Wildhearts in Kerrang! (W/E 16-01-10)

Postby Piedude » 12th Jan 10, 22:30

"The Wildhearts go mental in London"
http://www2.kerrang.com/newissue/

Im sure someone will scan it...
Piedude

Re: Wildhearts in Kerrang tomorrow

Postby silversparky5 » 14th Jan 10, 19:28

Haven't got a scan - only flicked through it in Smiths - but it's a review of the London gig. 4K and very positive! :)
silversparky5

Postby Steveo123 » 14th Jan 10, 19:34

I'll try and get a scan when I pick it up tomorrow
Steveo123

Postby Ean » 14th Jan 10, 19:45

Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Steveo123 » 14th Jan 10, 19:56

What a good review! Let's hope we will be seeing more like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steveo123

Re: Wildhearts in Kerrang! (W/E 16-01-10)

Postby Benny Hiroshima » 16th Jan 10, 15:21

Good review, but lazily written.

"Older audience? "

And why does every Wildhearts review come with the crap pun GINGER: Wild at Heart.

I shouldn't be surprised though, Kerrang! took three weeks to mention the Rev's death. And then that was on page six. Should have made it the front cover story on week one.
Benny Hiroshima

Postby Ean » 16th Jan 10, 22:00

Benny Hiroshima wrote:I shouldn't be surprised though, Kerrang! took three weeks to mention the Rev's death. And then that was on page six. Should have made it the front cover story on week one.

That's a little harsh. You can't really blame Kerrang! for Christmas print deadlines - both the previous issues would have gone to print long before he died.

See this note.

Oh, and photo captions are always shit.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Benny Hiroshima » 17th Jan 10, 01:18

I don't think it was harsh. The best drummer in the world dies and they finally get around to publishing the story three weeks later. That's shoddy news values. Should have been a front cover story. Instead it was on page six or something.

And they should have changed their deadline / print run given the exceptional circumstances. Did it when Jon Lee and Kurt Cobain died.

But I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies at least they gave the Wildhearts a good review.

And captions are crap. Except for when K! used to do stuff like Ginger Wildheart, yesterday". That always cracked me up. Don't know why!
Benny Hiroshima

Postby Ean » 17th Jan 10, 03:14

Benny Hiroshima wrote:I don't think it was harsh. The best drummer in the world dies and they finally get around to publishing the story three weeks later. That's shoddy news values. Should have been a front cover story. Instead it was on page six or something.

And they should have changed their deadline / print run given the exceptional circumstances. Did it when Jon Lee and Kurt Cobain died.

Again, blaming the wrong people. The K! writers would have wanted to do a tribute as soon as possible (I'm willing to bet that that piece was written within hours of it happening), but since all the magazine print works are closed over Christmas and New Year, there wouldn't have been anyone to print it anyway.

Any other time of the year and it'd have been in the following week, but nobody went back to work until 5th January, the issues came out the previous Wednesday and 2 days after work restarted - Magazine printing just isn't that fast. And you can't just scrap a print run; margins are tight enough these days that it could conceivably put them out of business.

He hasn't been dead three weeks yet anyway, and the 'best drummer' tag is very much your opinion, so a cover is debatable. Of the six pages, two were adverts and two were the contents and letters (which contained a tribute letter) which never get moved no matter how important other news may be deemed.
Ean Ü

Ean

Postby Sarc » 17th Jan 10, 16:27

Mr Hiroshima do your chips taste slightly of urine as I do believe your potato based snack has been pissed on by the one, the only..Mr El Beanie esq. :P
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby Benny Hiroshima » 17th Jan 10, 18:33

MMMM wee-wee potatoes. Yummy.

I understand they have print runs and you're right it's not the fault of the journos there. I'm sure the hacks would have wanted to do a tribute piece as soon as possible.

But the powers that be at K! should have pulled their finger out a lot sooner, in my opinion. I know that magazine printing isn't that fast as newspapers. But come on, three issues later? And then when it is published, a left handed page? (they are always the worst ones as people tend to read the right handers first).

Whether you like AV7X or not, could you imagine Jon Bonham's or Kurt Cobain's deaths (and more importantly celebration of their awesomeness) being published late and not as the front cover lead story?

In the days before K! had music channels and radio stations, they were able to get stories out a lot faster - despite being a weekly magazine.

Sure it's my opinion that he was the greatest drummer in the world. But if I want to get factual, I can safely say he was the drummer in a band which sold millions of records - who have influenced loads of bands - and is widely regarded by many as a fantastic tub-thumper.

If it was the NME or some other magazine, I wouldn't usually give a toss. But I used to love Kerrang! I owe them loads - they introduced me to the Wildhearts, 3CR and loads of other good bands. Just disappointed with their judgement calls on this one - amongst a few other things.

Anyway, little bits of humble pie eaten, opinion not changed and rant over.

And in their defence, they will never be as bad as my beloved Newcastle United.....
Benny Hiroshima

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 17th Jan 10, 21:08

Benny Hiroshima wrote:And then when it is published, a left handed page? (they are always the worst ones as people tend to read the right handers first).
Huh? I certainly don't. I've never heard of anybody doing that. :eh:
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Postby Benny Hiroshima » 18th Jan 10, 00:55

They do it newspapers and often magazines. Best stories are on the right hand side (or adverts sometimes) as its the first thing people see when they turn the page.
Benny Hiroshima

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 18th Jan 10, 23:46

You'll be telling me there are people who never read the left hand pages next! ;)
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Postby lob » 19th Jan 10, 11:29

Newspapers charge more for advertising on righthand pages too, it has been proven by years of advertising of fun things like car insurance, collectable plates and stairlifts that a righthander pulls a better response, ahem (snigger)
Now available in new Grandad format
lob

Next

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat