Chutzpah!

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Chutzpah!

Postby tustintime » 7th May 11, 20:28

Isn't Chutzpah! fucking smashing?

I've listened to it a lot the past few days, and as a dude who has greeted every release since Endless/Nameless with little more than indifference, Chutzpah! is rapidly entering my Wildhearts Album Chart in a high position. #3, I think.

I know you've probably done this to death, but I HAVE RETURNED, and I DEMAND TO BE HEARD.
The ORIGINAL Velvetpresley. Well, after the Velvetpresley the song is about. And the song, obviously.

Yeah.
tustintime

Re: Chutzpah!

Postby lost johnny » 7th May 11, 20:38

Gonna agree with you [but only if we agree it's joint #3 with ...must be destroyed], the live run-through was what convinced me of the strength of the tunes.
"I'm living in a nightmare she's looking like a wet dream
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline."
lost johnny

Postby Zoloft » 8th May 11, 10:59

Chutzpah is my absolute favorite WH/G album, I've made many people WH believers because of it. . .
"Be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut paraphrased from his novel "Mother Night."
Zoloft

Postby beerofthedark » 9th May 11, 11:18

It's my favourite post reformation release, and holds it own well against the original albums - and that's from someone who has enjoyed almost everything they've done since they got back together.
"I have a barrel of opinions
lonely, lonely
I am everlone, everlone"
beerofthedark

Postby Keith Richard » 9th May 11, 11:53

It is a great album, with some of their best individual cuts. However, it just doesn't do for me what 2007 self titled album does. :coat:
cause the chances are good that it wont let you down, like maybe drinking with Keith, or seeing Dolly Parton's tits...
Keith Richard

Postby blackdeathcrew » 9th May 11, 12:37

Yep, have to agree, is my favourite WH release, alongside Endless Nameless!
ImageImage
blackdeathcrew

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 9th May 11, 20:32

I think it's up there with their best if you include Jnr with it too. The likes of Vernix, Zeen Requiem, Some Days Just Fucking Suck and All that Zen are probably my favourites out of the whole sessions along with You took the Sunshine from New York.

In fact I would add Chutzpah, Jackson Whites and Plastic Jebus for the ultimate version of Chutzpah!
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Postby Benny Hiroshima » 10th May 11, 11:47

Indeed is a great album - and one that has changed many of friend's opinion of the Wildhearts. Because of that album, the guys in my band are now big WH fans and we've even done a couple of Wildies covers since.

What makes the album such a fantastic one is that the Wildhearts really pushed the boat out by doing something sonically different to their previous offerings. The production was flawless and there is a lot to be said how the band managed to overcome the difficulties during the recording process, as well as the brave decision to decamp to nowheresville in Denmark away from their families. The latter is one hell of an achievement considering the turmoil that has surrounded the Wildhearts in the past.

Chutzpah is made all the more sweeter by the mini-album which accompanied it, which was somewhat akin to showboating (which all shit-hot rock bands could do). As if a classic and career best was not enough, they went "oh and here's a collection of more songs that pisses over the most bands albums tracks").

Only downside is commercially the album didn't break through to the mainstream.
Benny Hiroshima

Postby NeilBlister » 10th May 11, 12:20

I think Chutzpah is a great album but i just dont like it very much. There are some great songs on it, the production is top quality but overall i think the majority of the songs are lacking something. Not sure what but it just doesnt give me the same buzz that i get when listening to the other albums.
That being said, Jackson Whites, Tim Smith and Some Days Just Fucking Suck are up there with my favourate wildhearts songs but the album as a whole is quite possibly bottom of my list.
NeilBlister

Postby Benny Hiroshima » 10th May 11, 13:42

Oh and it would be amazing to see some promo vids done for the album.

Isn't there someone on here who could make a de-facto promo vid for any of the songs. There's some guy on YouTube who did an amazing job of taking clips from movies (like Darren Aronovsky's Pi) and putting them together with songs from the Manics' Journal For Plague Lovers. If I had the know how or the software I'd do something, but sadly I don't.

Jackson Whites would look amazing with lots of fast-cut clips from Spiderman or other fillums set in New York.
Benny Hiroshima

Postby Ross » 12th May 11, 10:10

It's an absolutely outstanding album, with one low point, You Are the Proof That Not All Women Are Insane. Hate the song... But add on Chutzph Jr, and the collection of songs is easily as good as anything they've ever done.

See Mazel Tov Cocktail played at the acoustic show recently... That song was designed to be played live. It's awesome!
Ross

Postby Ross » 12th May 11, 10:12

Benny Hiroshima wrote:Oh and it would be amazing to see some promo vids done for the album.

Isn't there someone on here who could make a de-facto promo vid for any of the songs. There's some guy on YouTube who did an amazing job of taking clips from movies (like Darren Aronovsky's Pi) and putting them together with songs from the Manics' Journal For Plague Lovers. If I had the know how or the software I'd do something, but sadly I don't.

Jackson Whites would look amazing with lots of fast-cut clips from Spiderman or other fillums set in New York.

I loved this literal interpretation of You Took the Sunshine...

Can't Watch This?
Ross

Postby Chris DLS » 12th May 11, 18:03

that's brilliant :lol:
Chris DLS

Postby thegweywabbit » 29th May 11, 07:24

Chutzpah! & Jnr. have now surpassed p.h.u.q. as my fav of all time!!!
classic!!!
Rooting 4 THE WILDHEARTS!!!
jd
thegweywabbit

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat