newbie questions ????

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

newbie questions ????

Postby wierdheart » 11th Jan 10, 19:37

hey all-

yea yea...i know, i am a fukking idiot to just be discovering the best rock band in the world but better late than never huh?

so anyway....2 years ago im in NYC hangin out and me buddy says: "the wildhearts are playing downtown, the 15 anniversary of their first LP ... do you wanna go?"
i respond... "i've always heard about those guys but never checked them out, do you think i'd dig it?"
to which he said: "of coarse you will"

so i went.....and my life was changed for the better! did a few shots and almost shite my trousers.....jesus fukkin christ...now i know what all the fuss was about. they blew me away instantly and i've been on a WH tear ever since.

now on to a few questions, excuse me if i ask really stoopit shite....

1. are there other versions on the "landmines and pantomines" songs? (it doesn't seem to have the same sound quality that is their norm...maybe it's just me)

2. is there a pre-distorted version of "endless/nameless"? ( i dig the distortion but just curious why they did it that way...endless was my first WH recording but it threw me after seeing the earth vs. gig)

3. when i listen to PHUQ in it's complete form it sounds like a fukking masterpiece, was it as huge a deal when it came out? ... i mean did everyone immediately realize the brilliance of it. ..did it chart like it should have?

well...that's a good start for now.....i'll have more questions but i feel silly enuff.

thanks-
elwd
Last edited by wierdheart on 11th Jan 10, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
wierdheart

Re: newbie questions ????

Postby inglorious01 » 11th Jan 10, 20:00

To answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1) No they were unreleased demo's which the band never wanted released in the first place.

2) Everyone asks this. There is one version of Endless Nameless and it's the distorted one.

3) It was the most successfull commercially. It hit number 6 in the album charts and I wanna Go was the first top 20 hit, charting at 16.
The record company screwed them over after Just in Lust only hit 28 in the charts. They didn't want the band promoting PHUQ any further.

It got rave reviews in most quaters at the time when it came out.
inglorious01

Postby Ean » 11th Jan 10, 23:55

wierdheart wrote:2. is there a pre-distorted version of "endless/nameless"? ( i dig the distortion but just curious why they did it that way...endless was my first WH recording but it threw me after seeing the earth vs. gig)

As yer man just said, that's the way it went down on the tape.

Why they did it that way? Drugs mainly. Possibly more pertinently, they were all on different drugs. :?
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Robdj » 12th Jan 10, 15:12

re. Endless Nameless
I always think of it as their drug album but also think they were enjoying doing something completely un-commercial that would confuse fans, critics and record company alike.
Ginger has been known to enjoy being provokotive.

And after the commercial success of Phuq and the singles from Fishing For Luckies (Sick of Drugs and Red Light Green Light both charted pretty well) I think they enjoyed throwing everyone such a curve ball.
Robdj

Postby wierdheart » 13th Jan 10, 18:53

thanks...

ahhh drugs....the eternal answer to many wildhearts questions it seems.

these guys are really freaking me out. there is soooo much to take in and i'm getting such a late start but god damn it.. :bounce: ...it's fukking great to have such an incredible source of music these days.

thanks folks...i'm going to lurk around here and try to catch up on what i've missed.

elwd
wierdheart

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat