¡Chutzpah! Jnr. Review in Kerrang!

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

¡Chutzpah! Jnr. Review in Kerrang!

Postby Ean » 17th Mar 10, 18:27

Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Re: ¡Chutzpah! Jnr. Review in Kerrang!

Postby vanrad » 17th Mar 10, 19:42

Great review from Kerrang! They seem to be rightfully on the bands side at the moment - shame they're on a hiatus but hopefully once Mike Monroe has some down time maybe we will see the lads with a few gigs
vanrad

Postby Smithy » 17th Mar 10, 23:16

Kerrang are right....it is brilliant, but why only four K's??? Its a definite fiver. :eh:
Smithy

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 18th Mar 10, 02:10

nice to see they put "all that zen" as the recommended track - despite ginger's apparently dismissing of it in the liner notes, i still think it's just about the finest track they've recorded since... well, in fucking ages anyway!
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
spoon_of_grimbo

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 18th Mar 10, 10:56

I agree it's definitely a standout, great lyrics and a real uplifting song but I don't think Ginger dismisses it does he? More that he preferred it when it was in its original solo album form right?
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Postby markE » 18th Mar 10, 11:30

they don't seem to have spotted that people who died is a cover , do they? i heard the original the other day on the end of Dawn of the Dead and i have to say the Wildhearts version kicks its arse!
good to see a review of jr which in all honesty i think i listen to more often than its big brother. some great tracks on there.
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby Ean » 18th Mar 10, 11:52

markE wrote:they don't seem to have spotted that people who died is a cover , do they?

To be fair, it's not credited as such on the sleeve, it says 'All songs by the Wildhearts'. If, like most of us, Steve Beebee had never heard (of) it before, I can't think that he'd have any reason to think: 'that's a bit leftfield for the Wildhearts, I wonder if it's a cover?'
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby WorldClassFad » 18th Mar 10, 12:48

I can't think that he'd have any reason to think: 'that's a bit leftfield for the Wildhearts, I wonder if it's a cover?'

That does rather beg the question: is anything too leftfield for The Wildhearts? Personally, I'd draw the line at the lads going in a Belgian jazz direction.
WorldClassFad

Postby DAZ » 19th Mar 10, 12:41

As it is being reviewed in Kerrang and the review says previously only available at gigs, does this mean that it is being released properly now?
DAZ

Postby Ean » 19th Mar 10, 13:37

Nope, they just neglected to mention that it's only available from the webstore.
Ean Ü

Ean

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 19th Mar 10, 13:53

Do you think the writer would have put "for fans of Hanoi Rocks" if Ginger wasn't currently in Mike Monroe's latest band? As I don't think there's much likeness between Wildhearts and Hanoi Rocks' music.
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Postby Ean » 19th Mar 10, 20:23

Hard to say. I think there's always been a bit of an imagined connection though?

Who would you have substituted instead?
Ean Ü

Ean

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 20th Mar 10, 00:02

Erm...it's difficult to say really, I guess what they mean is people who like Hanoi Rocks should find something to like in The Wildhearts rather than the bands sound the same/similar, as I read it.

Perhaps I'm just not familiar enough with Hanoi Rocks music but they are linked in my mind to 80s hair metal. (?)
Jason_scorching_past

Postby hoke » 16th May 10, 14:57

Ean wrote:
markE wrote:they don't seem to have spotted that people who died is a cover , do they?

To be fair, it's not credited as such on the sleeve, it says 'All songs by the Wildhearts'. If, like most of us, Steve Beebee had never heard (of) it before, I can't think that he'd have any reason to think: 'that's a bit leftfield for the Wildhearts, I wonder if it's a cover?'

If Kerrang knew their shit they would have mentioned it's a JIm Carroll ( RIP) cover AND they wouldn've given it 5 ks just for "Vernix" alone.

Just my 2 cents. One can't think of Jim Carroll and not think of New Work---they go hand in hand and with the boy's obvious love of that city showing through in CHUTZPAH it's not surprising they covered a New Yorker's signature song and with Scott singing, no less...
hoke

Postby markE » 17th May 10, 10:22

Jason_scorching_past wrote:Erm...it's difficult to say really, I guess what they mean is people who like Hanoi Rocks should find something to like in The Wildhearts rather than the bands sound the same/similar, as I read it.

Perhaps I'm just not familiar enough with Hanoi Rocks music but they are linked in my mind to 80s hair metal. (?)

on the hmv website it always recommends All About Eve for Wildhearts fans which i never understood.
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat