29x The Pain/Easter/Primary School

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

29x The Pain/Easter/Primary School

Postby WiredOut » 1st May 10, 21:54

Ok, this story's only slightly less odd than the topic title, I think. But the boards are sluggish right now, so what the heck. Being a primary school teacher whose short contract at a school ended on the last day before the Easter holidays, I was asked by the (lovely and groovy) headteacher to do a 'Desert Island Discs' type-thing as my farewell for the Easter Service. I was asked to choose some things that were important to me; a couple of songs, a piece of clothing, a book, an important item. So respectively I chose 29x The Pain and Revolution by The Beatles, my Wildhearts Chutzpah T-shirt (the fan competition-winning one), 'How The Mind Works' by Steven Pinker and, of course, a DVD copy of Jaws.

That was all I knew. Now, we had to go through the usual Jesus shenanigans with the entirety of the school's kids present, plus many of their parents and grandparents assembled. But all the time there was a large throne-shaped wooden chair sitting at the right-hand side of the stage, covered in kid-made paper palm leaves. And I thought 'Hang on, is that throne for Jesus, or maybe somebody MORE IMPORTANT?' ;) Turns out my vainglorious suspicions were confirmed. After we'd got the Son of God out of the way (like, yawn!), I was invited to walk through the throngs of nippers, and take my, ahem, rightful place upon the palmed throne at the side of the stage.

And then the head turned to me and said 'We're going to hear a bit of a track now, that I think is a very important song to our departing staff member.' So I then sat on a palm-decorated throne upon a stage, in front of a gaggle of headbanging kids and bemused-looking OAPS whilst the intro and first verse of 29x The Pain rolled out of a ghetto blaster and over the throng (The Works version, detail fans). And I thought, y'know, this feels exactly right. ;)

So afterwards I had to talk to everyone about why this song was important to me, and explain that it's been my favourite song since I was 17 (I'm 31 now), because it's my favourite song by my favourite band and songwriter, and it's a song about other songs. And it's all about how music can enrich your life and, maybe, sometimes make that life worth living by letting you know that others feel like you too. And because it can 'make you feel like you'.

So, a strange but rather lovely experience. And I can forever claim that once, Jesus was my support act. Due, in part, to the glory of Ginger and The Wildhearts. ;)
Last edited by WiredOut on 1st May 10, 23:17, edited 2 times in total.
'C'mon, make me feel like me.'
WiredOut

Re: 29x The Pain/Easter/Primary School

Postby Smithy » 1st May 10, 22:32

What a brilliant story! 8-)
Smithy

Postby WiredOut » 1st May 10, 23:07

Smithy wrote:What a brilliant story! 8-)

:) I can't even tell what the slidey-eyed smileybones mean half the time in this body-language deficient medium. If you thought it was a rubbish story, sorry. It's just the board is so slow just now so I thought I'd self-indulgently put up the most, er, 'interesting' Wildies-related thing that's happened to me recently. If you didn't think it was rubbish, er, yeah! ;)

P.S. 8-)
'C'mon, make me feel like me.'
WiredOut

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 1st May 10, 23:35

Yes - great story! :mrgreen:
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Postby Ean » 2nd May 10, 00:42

WiredOut wrote:
Smithy wrote:What a brilliant story! 8-)

:) I can't even tell what the slidey-eyed smileybones mean half the time in this body-language deficient medium. If you thought it was a rubbish story, sorry. It's just the board is so slow just now so I thought I'd self-indulgently put up the most, er, 'interesting' Wildies-related thing that's happened to me recently. If you didn't think it was rubbish, er, yeah! ;)

P.S. 8-)

Nice story. :)

This one: 8-) is 'cool'. If you hover your pointer over the smiley, it should tell you what it means.

...and no, I don't know why the one in Dom's post is called Mr Green. That's just what they decided to call it, I suppose. ;)
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Ginger » 2nd May 10, 12:02

I LOVED this story. Thank you.

Gx
Ginger

Postby Smithy » 2nd May 10, 14:45

WiredOut wrote: :) I can't even tell what the slidey-eyed smileybones mean half the time in this body-language deficient medium. If you thought it was a rubbish story, sorry. It's just the board is so slow just now so I thought I'd self-indulgently put up the most, er, 'interesting' Wildies-related thing that's happened to me recently. If you didn't think it was rubbish, er, yeah! ;)

P.S. 8-)

No I didn't think it was rubbish at all. I genuinely thought it was a brilliant story!
Smithy

Postby vickyp » 2nd May 10, 21:11

That is a lovely story. :D
Zorro won't build me a time machine
vickyp

Postby WildCat » 3rd May 10, 17:34

Awesome story!
Control, we have a code 5. He is small, orange and has a broken fin. Yes, he's a fish.
WildCat

Postby Radish » 4th May 10, 10:10

Brilliant, superb, top stuff, made me smile ear to ear on a Monday (ok, Tuesday but bank hol yesterday so today is a substitute Monday) thank you very much! :clap:
Terrified, intoxiciated,
Starry eyed and bollock naked...

There's only two complaints I have about the way you are,
That's all you say and all you do...
Radish

Postby markE » 4th May 10, 10:13

awww, what a lovely tale. good job you didn't choose the sweetest song :eeek: :eeek: :eek:
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby beerofthedark » 11th May 10, 10:16

Loved the story. And kudos on the Pinker book, too.
"I have a barrel of opinions
lonely, lonely
I am everlone, everlone"
beerofthedark

Postby pglove » 21st May 10, 13:27

I loved that too!!! Made me smile immensely. Thanks for sharing :D
pglove

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat