Albums, singles, songs and general Ginger banter

Re: Triple album, what we know so far..

Postby Mattie » 23rd Mar 12, 19:03

too popular, the website's broken :D :cry:
ImageImage
Mattie

Postby kriscoverdale » 23rd Mar 12, 20:17

So, one song in. Pretty impressed so far :)
kriscoverdale

Postby kriscoverdale » 23rd Mar 12, 20:26

Hmm 1.5 songs in and internal radio is already indelibly burned into my brain. Where has this song been all my life ?
kriscoverdale

Postby kriscoverdale » 23rd Mar 12, 23:58

Some bits of info from the twitters:

1 - Forget About It
2 - I-N-T-E-R-N-A-L R-adio
3 - Lie When You Tell Me The Truth
4 - Incidental Noises
5 - It Appears That The Party Is Over
6 - Deep In The Arms Of Morpheus
7 - Baby Skies
8 - Silence
9 - Powderkeg
10 - Time

Drummers:
Denzel Tracks 1,2,10,
Fyfe Ewing 3,4,5,9
Ritch Battersby 6,7,8

CJ sings and plays on tracks 6, 7 and 8
kriscoverdale

Postby Mattie » 24th Mar 12, 01:56

I've made an attmpt at the lyrics for ALL of the songs.
Admittedy there will be a few gaps and d'oh moments where I've misheard something really obvious, but....

EDIT
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6164&start=0
http://lyrics.wikia.com/Ginger:555%25_%282012%29
For the most up to date topic and website on the lyrics
Last edited by Mattie on 31st Mar 12, 04:18, edited 19 times in total.
ImageImage
Mattie

Postby Mattie » 24th Mar 12, 02:16

kriscoverdale wrote:Some bits of info from the twitters:

1 - Forget About It
2 - I-N-T-E-R-N-A-L R-adio
3 - Lie When You Tell Me The Truth
4 - Incidental Noises
5 - It Appears That The Party Is Over
6 - Deep In The Arms Of Morpheus
7 - Baby Skies
8 - Silence
9 - Powderkeg
10 - Time

Drummers:
Denzel Tracks 1,2,10,
Fyfe Ewing 3,4,5,9
Ritch Battersby 6,7,8

CJ sings and plays on tracks 6, 7 and 8

This brings about my only complaint actually

The tracks that are Fyfe's were all recorded in the same session, presumably, but my issue is not with the drumming.

They've all got some really horrible fuzzy distortion/clipping thing going on that is actually kinda ruining my enjoyment of the tracks, even if EVERYTHING else about them is perfect.

But compare the clarity on the other tracks to the clarity on those, there's something amiss.
Last edited by Mattie on 24th Mar 12, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Mattie

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 24th Mar 12, 02:25

Fav on first listen is "Deep in the Arms of Morpheus" I think.
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Postby thegweywabbit » 24th Mar 12, 02:47

thx mattie for the lyrics and track info!!!
I think the clipping you hear is due to the MP3 conversion. I seriously doubt (and hope) that it won't be an issue on the physical cd.

so, after 5 complete plays, my favs in order are:
1) Silence
2) Powderkeg
3) Morpheus
4) Baby Skies
5) Incidental Noises
6) Forget About It
7) Time
8) Lie When You Tell Me The Truth
9) I-N-T-E-R-N-A-L Radio
10) It Appears That THe Party Is Over

just goes to show how strong the cd is that a track as amazing as Time is #7 on my list.
quality top to bottom!!!
Rooting 4 THE WILDHEARTS!!!
jd
thegweywabbit

Postby dds14 » 24th Mar 12, 11:30

Bit meh on first listen, growing a bit but it's too Market Harbour for me...

The bits that sound like Chutzpah! is what I'm waiting for :bounce:
dds14

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 24th Mar 12, 12:55

It does have that sort of vibe I guess, it's quite shiny, polished and melodic. Think some of these songs will need a good few listens to click at the moment. I didn't like Forget About it at first cos of the vocal on the verses but the catchy chorus is winning me over.

Internal Radio is immediate and poppy, nice track, feels like it's got one of those endings I want to skip though, but otherwise memorable and catchy.

Lie When You ... Another hook laden melody this one burrows its way into my mind and gets stuck in my head ina good way.

Incidental Noises - Not liking this one much, bit too quirky for my tastes.

It Appears the Party..- Reminds me of another song, cant think what though. I haven't made mind up on this one, quite an odd understated chorus. It's definitely growing the more I listen.

Morpheus -Love it, real emotion in this song, lovely melody, bit of Wildhearts magic, I'm glad we convinced G it was a good idea to record this.

Baby Skies - Cj + Ginger vocal always good to hear. Obviously the most 'Wildhearts' song on this first bunch, with the ending similar to the end of Chutzpah, like it.

Silence - Nice riffs but a bit too downbeat for me to get excited about right now.

Powderkeg - Not really getting this yet, could require a few more listens, all seems to merge into one sound at the moment for me.

Time - This makes me think of The Beatles, needs more listens to appreciate, really like the guitar melody at the end that repeats.

Very impressive set of songs, it will be tough to pick three favs as I am sure there's some growers there.
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Postby Mattie » 24th Mar 12, 13:51

thegweywabbit wrote:I think the clipping you hear is due to the MP3 conversion. I seriously doubt (and hope) that it won't be an issue on the physical cd.

I'm not convinced it is though, because it's not every song, just those, and it's not every part of those songs it's just one of the 'levels' that seems to have been low in the mix but then turned up to a volume it couldn't handle. Powderkeg is the worst effected.#

BUT I can't believe that any tracks produced by Willie or Jacob, would intentionally make themselves sound like low quality mp3s.

You're The One was a Willie production as well, although from a different session... and that didn't have the issue, so I'll just have to trust it's a 'bad' mp3, or that the recordings from the Fyfe session have been transcoded from a lower quality mp3 to uniformly and unnaturally make them 320kbps

...but then I wouldn't want to undermine Gav either or appear to be whinging

The fact is, this is the ONLY negative thing I have to say about the whole project, songs, album, production or anything really.
ImageImage
Mattie

Postby thegweywabbit » 24th Mar 12, 20:01

all good points. yes, I'm assuming that this is a clipping problem that can occur when a track is slammed level wise, then heavily compressed, and finally, converted to a lower quality audio format (like an MP3). this does not mean it would be evident on all trax. the best way to tell would be if we were offered non lossy FLAC files which in theory would be the same as what's going on the physical CD. still in the process of pressing the music to a physical medium (even in the digital realm) there are variables. all this to say... hoping (and assuming) that there will be no issues on the physical cds!

p.s. just listened to the cd with over ear headphones, and burned to cd to play on stereo speakers and in car. I do not hear the clipping you hear. no track sounds any better or worse than the others and none have any clicking sound. all do however show the dynamic limitations and compression artifacts that are common to even 320kbps mp3s. at least they didn't give us lower bit rate mp3s :)
Rooting 4 THE WILDHEARTS!!!
jd
thegweywabbit

Postby Mattie » 24th Mar 12, 22:26

I've not actually seen anyone else mention it either tbh.

BTW, I'm constantly going back to the lyrics post and updating it as little parts come to me. Its really quite strange how you can listen to something 9 times, not clearly hear the words, but on the tenth something clicks just clicks in the brain and it's so so obvious!
ImageImage
Mattie

Postby MikeH » 25th Mar 12, 07:25

Not noticing any clipping or issues with sound myself, but then my untechnical mind wouldn't really know what to look for in that respect unless it was blindingly obvious.

LOVING "Silence" after only two listens - had me tapping my foot and nodding my head almost instantly and that's a weird thing for me as it usually takes a few listens to really get into songs. Beyond that Morpheus and Forget About It seemed to stick out most but I have a lot of repeat listening to do.
Off to live in the colonies, no more Wildhearts shows. :(
MikeH

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 25th Mar 12, 11:13

Mattie wrote:

I-N-T-E-R-N-A-L R-ADIO

Do I motor along to the beat of the song
Or is the song in the rhythm of me
On my Radio
On My Radio

And that time we were sittin' in the car
on the way to Japan?
when someone played this song on the...

That's what I hear on those bits you couldn't make out, what do you reckon?
Jason_scorching_past

PreviousNext

Return to Ginger Music and General Chat