Interesting Amazon reviews..

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Interesting Amazon reviews..

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 10th Aug 10, 13:45

I was looking at the other Wildhearts albums on Amazon and saw this 3 star one of Earth VS-

"Oh im gonna get lynched for this im sure but this album isnt the bees knees as people suggest,they however have their opinion so im entitled to mine,this isnt the best wildhearts album either,i aint gonna say that i live and breathe for the wildhearts but i know that 'the wildhearts must be destroyed' is a far better album and contains little in the way of filler,this album has some average stuff but on the flipside it contains some great wee rock n roll numbers.
This as debut goes isnt that bad but its hardly 'Appetite for destruction',as i said there are plenty of memorable tunes here all backed with driving riffs and great supporting vocals,'tv tan' is an obvious high point,but then there are tracks like miles away girl' and 'suckerpunch' that are just drab when compared to the great tracks.
This is a good solid album but i refuse to get carried away,3 stars and thats that."

This review of Chutzpah also seems to rate "...Must be Destroyed" too -

"I was a bit worried about the previous Wildhearts album, it lacked the balls of previous efforts. Nothing will come close to the excellence of 'Earth Vs.' although 'The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed' came close.

Chutzpah! for me as a massive Wildhearts fan is a huge disappointment, some songs start out promising, then without warning, the song gets castrated and becomes a harmony, drivel-driven mess. It sounds like US college rock, not something that a geordie with an attitude would record.

Ginger, grow your balls back, record a killer album next time, and I may forgive Chutzpah! or I may abandon any new Wildhearts material and listen to the old albums and pretend it ended with them."

Weird. :wtf:
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Re: Interesting Amazon reviews..

Postby thegweywabbit » 11th Aug 10, 09:55

interesting that... and a bit insane too.

Chutzpah! ROCKS!!!

it's in my top 10 favorite albums of all time! my favorite WH album has always been p.h.u.q., but if I'm to be honest, I gotta say that Chutzpah! has moved to the top spot... my desert island disc! I usually like something different each time out, but If the Wildhearts next cd is in the same vein as Chutzpah!, I for one would be thrilled.

I always thought that "The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed" was vastly underrated when it came out, but time has been kind and I think it's moved up the list for many fans.

Chutzpah! received rave reviews from both fans and critics alike.
I'd say that one dude is off his rocker! :dur:
Rooting 4 THE WILDHEARTS!!!
jd
thegweywabbit

Postby Benny Hiroshima » 11th Aug 10, 12:18

Subsitute the word interesting for "wrong" if you ask me.

Chutzpah! was easily one of the best albums of 2009 and all my mates (from metalheads to pop loving kids) who hated WH previously ended up loving this album, and some of them getting into the 'Hearts.

The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed was, in my opinion, the band's worst studio album to date. There's some great tunes on there (Nexus Icon, Top Of The World), but then there's also some boring and uninspiring ones which should have ended up as b-sides (One Life, Get Your Groove, Inside). It's not surprising the album was such a mixed bag given the personal problems of Ginge and the whole Danny McCormack saga at the time.

Endless Nameless was a far better album than Destroyed easily. May be a noisey mess to some, but to me it's one of the finest sonic pieces of art from the 1990s - right up there with The Holy Bible and In Utero.

So whoever wrote those reviews are damn wrong and too short sighted.
Benny Hiroshima

Postby wildsam6o » 11th Aug 10, 14:58

everyones got there opinions,

but this persons views on the albums have got to be wrong haha
wildsam6o

Postby Zoloft » 11th Aug 10, 19:53

Ironically, "Must Be Destroyed" was my first introduction to The Wildhearts. Living in the US didn't give me many opportunities for exposure, and it's what made me a fan. Chutzpah is, in my opinion their best album, and if we see more like it, I'd be thrilled. E.N. is the only record I don't actually care to listen to.
"Be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut paraphrased from his novel "Mother Night."
Zoloft

Postby WiredOut » 12th Aug 10, 11:40

The thing is, absolutely any opinion you could conceive of probably exists as a belief in someone's head out there in internet land, factually accurate or not. There's probably someone out there who thinks that Chutzpah was by far the worst bluegrass covers album of 1976.
'C'mon, make me feel like me.'
WiredOut

Postby Ross » 12th Aug 10, 16:35

People actually voted for George Bush...

I rest my case...
Ross

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 12th Aug 10, 21:57

Yeah I know but I am surprised anyone would rate ..Must be Destroyed over Earth Vs and also Chutzpah! too. That does not compute.
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Postby nadgers » 12th Aug 10, 23:20

At least the guy actually has some Wildies stuff he likes! Believe it or not, I've heard of some people who can't find a single song out of the varied hundreds they've recorded that they can actually stand listening to! Now that's mad!

Personally, I thought Chutzpah was great when it came out but I got pretty bored of half the songs and now just skip to the 4 or 5 songs I still can't get too much of. Think that's still pretty good going like - the only album by any band I can actually listen to without skipping at least a couple of tracks is Endless Nameless! As for Must Be Destroyed, think I listened to it once when I bought it but did nowt for me really.
nadgers

Postby Ross » 13th Aug 10, 13:10

Phil Connors wrote:People like blood sausage too, people are morons.
Ross

Postby WiredOut » 17th Aug 10, 12:06

nadgers wrote:At least the guy actually has some Wildies stuff he likes! Believe it or not, I've heard of some people who can't find a single song out of the varied hundreds they've recorded that they can actually stand listening to! Now that's mad!

Yeah, it's funny how The Wildhearts are like musical kryptonite to so many people. I think it might be the 'too metal for the pop fans, too pop for the metalheads' thing, or the vocal or heavy guitar styles, or sometimes the production job, but sometimes I (conceitedly?) just think there's too much going on in the music for some people's brains to process.

Hard rock, metal, punk, pop, rock'n'roll, psychedelia, thrash, glam, even elements of funk and almost supercharged turbo rapping vocals going on all together. Sweet, sensitive, wise, warm, vivacious, violent, vicious lyrical stuff going on all together. 58 different melodies and 79 different riffs going on in one song.

My brother's an accomplished musician, composer and sound engineer, likes The Wildhearts and points out that there's so many passages and progressions and changes going on in some songs that it reminds him of evolving movements of classical music. I sometimes think you've got to have widely-ranging tastes, a widely-accepting, open-minded attitude and a musically agile auditory cortex to really 'get' a lot of this stuff and some people don't have them. But I would say that. ;)
WiredOut

Postby Nojahoda » 17th Aug 10, 13:26

WiredOut wrote:
nadgers wrote:At least the guy actually has some Wildies stuff he likes! Believe it or not, I've heard of some people who can't find a single song out of the varied hundreds they've recorded that they can actually stand listening to! Now that's mad!

Yeah, it's funny how The Wildhearts are like musical kryptonite to so many people. I think it might be the 'too metal for the pop fans, too pop for the metalheads' thing, or the vocal or heavy guitar styles, or sometimes the production job, but sometimes I (conceitedly?) just think there's too much going on in the music for some people's brains to process.

Hard rock, metal, punk, pop, rock'n'roll, psychedelia, thrash, glam, even elements of funk and almost supercharged turbo rapping vocals going on all together. Sweet, sensitive, wise, warm, vivacious, violent, vicious lyrical stuff going on all together. 58 different melodies and 79 different riffs going on in one song.

My brother's an accomplished musician, composer and sound engineer, likes The Wildhearts and points out that there's so many passages and progressions and changes going on in some songs that it reminds him of evolving movements of classical music. I sometimes think you've got to have widely-ranging tastes, a widely-accepting, open-minded attitude and a musically agile auditory cortex to really 'get' a lot of this stuff and some people don't have them. But I would say that. ;)

So what you're really saying is that the Wildhearts are a prog band? ;P

I find it incredible that there are people out there who can't find a single WH song that they can stand, particularly if these people profess to like "Rock" music.
Nojahoda

Postby Ross » 17th Aug 10, 13:48

WiredOut wrote:

Yeah, it's funny how The Wildhearts are like musical kryptonite to so many people. I think it might be the 'too metal for the pop fans, too pop for the metalheads' thing, or the vocal or heavy guitar styles, or sometimes the production job,

That's a reason I've heard quoted for the recent albums. The compression on everything from the reformation up to Chutzpah is absolutely ear-bleedy... Same for the solo albums, only more so. It's a real shame.
Ross

Postby WiredOut » 17th Aug 10, 19:07

Ross wrote:
WiredOut wrote:

Yeah, it's funny how The Wildhearts are like musical kryptonite to so many people. I think it might be the 'too metal for the pop fans, too pop for the metalheads' thing, or the vocal or heavy guitar styles, or sometimes the production job,

That's a reason I've heard quoted for the recent albums. The compression on everything from the reformation up to Chutzpah is absolutely ear-bleedy... Same for the solo albums, only more so. It's a real shame.

Yeah, it's funny how the raw '...Destroyed' demoes sound more naturalistic and listenable to me than the stifled, deadened sound of the final album.

And how much sharper and crisper does PHUQ sound than the self-titled album, even though they use pretty much the same instrumentation, and the latter followed by 12 years? You'd think an album recorded a dozen years into PHUQ's future would sound substantially better, not worse.

The worst example though must be the UK edition of Black Leather Mojo. The Japanese original sounds sparklingly vibrant compared to the gramophone-in-the-belly-of-a-whale mufflefest of the British version.

Just seems a perversely self-defeating treatment of such essentially great music sometimes, especially combined with the low vocal mixing that sometimes goes on.
WiredOut

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat