsh. What a stunning writer - that book had the power to mkae me laugh out loud and feel sick, often within the same paragraph. What is your favourite Irvine Welsh novel?>>

I'd be honoured if you covered my song. Thank you.
Choosing a favourite Irvine Welsh novel is tough. I loved Filth because of how it slowly started to make sense, and Bedroom Secrets Of the Master Chefs because of how thoroughly satisfying a read it was, but The Acid House takes the prize for pure, unbridled Welsh magic. Plus Trainspotting still takes some beating (and the end of Marabou Stork Nightmares is incredibly moving...etc etc)

<< by blackdeathcrew » 9th Jul 10, 12:09

Ginger,

You mentioned your up-coming Best-Of album. Can we expect to hear any new tracks on it?>>

Yeah, there'll be a couple of new tracks on there.
Ginger

Postby bucks » 12th Jul 10, 13:52

not sure if this thing is still alive

having supported ac/dc a few times,what are the guys like ?

loved your mini quo thing at pompey feel free to do a quo cover as a bside (que half the forum laughing)

and last of all thanks for chutzpah! the tune itself blows me away and gets me through many a dull day on my post round

i thank you. 8-)
bucks

Postby Radish » 13th Jul 10, 09:11

First off, apologies if this doesn't make much sense but it is still early and I'm really not a morning person.
Secondly, a quick but heartfelt thanks to you and all of the various Wildhearts band members over the years for all the music, gigs and memories.
Right, let's see if this comes out the same way it sounds in my head -

You're undoubtedly a very talented, nay gifted musician with a quite shockingly consistent high quality of output (I can honestly say there isn't another artist that I can listen to every tune they release and like it), but do you consider yourself to be any kind of businessman as well? I ask this because, despite years ago aiming to write my masters dissertation on the trials and tribulations of the small band/artist but ending up basically writing a 40,000 word argument about how small/independent labels/artists are more innovative in strategic approach than the big labels (which has kind of been proved true), I still can't see how some musicians actually make a living out of what they do, no matter how good they are. In my opinion if you can make a decent living out of music you have to be at least partially a successful businessman/entrepreneur, or just bloody lucky. Are some choices business-driven, or is it all about the music?

I'm quite risk-averse, so the chances of me ever putting the security of a regular wage aside in favour of chasing a dream to play in front of crowds (well, and learning to play properly first) are infinitesimally slim. Do you ever get scared by the pressure of having to perform to make enough money to support you and your family? And do you ever see what you do as just a job, a daily grind to get through to live your life? Blimey that came across as a bit grim, sorry!

Finish on a lighter note, what was the last song you heard that made you cry (shit, is that a lighter note?)? Happy or sad tears, either way. (For me it was the Foo Fighters cover of "Band on the Run", not because it's a bad cover of a great song or anything as it isnt, just because for some reason it reminded me of childhood memories of listening to the original with my then recently-departed Nan, so kind of happysad really).

Once again, cheers, and have a happy Tuesday.
Terrified, intoxiciated,
Starry eyed and bollock naked...

There's only two complaints I have about the way you are,
That's all you say and all you do...
Radish

Postby Ginger » 13th Jul 10, 10:36

<< by Radish » 13th Jul 10, 09:11

First off, apologies if this doesn't make much sense but it is still early and I'm really not a morning person.
Secondly, a quick but heartfelt thanks to you and all of the various Wildhearts band members over the years for all the music, gigs and memories.
Right, let's see if this comes out the same way it sounds in my head -

You're undoubtedly a very talented, nay gifted musician with a quite shockingly consistent high quality of output (I can honestly say there isn't another artist that I can listen to every tune they release and like it), but do you consider yourself to be any kind of businessman as well? I ask this because, despite years ago aiming to write my masters dissertation on the trials and tribulations of the small band/artist but ending up basically writing a 40,000 word argument about how small/independent labels/artists are more innovative in strategic approach than the big labels (which has kind of been proved true), I still can't see how some musicians actually make a living out of what they do, no matter how good they are. In my opinion if you can make a decent living out of music you have to be at least partially a successful businessman/entrepreneur, or just bloody lucky. Are some choices business-driven, or is it all about the music?

I'm quite risk-averse, so the chances of me ever putting the security of a regular wage aside in favour of chasing a dream to play in front of crowds (well, and learning to play properly first) are infinitesimally slim. Do you ever get scared by the pressure of having to perform to make enough money to support you and your family? And do you ever see what you do as just a job, a daily grind to get through to live your life? Blimey that came across as a bit grim, sorry!

