PHUQ & Endless Nameless re-released?

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Re: PHUQ & Endless Nameless re-released?

Postby piesJoy » 23rd Sep 10, 16:29

Seen 'Endless Nameless' in HMV today. A mighty 15 quid a throw. All the B-sides on the second disc, but no outakes nor 'Push' to be found.....
'mix the colours, watch the smoke'.

'I tried to warn you, but your in Clown Town....'
piesJoy

Postby sixfthick » 23rd Sep 10, 23:41

All four re-releases are now up on the Cherry Red website
http://www.cherryred.co.uk/lemon/artists/wildhearts.php

Just bought all four albums direct from the Cherry Red store (plus Corrosion of Conformity's Deliverence/Wiseblood double pack) for 35 pounds (plus 14.45 delivery/insurance to Australia). Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. Now I just have to wait....
OK. Sick of waiting. I want them now!
sixfthick

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 25th Sep 10, 04:43

any news yet on if they've all been remastered?
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
spoon_of_grimbo

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 27th Sep 10, 21:34

It seems doubtful, it would be on the Amazon blurb if they were right?

It's weird how they have put b-sides to Earth Vs songs on the FFL album. I guess it was to make room for Don't be Happy Just Worry on the Earth Vs cd. They even have Caffeine Bomb and Suckerpunch on the bonus disk of FFL. Then you have FFL b-sides on PHUQ...:wtf:
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Postby Stuart Brackpool » 28th Sep 10, 08:48

Clearly, chronological accuracy means little to these people. Still like that they're being rereleased, makes it easier for the newbies to pick up all the early stuff.
Stuart Brackpool

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 29th Sep 10, 13:11

piesJoy wrote:Seen 'Endless Nameless' in HMV today. A mighty 15 quid a throw. All the B-sides on the second disc, but no outakes nor 'Push' to be found.....
Does anybody still actually buy CDs from real shops at those prices? If so - why? :shrug:
You can easily find both re-issues (2 CD versions) online for under a tenner. ;)
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Postby DangerousBeans » 29th Sep 10, 22:16

HMV are getting ridiculous.
I noticed the one in Ayr selling the new Danzig album for £20 on cd.

They were also selling the Avatar Blu Ray with DVD for 29.99 when Tesco etc were selling it for £17.99
Seems such a shame but it kept us entertained

Darren Brodie
DangerousBeans

Postby thegweywabbit » 30th Sep 10, 06:24

well... I for one am keeping my fingers crossed that all 4 of these albums and (kind of) corresponding b-sides were in fact remastered, if for no other reason that all of them (except p.h.u.q. which was mastered at the perfect level and sounds fantastic as is) sound like they were mastered at too low a volume. in the case of Endless, Nameless, the use of heavy compression and distortion on the trax, combined with the very low levels during mastering matters alot to the overall sound quality.

"the works" collection doesn't have any Endless, Nameless trax on it, but I did an A/B comparison with a few trax from "Earth Vs. and some of the b-sides and they were at the very least, pressed to disc at a hotter level even if not technically remastered. it's not the same as simply turning up the volume when playing the disc back. it's like more audio information made it to the disc and it sounds to me like they also pressed it to disc at a higher bit rate. I was able to pick out the songs from "the works" every single time. a very noticeable upgrade. if just that much is done on these reissues, then they are all must haves IMHO. if a true remastering was done by going back to the original master tapes and not just repressing the discs from the old glass masters, then we really are in for a treat. if not... I just blew £35 on all four reissues. at the very least, I'm hoping the new liner notes and additional pix and such make these discs worth owning anyway as I already own every single track, as well as having the "Moodswings" boxset and "the works" collection. looking forward to being able to give "the works" collection to my sister as she's only heard "Chutzpah" and the self titled "white" album and loves them both. it's time to turn her on to the rest of the story :)
Rooting 4 THE WILDHEARTS!!!
jd
thegweywabbit

Postby piesJoy » 30th Sep 10, 16:25

I can't actually remember when I last bought a CD from a real record shop, now that you mention it. I buy mostly from web sites. Other than second hand record shops, or discount stores (Fopp is a good choice, who despite being cheap, I'm sure are run by HMV now, correct me if I'm wrong!). 15 quid for endless Nameless is taking the piss (joy) :).

Dark Lord of Barnet wrote:
piesJoy wrote:Seen 'Endless Nameless' in HMV today. A mighty 15 quid a throw. All the B-sides on the second disc, but no outakes nor 'Push' to be found.....
Does anybody still actually buy CDs from real shops at those prices? If so - why? :shrug:
You can easily find both re-issues (2 CD versions) online for under a tenner. ;)
'mix the colours, watch the smoke'.

'I tried to warn you, but your in Clown Town....'
piesJoy

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 30th Sep 10, 20:27

The 2 cd version of Earth Vs on Play.com is cheaper than the single cd original version, £8 compared to £12.
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Postby Keith Richard » 1st Oct 10, 06:36

Has anyone been able to confirm or otherwise that these re-releases have been sonically improved? Also, if, as stated, these are Ginger endorsed and blessed, why was there no offical mention here on the website? I'd love to have these 2 CD sets, but would hope that band are receiving full royalties.
cause the chances are good that it wont let you down, like maybe drinking with Keith, or seeing Dolly Parton's tits...
Keith Richard

Postby boneshj » 11th Oct 10, 17:45

I'm also curious about the packaging and liner notes. Are there any new goodies, or just an essay from some random guy.
boneshj

Earth Vs Re-issue

Postby EvilElvis » 11th Oct 10, 23:41

Available on Amazon
EvilElvis

Postby neiljunkster » 14th Oct 10, 08:51

Are the first 4 songs on the second disc of the new Earth Vs release the Mondo version's or the DBHJW versions? The track listing is the same as Mondo which makes me think it will be these rather than DBHJW....

If so, its an instant purchase as i dont have Mondo....
In my opinion the new Earth Vs release and the new double disc release of FFL are probably the best collection of Wildhearts songs out there.
neiljunkster

Postby DangerousBeans » 14th Oct 10, 15:40

neiljunkster wrote:Are the first 4 songs on the second disc of the new Earth Vs release the Mondo version's or the DBHJW versions? The track listing is the same as Mondo which makes me think it will be these rather than DBHJW....

If so, its an instant purchase as i dont have Mondo....

Same goes for me.

I've ordered Endless Nameless already but i can feel the need to buy the remastered versions rising anyway..
Seems such a shame but it kept us entertained

Darren Brodie
DangerousBeans

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat