books

Off-topic chat. Items cannot be returned without a ticket.

Postby markE » 4th Aug 06, 10:18

wow :D
thanks for the replies everyone one. looks like I'm going to be busy...
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby kitescreech » 3rd Sep 06, 16:47

"Hell bent for Leather" by Seb Hunter - just about his love of Rock/metal from the first thing he heard at school ("Let's get it up" by AC/DC) to being in hs own band. Great fun (except the end) and, being from about the same era I found myself thinking "Shit, thats me...I did that" etc.
"Today is different and tomorow the same"
kitescreech

Re:

Postby markE » 8th Jul 10, 10:20

Radish wrote:Try "The Eight Legged Atomic Dustbin Will Eat Itself" (Wonderstuff, Neds, Poppies) or "Goodnight Jim Bob: On the road with Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine". Both great books with a distinctly Brit perspective on the music business, very different to stuff like Scar Tissue (which is also good).

i found and read t" eight legged etc." interesting but a bit short.
i'm currently half way through "Green Day American Idiots and the new punk explosion" by Ben Myers. its quite interesting although not exactly pullitzer material. the one on kurt cobain - heavier than heaven was good. any one else turned up anything interesting recently?
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

books

Postby Sarc » 8th Jul 10, 11:14

My favourite book of all time is It's All Over But The Shouting, which is about the band the Replacements. It's truly laugh out loud hilarious, a bit weepy and a bit bloody weird.
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Re: books

Postby benwalton » 9th Jul 10, 12:24

Sarc - had no idea The Replacements had a book out about them...I've just ordered it, thanks.

Other good msuic books...Nikki Sixx's Heroin Diaries, if you enjoyed The Dirt how about Tommyland by Tommy Lee...it's more of the same but kind of weird, his dick talks to him.
and just last week as i was clearing shit from off my shelf...
benwalton

books

Postby Sarc » 9th Jul 10, 12:33

It's a fantastic book, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

There's another book out by a guy called Michael Azzerad about underground 80s bands from America called something along the lines of Your Band Was My Life. It features the replacements, butthole surfers, husked du, beat happening an tons of other bands. I lost my copy years ago and so far haven't got round to replacing it boooooo.
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby Shandybang » 9th Jul 10, 17:42

One of the best books i've read is Steve Earles biography called Hardcore Troubadour.
Full of drugs, drink and women.
Shandybang

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 9th Jul 10, 21:00

Sarc wrote:It's a fantastic book, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

There's another book out by a guy called Michael Azzerad about underground 80s bands from America called something along the lines of Your Band Was My Life. It features the replacements, butthole surfers, husked du, beat happening an tons of other bands. I lost my copy years ago and so far haven't got round to replacing it boooooo.

that's "our band could be your life" - tis a really good read, even if you're not into all the bands it covers. (although that said, i do wonder why beat happening were covered, the few songs of theirs i've heard have been total utter dogshit).
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
spoon_of_grimbo

Postby Jules » 10th Jul 10, 15:31

Shandybang wrote:One of the best books i've read is Steve Earles biography called Hardcore Troubadour.

I thought that was a great read. Steve Earle also has a book of short stories out called "Doghouse Roses". Having read the biography first you can see where he gets the inspiration for his short stories from.
Jules

Postby Jules » 10th Jul 10, 16:03

Another music biography that's a great read is "The Real Frank Zappa Book". Whether you like his music or not this gives a real insight into the man himself.
Jules

Postby vickyp » 10th Jul 10, 22:34

Oooh goody, a book thread! :D :geek:

For LA-style Rockers getting up to no good:
The Dirt / Heroin Diaries / Scar Tissue / Slash's autobiography / Lemmy's 'White Line Fever'
All good reads and have plenty funny/gross/cringeworthy bits in.

I've got a lot of the Clash books, the best two I would recommond are 'Passion is a Fashion' by Pat Gilbert and 'Let Fury have the hour' (can't remember author). My favourite ever Clash book is 'Before and After', but that's purely a collection of Pennie Smith's brilliant photos, with captions added by the band and Pennie.

If you like the Manics, Simon Price's 'Everything (A book about Manic Street Preachers)' is the best thing you're going to find on the subject.

Other recommended reads:
Cider with Roadies - Stuart Maconie
John Robb’s ‘Punk Rock’
Please Kill me: Uncensored Oral History of Punk - Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain
Lester Bangs – Psychotic Reactions & carburettor dung

Regardless of whether or not you are familar with his music, I would recommend reading TV Smith's Punk Rock Tour Diaries for an account of a guy still out there after decades plying his songs long after the media has forgotton he exists. I read this when I was in hospital and I ended up feeling more sorry for him than for myself.

I've also read Courtney Love's diaries but I wouldn't really recommend them. More pictures than words, lots of padding.

My favourite music novel is 'The music in my head' – Mark Hudson. It's about African music but boils down to the same themes of obsession and love of music.

Well that's more than enough from me. Any more for any more?
Zorro won't build me a time machine
vickyp

Re:

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 11th Jul 10, 18:40

Radish wrote:And how could I forget John Peel's "Margrave of the Marshes". Really hits home what a great bloke he was.
That's a really interesting book. As is Lemmy's 'White Line Fever' - although the last half of it seems like it was finished in a hurry and just skims through the last few years. It gives a very interesting insight into life in the UK and the music scene in the 1950's/60's.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Led Zep book 'Hammer Of The Gods'. Not brilliantly written but still a great story. I'm also surprised no one has mentioned John Lydon's 'Rotten' - his very interesting account of his upbringing and time in the Sex Pistols.

Also worthy of mention: Brett Callwood's MC5 book 'Sonically Speaking' and Stooges 'A Journey Through The Michigan Underworld'.
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Postby Radish » 10th Sep 10, 09:12

Not strictly a rock n' roll book, although maybe it is, out in 56 days or something is this - https://www.waterstones.com/waterstones ... n/7813874/ - which will apparently contain the bit I did on 6music way back about the hole I used to live in (Malmesbury/Creeping Doom), which was accompanied by I Wanna Go... Not sure if the book will contain the song too mind.
Terrified, intoxiciated,
Starry eyed and bollock naked...

There's only two complaints I have about the way you are,
That's all you say and all you do...
Radish

Postby DangerousBeans » 16th Sep 10, 21:06

Just finished Jack Dees book Thanks for Nothing and now trying to decide whether to read Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett or Pandaemonium by Chris Brookmyre
Seems such a shame but it kept us entertained

Darren Brodie
DangerousBeans

Postby piesJoy » 19th Sep 10, 17:01

I have a terrible attention span with books, but 'High fidelity' was alright if memory serves correctly.
'mix the colours, watch the smoke'.

'I tried to warn you, but your in Clown Town....'
piesJoy

PreviousNext

Return to The Cloakroom