Finish on a lighter note, what was the last song you heard that made you cry (shit, is that a lighter note?)? Happy or sad tears, either way. (For me it was the Foo Fighters cover of "Band on the Run", not because it's a bad cover of a great song or anything as it isnt, just because for some reason it reminded me of childhood memories of listening to the original with my then recently-departed Nan, so kind of happysad really).

Once again, cheers, and have a happy Tuesday.>>

I personally put the music first. I truly think that the main why I'm able to make a living in this volatile business is because of the power of the song. Even in this super-info/low attention span age of instant gratification and fluxing marketing strategies, the powers still, often begrudgingly, hold up song quality as a perverse barometer by which artists are able to stay afloat. When I was a kid a great song wasn't a barometer, a great song was the entire sport. I'm happy to say that this is still the case, always has been and always will be. I was given a talent to write songs and it has supported me, and now my family, through every change in the music industry over the last 20 years. Thanks guys for your awesome taste! I will never let you down.
I never get scared by the prospect of getting back to my roots and earning a living from live work, I embrace it and I appreciate it. It is a huge comfort.
I hear music all the time that makes me want to sob uncontrollably, usually in public. Not from sadness but from sheer joy that music still makes me feel emotions I can't readily explain. The latest is the album So Jealous, by Tegan and Sara. But I honestly get moved to tears monthly. There is SO much great music out there.

<< by bucks » 12th Jul 10, 13:52

not sure if this thing is still alive

having supported ac/dc a few times,what are the guys like ?

loved your mini quo thing at pompey feel free to do a quo cover as a bside (que half the forum laughing)

and last of all thanks for chutzpah! the tune itself blows me away and gets me through many a dull day on my post round

i thank you. >>

AC/DC are the kind of band you HAVE to be to stay at the top for as long as they have. They are humble, dedicated, passionate, disciplined and massively talented. They're also truly lovely guys with not a grain of pretension between the 5 of them. In fact, little short of the perfect band.
Ginger

Postby Radish » 13th Jul 10, 16:02

Great answer(s), thanks. :)
Terrified, intoxiciated,
Starry eyed and bollock naked...

There's only two complaints I have about the way you are,
That's all you say and all you do...
Radish

Postby markE » 14th Jul 10, 10:23

i was reading that hot water music and bouncing souls are doing a split single where they each cover one of the other bands tracks.
if you were do do this what band/artist would you choose and what tracks would you/they cover?

what do you think of feeder's revitalised sound? the production on the album reminds me of !Chutzpah! do think it was an influence?

cheers

Mark
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby bucks » 14th Jul 10, 12:45

ah thats good to hear (ac/dc)
be gutted if they were anything but sound.amazing how they still have it even if the new music isnt quite what it was ,but live jeeez simply awesome

cheers for replying

wanted to say hi too you ginger when i saw you in pompey but you were on your phone and didnt want to be a pain in the ass

good luck in all your future projects.
bucks

Postby Ginger » 16th Jul 10, 14:46

<< by markE » 14th Jul 10, 10:23

i was reading that hot water music and bouncing souls are doing a split single where they each cover one of the other bands tracks.
if you were do do this what band/artist would you choose and what tracks would you/they cover?

what do you think of feeder's revitalised sound? the production on the album reminds me of !Chutzpah! do think it was an influence?

cheers

Mark>>

Feeder have been going for as long as The Wildhearts, so I very much doubt that we've been an influence on anything they've done, although I'd be honoured to think that they heard the album and liked it.
If I were to do a double single with The Wildhearts then I'd like the other band to probably be Jason and the Scorchers. The Bronx would be very cool too. We were actually going to do one with Napalm Death some years back, that would have been brilliant, now that I think about it. I reckon Therapy? would be a great double single too.
Ginger

Postby wildsam6o » 16th Jul 10, 16:51

On the subject of therapy?

What song would you cover and why? I'd love to hear a wildhearts version of stand in line from high anx....

Was ace when you played it with them in Sheffield

and same question other way round, what song would you want t? To cover of the wildhearts

caprice or naivety play would be pretty fucking epic.
wildsam6o

Postby Yayhoo » 18th Jul 10, 21:36

Ello.
Last year...Shepherd's Bush (last gig of Chutzpah tour).
Great, great gig. Thoroughly enjoyed it. But gotta ask you something bout that night.
One of the people that I went to the gig with was Rick Richards. Top man!
He was over in London for a few days for the Mott gigs and came along to see the WH.
I was told that the you and the band knew he was turning up...but maybe I'm wrong!

So...did you know that he was gunna be there? And if so, why wasn't he invited on stage to do Battleship Chains?

Cheers.
Yayhoo

Postby sparky » 29th Jul 10, 12:05

Hey Ginger

Saw you guys in Exeter and Gothenburg (pity about the turn out, but amazing gig all the same, true pro's, thank you) last year.
Would ever considering recording "Just Stay" possibly as a B side or do you feel it's not relevant anymore now that you sound has evolved ?

Thanks
Gonna be someone, I'm a smoking gun, I'm the lightning striking
sparky

Postby Ross » 29th Jul 10, 16:12

I've just been listening to Dark Side of the Moon, and all the interludes and segues, it made me think of Market Harbour. Did you take any inspiration from this, and possibly The Beatles' Abbey Road, in terms of shorter songs linking together? The re-released Fishing for Luckies has a similar thing going on. That's one of the things I love about listening to a complete album as opposed to just tracks, as Market Harbour has some great songs, but when played in order as an album, it's elevated to another level...
Ross

Postby blackdeathcrew » 29th Jul 10, 18:40

I know that the gig you did at the Marrs Bar in Worcester in 2008 wasn't your favourite gig of all time, but would you consider coming back and playing there again at some point? (I know there's loads of people who'd like you to do so - me included)
ImageImage
blackdeathcrew

Postby Ginger » 29th Jul 10, 21:19

<< by blackdeathcrew » 29th Jul 10, 18:40

I know that the gig you did at the Marrs Bar in Worcester in 2008 wasn't your favourite gig of all time, but would you consider coming back and playing there again at some point? (I know there's loads of people who'd like you to do so - me included)>>

Sure, I don't see why not. I've nothing against the place or the people, it was just a shitty day.

<< by Ross » 29th Jul 10, 16:12

I've just been listening to Dark Side of the Moon, and all the interludes and segues, it made me think of Market Harbour. Did you take any inspiration from this, and possibly The Beatles' Abbey Road, in terms of shorter songs linking together? The re-released Fishing for Luckies has a similar thing going on. That's one of the things I love about listening to a complete album as opposed to just tracks, as Market Harbour has some great songs, but when played in order as an album, it's elevated to another level...>>

Abbey Road was an obvious influence. I used to listen to that album constantly, and wonder if I'll ever be able to do something like it one day. The reason why I still believe in the album (as an important means of expression) is that if I want to know about an artist I want to know what they think over the course of an album, not just 3 or 4 minutes of what they're about. Caring about music, to me, means caring about the people making it.

<< by sparky » 29th Jul 10, 12:05

Hey Ginger

Saw you guys in Exeter and Gothenburg (pity about the turn out, but amazing gig all the same, true pro's, thank you) last year.
Would ever considering recording "Just Stay" possibly as a B side or do you feel it's not relevant anymore now that you sound has evolved ?

Thanks>>

I can't see me ever wanting to record that song, or any song previously recorded. I have way too many new songs which are entirely more relevant to how I think these days. Maybe I'd like to do an album where I play different styled version of songs, but even then I don't think 'Just Stay' would be in the running.

<< by Yayhoo » 18th Jul 10, 21:36

Ello.
Last year...Shepherd's Bush (last gig of Chutzpah tour).
Great, great gig. Thoroughly enjoyed it. But gotta ask you something bout that night.
One of the people that I went to the gig with was Rick Richards. Top man!
He was over in London for a few days for the Mott gigs and came along to see the WH.
I was told that the you and the band knew he was turning up...but maybe I'm wrong!

So...did you know that he was gunna be there? And if so, why wasn't he invited on stage to do Battleship Chains?

Cheers.>>

I was told he would be coming to the show, but getting him up to play was never in our plans. We had a set to stick with and we stuck with it. Having said that, if someone had mentioned playing Battleship Chains with him I'm sure we would have. Sadly, no one did. Who knows if he'd even want to play with us, y'know?

<< by wildsam6o » 16th Jul 10, 16:51

On the subject of therapy?

What song would you cover and why? I'd love to hear a wildhearts version of stand in line from high anx....

Was ace when you played it with them in Sheffield

and same question other way round, what song would you want t? To cover of the wildhearts

caprice or naivety play would be pretty fucking epic.>>

I think Stand In Line would be in my top three choices, for definite.
As far as choosing what song of ours they would play, I wouldn't want anything to do with that. I'd rather have the surprise of finding out once I got the single!
Ginger

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat