Questions for those in a band..

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Questions for those in a band..

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 4th Jan 10, 14:53

I might have asked something like this before, but here I am asking it again if that is the case or conversely if that is not the case then here are some brand new questions for those of you in a band -

Does your band sound like the Wildhearts?
Have the Wildhearts/Ginger been a big influence on your songwriting?
Which of your songs sounds most like the Wildhearts?
Are the other members of your band into the WIldhearts?
Is it difficult not to "rip -off" Ginger/WH songs?
Have you ever included a nod (lyrical or musically) to the Wildhearts?

I am quite interested in this as having no musical talent whatsoever, I can only imagine that if I did have said talent and were in a band that I would basically want to sound like the Wildhearts and would be ripping Ginger off left, right and centre.
Jason_scorching_past

Postby Benny Hiroshima » 4th Jan 10, 19:13

* Not in obvious way. Ginger has been a big influence on my vocal style and subject matter lyric wise. Though we mix up our influences in one big melting pot.

* Yup. Chutzpah is the band's fave album and often listening to it forms a pre-gig ritual. Nothing like The Jackson Whites to psyche you up for a gig. We're a fan of the Wildies mix of heavyness and pop-sass, as well as the way they throw curveballs in their tunes.

* Probably our song Wasted. It's a sort of mash-up between You Love Us by the Manics and possibly Red Light Green Light, with its simplicity in the chorus department. Few twists and turns as well as anthemic.

* Yup, with the exception of our drummer. He's a metal head.

* Nah, not really. The Wildhearts are a big influence but not the only one. Also fans of Avenged Sevenfold, Manics, Backyard Babies, photo-journalism, real life and its joys and pains, Eddie Izzard and um... chemicals.

* Not yet, though we have done lyrical nods to The Beach Boys, Manics and Feeder in Wasted.

Benny Hiroshima

Re: Questions for those in a band..

Postby SteveP » 4th Jan 10, 20:53

Jason_scorching_past wrote:II am quite interested in this as having no musical talent whatsoever, I can only imagine that if I did have said talent and were in a band that I would basically want to sound like the Wildhearts and would be ripping Ginger off left, right and centre.

Arghhhh, thank fuck for that, there's another person alive that I'm exactly like.

I used to play in the brass band at Junior school (age 7-11 for those that do school in years these days!!- you work it out, I can't!) but I've forgotten how to read music, all I remember is
Every
Good
Boy
Deserves
Football

&

FACE

The rest is now a mystery
23 Pictures In A Tent....

'The bus is gannin fuckin neewhere'
SteveP

Postby FF5M » 5th Jan 10, 17:58

Interesting questions!

Does your band sound like the Wildhearts? No!

Have the Wildhearts/Ginger been a big influence on your songwriting? Surprisingly not at all given how much I listen to them.

Which of your songs sounds most like the Wildhearts? None of them are even remotely like Wildhearts

Are the other members of your band into the WIldhearts? Yes 3 of the 5 are fans

Is it difficult not to "rip -off" Ginger/WH songs? No - probably because my style of playing is very different and the vocal melodies are mainly by the singer who isn't into them

Have you ever included a nod (lyrical or musically) to the Wildhearts? No but I should do!
FF5M

Postby Chris Norway » 5th Jan 10, 18:44

Sometimes I guess you can hear I love Wildhearts kinda music. And CJ once told me I´ve got a vocal a little bit similar to Ginger.

Every songwriter listen to what the best bands do in their songwriting from time to time. I´m sure Ginger still do as well.

There´s a demo EP from 2005 that people say sounds like kinda wildhearts light/CJ solo with our own twist. It´s just straight catchy pop-punk cartoon rock and roll with tunes like "Pac Man needs another drink", "Loonytown", "Tits and Ass" and "Do you remember 47".

At first it was just me. But trough the years the other people have learned to love the band. Chutzpah won them all over forever :)

To really rip off someone you have to tell yourself "lets rip off that band/song". Never done that. But I´ve told the others "lets do that part in a wildhearts kinda style". And the band kicks in just like I wanted. :)

We play a song called "you´re never alone when you´re a skitzophone". Come to think of it, that might be a rip-off. Or is it a nod? :lol:
Chris Norway

Postby benwalton » 6th Jan 10, 00:14

My 'band' is an acoustic duo, so not really. I guess there's big pop hooks and a bit of "genre-bending" going on every now and again, but that's about it.

A bit. Everything has to have a massive chorus.

