PHUQ/FFL (DEMOS)

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Re: PHUQ/FFL (DEMOS)

Postby Ean » 20th Jan 10, 00:22

Benny Hiroshima wrote:Thanks Ean - much appreciated dude!!

:eh:
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby maz » 20th Jan 10, 13:20

Thanks for the demo!! Fantastic stuff.
I'd like to ask or convey my thoughts on this.

The demos from the pot, unless i'm being completely gormless (or stating the obvious) which I apologise in advance for but aren't these basically unmixed versions of the final songs? They don't to me appear to sound like demos (i.e song formerly known as from endless thread which is definitely a demo.) The pot don't appear to be different recordings as such, apart from perhaps if life is like a lovebank. If you listen to the drums, guitars, bass, basically it's all there, but without backing vocals, extra guitar parts and various layers etc...all unmixed and unmastered. Some of the parts you can actually hear much more clearly compared with the final product.

1. If life is like a lovebank
2. Baby strage/Nita nitro (unmixed - no b/vocals, no acoustic guitar during chorus of nita nitro, guitars are thin)
3.Do the channel bob (obviously missing some vocals, special fx ect...)
4. Give the girl a gun (lack of lead guitar in the end)
5. getting it (guitars are very quiet, lack of backing vocals, no keyboards)
6.Schitzophonic
7. Geordie in wonderland
8 . Inglorious (guitar parts missing - special fx)

Basically as far as I can work out most of the drum-fills seem the same, obviously in the mixing stage as long as the different parts of the kit have been recorded well then you can just mix the kit to how you like it, add fx, boost up the snare, boost up various parts of the kit during fills etc...)
The vocals would have all been treated or in some cases re-recorded - especially for example the bridge parts in Schitzophonic.
The guitar parts are low in various places, in the final product some of it is obviously mixed louder, but it appears that ginger probably added one or 2 more layers and lead guitar parts....
Also no keyboards.

I can't see the band re-recording everything to sound exactly the same - it would be boring for them and they would surely end up with various parts being totally different.

I apologise again if I seem to be either stating something you all know, or i'm completely wrong. Is there someone on here that can confirm?
maz

Postby rico ravenshaw » 31st Jan 10, 21:04

Steveo123 wrote:Hi all
I have a link which i found with demos from '92 http://rapidshare.com/files/34475694/WILDHEARTS_01_demos_90-92.rar

wow. that's my link. where did you find that? guitar's 101?

cool that you reposted it :bounce:
rico ravenshaw

Postby maz » 3rd Mar 10, 23:23

maz wrote:Thanks for the demo!! Fantastic stuff.
I'd like to ask or convey my thoughts on this.

The demos from the pot, unless i'm being completely gormless (or stating the obvious) which I apologise in advance for but aren't these basically unmixed versions of the final songs? They don't to me appear to sound like demos (i.e song formerly known as from endless thread which is definitely a demo.) The pot don't appear to be different recordings as such, apart from perhaps if life is like a lovebank. If you listen to the drums, guitars, bass, basically it's all there, but without backing vocals, extra guitar parts and various layers etc...all unmixed and unmastered. Some of the parts you can actually hear much more clearly compared with the final product.

1. If life is like a lovebank
2. Baby strage/Nita nitro (unmixed - no b/vocals, no acoustic guitar during chorus of nita nitro, guitars are thin)
3.Do the channel bob (obviously missing some vocals, special fx ect...)
4. Give the girl a gun (lack of lead guitar in the end)
5. getting it (guitars are very quiet, lack of backing vocals, no keyboards)
6.Schitzophonic
7. Geordie in wonderland
8 . Inglorious (guitar parts missing - special fx)

Basically as far as I can work out most of the drum-fills seem the same, obviously in the mixing stage as long as the different parts of the kit have been recorded well then you can just mix the kit to how you like it, add fx, boost up the snare, boost up various parts of the kit during fills etc...)
The vocals would have all been treated or in some cases re-recorded - especially for example the bridge parts in Schitzophonic.
The guitar parts are low in various places, in the final product some of it is obviously mixed louder, but it appears that ginger probably added one or 2 more layers and lead guitar parts....
Also no keyboards.

I can't see the band re-recording everything to sound exactly the same - it would be boring for them and they would surely end up with various parts being totally different.

I apologise again if I seem to be either stating something you all know, or i'm completely wrong. Is there someone on here that can confirm?

Does anyone have any information regarding this? Or have I bored everyone? :eeek:
maz

Postby nadgers » 6th Apr 10, 23:37

After having a really proper listen, I think it's more like sorta "work in progress" versions. As you say, a lot of what's there has actually ended up on the finished album, with a few odd sections that Ginger must have decided needed more work. Just a guess, but it might be that Ginger produced these in the studio before the hired producer gets there to do the finishing off and a bit more of the more complicated mixing work, then the whole lot is sent to a mastering engineer who adds a bit of power to it. Also, the drums do sound very similar all the way through, but as we know Rich is a frighteningly accurate drummer so it may be that some of it could have been rerecorded and it'd be hard to tell. There are a couple of fills here and there that sound close but definitely not exactly the same as the finished versions.
nadgers

Postby VibratoPotato » 21st Apr 13, 16:21

I've been clearing some old shit from my parent's attic and found a load a pile of old CDR's. One of which had Wildhearts Rare scrawled on it, so thought I'd give a listen for old time's sake. I imagine it's the same versions of the tracks mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but if anyone's interested in hearing any/or all of them, let me know and I can upload somewhere.

1. U Wanna
2. If Life is Like a Lovebank
3. Geordie in Wonderland
4. Fire Up
5. Hate the World Day
6. Baby Strange / Nita Nitro
7. Do the Channel Bop
8. Give the Girl a Gun
9. Schizophonic
10. Inglorious
11. I Wanna Go Where the People Go
12. Getting It
13. Getting It
14. In Lilly’s Garden
15. Saddened (instrumental)
16. Saddened
VibratoPotato

Postby Andy » 22nd Apr 13, 08:03

VibratoPotato wrote:I've been clearing some old shit from my parent's attic and found a load a pile of old CDR's. One of which had Wildhearts Rare scrawled on it, so thought I'd give a listen for old time's sake. I imagine it's the same versions of the tracks mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but if anyone's interested in hearing any/or all of them, let me know and I can upload somewhere.

1. U Wanna
2. If Life is Like a Lovebank
3. Geordie in Wonderland
4. Fire Up
5. Hate the World Day
6. Baby Strange / Nita Nitro
7. Do the Channel Bop
8. Give the Girl a Gun
9. Schizophonic
10. Inglorious
11. I Wanna Go Where the People Go
12. Getting It