Wildhearts Artwork and album covers

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Wildhearts Artwork and album covers

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 22nd Aug 10, 14:06

Question to Wildhearts fans - what is your favourite artwork the band have used? Do you like the cartoony Earth Vs/Don't be Happy style? Danny Deen's bizarre work? The slicker Chutzpah look?

My favourite album cover and artwork is PHUQ. It looked really cool and strange and just seemed to go so well with the music. I liked the t-shirts with these images on too. The only thing is I would have had both single releases carry on with the same artwork. The passport pack of 'I wanna Go..' was quite novel but i prefer when a band has the same style artwork for a specific era/album.

I was never keen on the whole messy cartoon look that the band sometimes favoured eg the inside cover of Earth Vs. I didn't mind it in the videos of the songs but that sort of artwork never appealed to me.

Saying that, the album artwok does seem to marry pretty well with the band's music/state at the time, Earth Vs being quite a chaotic/punky one take record, and the slick Chutzpah look went well with the album too, the excellent production and trimmed down songs. The cover of the white album is more impressive when you see it as a full size painting.
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Re: Wildhearts Artwork and album covers

Postby piesJoy » 22nd Aug 10, 17:52

Personally, I think 'Earth Vs.' has it nailed. It has a lot of work put into it. Cool layout. Nice lettering (or font!) Great illustration (the cartoons inside), cool front cover. I've also always liked the black and white pic of the band on the inside sleeve, it just looks cool. I'd love to see outakes, and I often wonder how much say Ginger has on all of this sort of thing come to think of it....

How could I forget....

A lot of the artwork for Gingers singles club I like too. As well as the stuff on the TWMBD albums inner sleeve.... :mrgreen:
'mix the colours, watch the smoke'.

'I tried to warn you, but your in Clown Town....'
piesJoy

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 22nd Aug 10, 18:09

Yeah I forgot to mention the singles club covers. They are very cool, a nice style to them, pity that project didn't get finished.
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Postby nadgers » 24th Aug 10, 00:52

I have to say, the early cartoony stuff of Earth Vs has my vote, but that's cos I'm a big fan of Hunt Emerson who did the artwork and Wildhearts logo of that era. I was in touch with him recently asking him about it and he's a really canny guy. Ginger's a fan too, which is why he asked him to do it. If you like that sorta thing I strongly suggest you look him up - he's done some amazing stuff over his long career. Second place is definitely the Paul "Danny" Deen PHUQ stuff though. I do a bit of scribbling myself and both of those artists were massive influences on me as a kid.
nadgers

Postby lob » 24th Aug 10, 15:50

Endless Nameless would get my vote, swaggering urban cowboys, very cool
Now available in new Grandad format
lob

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat