Something To Get You Scratching Your Heads On A Monday Morn

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Something To Get You Scratching Your Heads On A Monday Morn

Postby Ean » 23rd Feb 09, 02:15

Does anyone know the exact date that the double disc version of Don't Be Happy... Just Worry was released?

It came out in November 1992, and pretty much guaranteed on a Monday, so you're looking for the 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd or 30th.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Re: Something To Get You Scratching Your Heads On A Monday M

Postby Ilsa » 23rd Feb 09, 09:19

Ean wrote:Does anyone know the exact date that the double disc version of Don't Be Happy... Just Worry was released?

It came out in November 1992, and pretty much guaranteed on a Monday, so you're looking for the 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd or 30th.

I worry about you sometimes, Ean!

At the risk of missing the point.... why?
"Eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God's infinite love"
Ilsa

Re: Something To Get You Scratching Your Heads On A Monday M

Postby Nickinvincible » 23rd Feb 09, 09:57

Ean wrote:Does anyone know the exact date that the double disc version of Don't Be Happy... Just Worry was released?

Oooh forget which is the right answer, I'm gonna say that it was the 9th, for no other reason than it sounds right in my head. There's your answer. 8)
Nickinvincible

Postby Ean » 23rd Feb 09, 12:52

Ilsa wrote:I worry about you sometimes, Ean!

At the risk of missing the point.... why?

You've met me, right? (In a virtual sense, obviously)

Searching for superficially insignificant Wildhearts minutiae? Why ever not!? :lol:

I'm collating discography data for the *whisper it* new WH.com, and it's the one bit of information that seems to defy any attempt to nail it down - even the Guinness book of hit singles doesn't list it. It being the internet, I expected at least somebody to have got a date - even one that's obviously wrong, but not one person has gone beyond Nov 1992.

Nickinvincible wrote:Oooh forget which is the right answer, I'm gonna say that it was the 9th, for no other reason than it sounds right in my head. There's your answer. 8)

You're the second person to say that date, but I didn't tell my mate what the question was when I asked him - I just gave him the numbers, so that probably doesn't count. :?
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Chris DLS » 23rd Feb 09, 15:33

Is this the millon pound question? Can I phone a friend?
Chris DLS

Postby Ean » 23rd Feb 09, 15:38

You can phone anybody you like. If they happen to work for Eastwest then all the better. :D
Ean Ü

Ean

Postby Jeeze » 24th Feb 09, 09:40

I've got all the old Kerrangs! in a box somewhere. Should be in there I guess? I'll take a peek sometime the next day or 2
Jeeze

Postby vanrad » 24th Feb 09, 09:53

It was my first ever purchase in a long hopefully never stopping line of WH related goodies! I can remember actually wanting to get it before I went to Glasgow to see them not support Izzy Stradlin (they got kicked off the tour).

Although you've got to remember that release dates seemed to be a lot more fluid in those days especially for newer and smaller bands .. i.e. the record company would promise one Monday and it would eventually come the 2 Mondays after. Or maybe that's because I lived in the Scottish Highlands and the local record shop had to wait longer. My point is that's why an actual release date might be hard to hard.

But an actual date nah I'm no use!!!
vanrad

Postby Damian » 24th Feb 09, 10:11

Jeeze wrote:I've got all the old Kerrangs! in a box somewhere. Should be in there I guess? I'll take a peek sometime the next day or 2

They'll tell you. I remember them reviewing it (3Ks). Whichever one it's in, presumably it came out the Monday after...
Damian

Postby neil » 24th Feb 09, 12:39

Years ago I had a Record Collector with an article on the Wildhearts, think it was a few pages long, detailing some of their rarer releases along with their story. If anyone can get hold of that it's possible it will tell you in there. It's probably still at my parents, but I'm not planning on visiting anytime soon.
neil

Postby Ean » 24th Feb 09, 14:08

Damian wrote:
Jeeze wrote:I've got all the old Kerrangs! in a box somewhere. Should be in there I guess? I'll take a peek sometime the next day or 2

They'll tell you. I remember them reviewing it (3Ks). Whichever one it's in, presumably it came out the Monday after...

So Don't Be Happy... got the same score as Mondo? So much for the anti-dance remixes... :roll:
Ean Ü

Ean

Postby DarrenStockford » 24th Feb 09, 18:07

I've just been going through the old press cuttings for clues, and the best I can offer is an undated Kerrang! news piece announcing that The Wildhearts would be supporting Izzy Stradlin And The Ju Ju Hounds on their UK tour "beginning next week". At the end, it mentions that The Wildhearts "have just released" Don't Be Happy... Just Worry.

The Ju Ju Hounds tour was due to reach the UK on 4 December 1992 (the first three dates were apparently cancelled, but as that probably happened after Kerrang!'s print deadline I don't think it matters). So if the tour was "next week", and the EP had only just come out, it looks like its release date was closer to the end of the month than the beginning - though this theory depends how literally you take the term "just released". It might narrow the field, but it might be a red herring; I don't know.

The EP got 4Ks in Kerrang!, by the way. Steve Beebee did the honours. As Damian says, if anyone does have the original magazine (I don't - just the page), the date on the front will be a strong piece of evidence for the record's release the following Monday. I think that, generally speaking, Record Collector's dating style just lists the month and year, though I might be wrong.
DarrenStockford

Postby Jules » 24th Feb 09, 22:16

The kerrang review of 'Don't be happy..' was in the November 21st edition.

Also in the same issue a news item about the Wildhearts parting company with Bam. At the end of the article it says 'In the meantime, the band release a 'double ep' titled "don't be happy.."' No actual dates though.

Will keep looking - now I've dug these out of the deepest darkest corners of the attic I might as well.
Jules

Postby Jules » 24th Feb 09, 22:22

November 28th edition has an advert for the EP saying 'Out Now' ... but we knew that. It does suggest maybe back end of the month, rather than front end.
Jules

Postby Ean » 24th Feb 09, 22:33

• The Ad says out now, and the nearest Monday would be the 30th, so after publication date (and it says out now, rather than giving a date after the mag came out).

• The review was K! weekending 21st, so the following Monday was 23rd.

Following Darren and Damian's logic, odds are pretty good it came out on 23rd November.

Image Cheers Jules, I think we've cracked it! Image

Unless anyone knows differently?
Ean Ü

Ean

Next

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat