Ever thought about or regretted selling Wildhearts rarities?

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Re: Ever thought about or regretted selling Wildhearts rarities?

Postby Damian » 29th Mar 10, 13:30

I've learnt to be massively unsentimental about all this. If I can hear every track in some way, shape or form, I don't need every format. Also, a couple of years back, I sold a lot of CDs that I knew I'd never listen to again.

It probably helps that I live in a one-bedroom flat... there isn't the room to be precious about anything really. One entire wall of my lounge - the only large room in the flat - is given over to 15 ceiling high racks which are now almost full of CDs and DVDs, so once I've gotten all of it onto my iPod (funnily enough, I'm halfway through The Wildhearts, running alphabetically), the singles will all be boxed away somewhere. Many of them I may even sell or give to a charity shop, with the exception of any that I wouldn't want to lose if my hard drive exploded, so obviously that includes the Wildhearts singles.

There are limits. I still like CDs and listening to them on a nice stereo, rather than an iPod through a dock. That's still the format I buy everything on, although I then rip it to iTunes, and I'll never be taking my albums off display.
Damian

Postby Tazbert » 30th Mar 10, 10:39

Funnily enough, I've just flogged several bits o'vinyl to Vicky on here and TBH like Damian, I'm not that fussed. 10 years ago, I'd never have thought about it. I love the Wildhearts and wanted all the stuff they'd released on all formats. But as I've got older, I've come to realise they're just things. And in a lot of cases, things that have no practical use to me.

I have a small flat, my missus has moved in with me (bringing her own extensive CD collection!) and I don't have room for a turntable, let alone want one. Why leave 'em sitting gathering dust when someone else can have the pleasure of owning them?

Hence why they went on trading corner on here.

Think the change in attitude came about 5 years back. I was out of work & struggling to pay my mortgage big time. So I fell back on the one thing I had left. A fucking massive selection of rock\metal t-shirts I'd bought over years of going to about 100 gigs a year. So I flogged about 250-300 on eBay at an average of about 9 quid a time and it went a long way towards keeping a roof over my head.

Since then, I've been a lot more 'meh' about stuff like this.

Miserable old fucker aren't I? :mrgreen:
Lovin' every dog on the Lower East side
Tazbert

Postby macc lad » 30th Mar 10, 13:07

Needs must my friend, fortunatley i've never been in that position and hope never to be, but if things have to be sold then so be it.
Ask lots of questions dont eat the bullshit
macc lad

Postby piesJoy » 30th Mar 10, 19:05

RE: Mondo

CD. I have to say mind you, never in my life have I heard a record with such an awful production. I originally bought it in a second hand shop for a couple of quid.
'mix the colours, watch the smoke'.

'I tried to warn you, but your in Clown Town....'
piesJoy

Postby wildsam6o » 5th Apr 10, 12:35

ok, so who shelled out £180 for the white album test pressing on ebay?
wildsam6o

Postby Kyukyuichi » 6th Apr 10, 12:35

Also who has won New Flesh Promo DVD for over 90ukp? :eeek:
Kyukyuichi

Postby Marky Mark » 6th Apr 10, 15:04

I was lucky enough to win the New Flesh promo DVD, was gutted to get outbid on the Test Pressing. Thought my bid of £175 was way over the odds and couldn't believe it went for more.

Congrats to the winning bidder if they are a board member.
Marky Mark

Postby wildsam6o » 6th Apr 10, 18:30

i cannot believe the new flesh promo went for that much.....
wildsam6o

Postby Sarc » 6th Apr 10, 18:37

Neither can I, no wonder no buggers buying the shirts I'm selling they're spending all their money on that.
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby vickyp » 7th Apr 10, 21:00

Cheers for those vinyls Tazbert! Top quality stuff, you've looked after these.
I have the urge to fill the other gaps in my collection now.

I don't think I'd ever sell my rarities, but then I'm a total horder. But you don't know what the future holds so never say never. I'm running out of shelf space for records again though! Time to archive some less good bands to the attic :twisted:
Zorro won't build me a time machine
vickyp

Postby Trudi » 8th Apr 10, 20:46

I sold a couple of VHS promo videos a while back - had copies of them and haven't regretted it.
Most of our stuff is digitised but we still have a floor to ceiling cupboard of vinyl and CDs that we haven't made any decisions about. Jase is also working his way through transferring a crate of cassette tapes (now *that* is laborious!), and disposing of the originals (generally boot fair or bin, there's nothing precious there).

I second the 'if in doubt, don't sell it' mindset - I have quite a bit of stuff that I've been really glad I've hung on to over the years.
Trudi

Postby Tazbert » 9th Apr 10, 17:51

vickyp wrote:Cheers for those vinyls Tazbert! Top quality stuff, you've looked after these.
I have the urge to fill the other gaps in my collection now.

Ah! They arrived in one piece then! Good to know. :)

TBH, when I said above 'sitting collecting dust' I meant it! Glad they've gone to a good home.
Lovin' every dog on the Lower East side
Tazbert

Postby seventieslord » 15th Apr 10, 17:13

After "A Break In the Weather" came out I sold my Ginger singles but I got a real pretty penny for them. I wouldn't say I regret it, because I hate redundancy, but I do miss them; they were nice items. I took nice detailed scans of them before shipping them off.
seventieslord

Previous

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat