Schecter/ C tuning

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Schecter/ C tuning

Postby Assmask » 1st Mar 10, 16:03

K, does anyone know what sort of Schecter guitars they used on Chutzpah?

Also, was it Drop C tuning (like Drop D), or full on, down two steps on every string?

Also, are there any other guitars that are any good for this style of tuning.

Thinking about giving it a blast myself.
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

https://www.facebook.com/biggrizzlyband
Assmask

Re: Schecter/ C tuning

Postby Ean » 1st Mar 10, 20:45

It's proper C tuning.

Anything with a longish scale is good as the extra length counteracts some of the extra flappiness of the strings. You'll need to set it up for C tuning though, else the intonation will be shocking, so switching between that and regular tuning won't really be an option.

I can't find exact matches for the studio guitars - they probably aren't current models, but a large chunk of Schecter's product line bears some resemblance. The guitars they use live are near as dammit Hellraiser Solo 6s which come in the glossy red and black that we saw. There's a minor headstock emblem difference, but everything else matches.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 1st Mar 10, 21:22

Assmask wrote:was it Drop C tuning (like Drop D), or full on, down two steps on every string?

Also, are there any other guitars that are any good for this style of tuning.
I have heard that the Gibson RD is very suitable for this tuning - probably just the earlier ones though. The reason being that they have a long scale neck. Later RDs went back the the standard Gibson shorter scale neck. I have an early long scale neck RD Standard but have never tried downtuning it so can't tell you how well it works.
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Postby Assmask » 2nd Mar 10, 01:16

Thanking yooz. I'll look into both those options.
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

Assmask

Postby disgorged » 3rd Mar 10, 15:22

To be honest mate, you can largely use any guitar you want. You may just choose to buy a higher gauge string set to keep the string tension higher.
disgorged

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 3rd Mar 10, 21:13

disgorged wrote:You may just choose to buy a higher gauge string set to keep the string tension higher.
That sounds good advice as I've heard people say that if you tune down to C the strings are so slack and flopping around that it's difficult to play. I would imagine sustain would be badly effected as well. I've got a digital effects unit that will actually change the pitch without you having to tune the guitar down at all so it still remains just as playable as when tuned to E (because it still is) and you don't lose any sustain either.

Guitars are designed to be tuned to E in the first place - so they just work better like that. :brow: Not that I'm saying people shouldn't experiment. :mrgreen:

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Postby disgorged » 5th Mar 10, 13:07

Pitch Shifters are all well and good in theory, but i always find it doesn't sound quite right, the tone's just a bit odd to my ears. Not really a fan of effects (distortion and a touch of reverb aside) anyway, just want my guitar loud and nasty.

I use a cheap SG tuned down to B, and I have no problems with sustain and sound quality. But then again, I play grindcore, so it's meant to sound like a bloody mess! hahaha...
disgorged

Postby Keith Richard » 5th Mar 10, 13:12

What the feck is "grindcore"? :coat:
cause the chances are good that it wont let you down, like maybe drinking with Keith, or seeing Dolly Parton's tits...
Keith Richard

Postby Assmask » 5th Mar 10, 13:14

8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

Assmask

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 6th Mar 10, 13:52

disgorged wrote:Pitch Shifters are all well and good in theory, but i always find it doesn't sound quite right, the tone's just a bit odd to my ears.
It's not really going to be noticable through a mass of distortion. ;) Where I find pitch shifters useful is moving the pitch on original recordings a fret or two when I'm playing along to learn or practice them so I don't have to keep retuning my guitar.
Not really a fan of effects (distortion and a touch of reverb aside) anyway, just want my guitar loud and nasty.
I'm with you there - just give me a good quality (Gibson) guitar and quality valve amp cranked up and I can do with any effects apart from some reverb (which is in the amp anyway) so no pedals. AC/DC got it spot on with their earlier raw sound as far as I'm concerned, and now Airbourne are carrying on that torch... :twisted:

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Postby melx » 14th Mar 10, 08:22

have you guys seen the new Morpheus Drop-tune?

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products ... tune_pedal

I've not had the chance to try one yet but I'm hearing good things.
melx

Postby nadgers » 6th Apr 10, 23:25

Lower 6 strings from a set for a 7 string guitar - works like a charm with no floppiness and sounds amazing.
nadgers

Postby Assmask » 7th Apr 10, 12:42

Played a Schecter in Drop C at the recording studio we're visiting later this month.

The strings were dead floppy, nice sound but for my style of rapid strumming mixed with palm mute it wasn't really doable. I'd have to slow down.

The string suggestion above is a good one though. However Ii think I may stick to my half a step up tuning for now....
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

Assmask

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat