Queen and punk rock

Off-topic chat. Items cannot be returned without a ticket.

Re: Queen and punk rock

Postby Ross » 23rd Jun 12, 23:09

Problem is, it would be passe. The latest counter-cultural young person's movement is probably already happening, and it's probably hip hop or dubstep. Suffice to say those wishing for a punk revival will be disappointed by whatever crops up, cos it won't look like punk.
Ross

Queen and punk rock

Postby Sarc » 24th Jun 12, 00:44

Maybe so but punk never went away, it just got watered down and look what we have now? A broadway show based on a fucking Green Day album! Yep broadway and show tunes are punk
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby Monica_ICE » 25th Jun 12, 04:08

You know what, Sarc, you have more than a real point there. When I was in high school marching band (I played percussion), a band competition I was in had another band playing........ Guns N Roses "Sweet Child O' Mine". I was so repulsed by that, I could have shriveled up. Since when would the original Guns N Roses sell their heavy metal for marching band sheet music? I've seen more since then, but that was unreal.
Monica_ICE

Postby Monica_ICE » 25th Jun 12, 04:12

One other thing. I consider Motley Crue kind of punk rock/metal. They obviously like punk; they covered it. If Motley Crue were to be together and come out right now over here in the States as their classic (imagine that - "classic") heavy metal / punk metal style, they would be a SMASH_HIT!
Monica_ICE

Queen and punk rock

Postby Sarc » 25th Jun 12, 11:55

Monica_ICE wrote:You know what, Sarc, you have more than a real point there. .

I usually do and I'm usually right to arf
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby Mattie » 25th Jun 12, 22:52

Don't want to talk about old bands,I wasn't around.
My idea of punk at the moment is something like this:

Can't Watch This?
ImageImage
Mattie

Postby Monica_ICE » 23rd Nov 12, 17:30

It just occurred to me as a songwriter where and how to get the best punk songs -- correcting society. The punk from the late '70s as I learned it had a social-society direction. So, punk would be about pointing out what isn't correct in society. Or maybe that's just me. :eh:
Monica_ICE

Postby Ross » 26th Nov 12, 11:37

Some punk has a political edge, but the earliest punk, the real roots were not about that at all. It was musicians without a lot of talent (some were talented), writing about what they knew. The Clash's early stuff was about chucking bricks during the Brixton riots, condom machines in the pub, the Sex Pistols has a slight political edge, the Ramones were not political at all, and just wanted to make big loud dumb pop songs. In punk simplicity was the driver, and if the band had a political agenda that was fine, but it certainly wasn't the root.

Punk is simple songs, played with spit and venom. It should have a DIY or low budget feel to it. The subject doesn't really matter.
Ross

Postby markE » 27th Nov 12, 11:30

Monica_ICE wrote:It just occurred to me as a songwriter where and how to get the best punk songs -- correcting society. The punk from the late '70s as I learned it had a social-society direction. So, punk would be about pointing out what isn't correct in society. Or maybe that's just me. :eh:

but that isn't exclusive to Punk. Virtually all forms of music have songs that were protest songs or songs against the problems in society. as Ross pointed out, many punk songs or bands are not about anything idealistic at all.
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby Radish » 27th Nov 12, 21:44

Isn't the punk ethos to just do whatever the fuck you want, regardless of whether you have ability, style, an audience or not? That may or may not of course include protest songs, or just songs about any old shite.
Terrified, intoxiciated,
Starry eyed and bollock naked...

There's only two complaints I have about the way you are,
That's all you say and all you do...
Radish

Previous

Return to The Cloakroom