None of them really. Again, it's acoustic stuff which sometimes ventures into pop music and sometimes goes a little bit jazzy.

Yes, but no way enar as much as me.

Not really. We're fairly far apart as things go. We have covered Red Light Green Light and Inside Out before now though.

No. Maybe we should. I wrote a song about Billy Corgan once. He'd left halfway through a gig and had a bit of a tizzy, so it wasn't a happy tune!
and just last week as i was clearing shit from off my shelf...
benwalton

Postby Assmask » 6th Jan 10, 12:32

Does your band sound like the Wildhearts? At times, generally no, more like Ramones. I can hear a fair bit of WH in it though, mainly in the vocal style.
Have the Wildhearts/Ginger been a big influence on your songwriting? Yes, the biggest, they're the very reason I play rock guitar. Also the likes of Green Day and Nirvana, but WH the biggest.
Which of your songs sounds most like the Wildhearts? Which Wildhearts song sounds most like The Wildhearts? From Earth Vs to EN to WMBD to S/T to Chutzpah there's a fair bit of hole to fit that pigeon in. Maybe Giving Should Be Easy, which is on our Myspace page.
Are the other members of your band into the WIldhearts? Not really. Drummer thinks they're too heavy, Lead Guitarist respects them but isn't overly bothered, bassist is an enigma.
Is it difficult not to "rip -off" Ginger/WH songs? No. Ginger/WH songs are generally very complex beasts, even the simple ones, be it via riffage, structure or lyrics. I think you would need to be purposefully doing it, or at least knowingly doing it.
Have you ever included a nod (lyrical or musically) to the Wildhearts? Aye, one of my older songs had a line that went "I'll be going where the people go to tread on all their feet", but that was about 12 years ago. My latest song, Attitude (only just started going through it with the band so it's not available for listens at the moment) contains a driving riff that is akin to a riff from Do The Channel Bop - but when it's recorded I'll post it up and see if anyone can/wants to bother to try to guess which riff it is.
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

https://www.facebook.com/biggrizzlyband
Assmask

Postby nuno75 » 7th Jan 10, 12:05

Not my current band, no, but previous bands have... at least more so than this one.

Absolutely, yes.

I would guess it's a tossup between my songs "I Like It" and "LoveLeech". "I Like It" has a lot in common with "The Miles Away Girl" in the beginning... same sort of mood, with it starting off with a single guitar at the beginning and then a slow lumbering rhythm that then kind of bashes into a faster and peppier one and finally dropping off to quiet vocals accompanied by the bass, as opposed to one guitar as in their case. And "LoveLeech" has something kind of similar... but mainly that's the one where I tried to do a long Wildhearts-style bridge with some interesting twists. Another, called "Getting On It" has a lot of twists in the bridge too, but none of them inspired by a specific song, but rather the band's style in general. I never finished proper recordings of two of those, but here's an idea.

I Like It

LoveLeech (Unfinished Instrumental Mix)

Getting On It (Unfinished Instrumental Mix)

Not currently, no. I've tried to get a Wildhearts song or two into our set list, but neither of the guys seem interested. My drummer was into Caffeine Bomb for a while, but it turns out he thought it was one of my own songs, and once I told him it was a cover he didn't care about it so much. In previous bands, however, we've had as many as five Wildhearts covers in our set list...

Sometimes, yeah... but not usually. I have one song, called "Everybody Goes (Where Everybody Goes)" which, as I was writing it, really wanted to sound like "So Into You" during the verses. I had to work kind of hard for to avoid it in that case.

I once began writing a song called "A Boy Named Ginger". I never get too far with it, but I know it involved the line, "... and did you ever get to go where the people go?"
nuno75

Postby nuno75 » 7th Jan 10, 12:13

Oh... and I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with the bridge of this one, so I played a little "Vanilla Radio" there instead.

Believe It Or Not
nuno75

Questions for those in a band

Postby crispian » 7th Jan 10, 17:06

Have you ever included a nod to Ginger/The Wildhearts?

--Yes.I once wrote a song called,"Look,Ginger,is there any chance that you could leave some hooks and melodies for the rest of us,only it's getting hard to find a killer chorus you haven't already used.I mean,I appreciate you're unable to go a day without writing a song,but if you could just take a couple of weeks off then the rest of us could maybe catch up a little bit?".

Thing is,everytime the chorus came round,I found it really hard to fit all the words in-I was only going from A to G and back again and it never really scanned........
crispian

Postby Bish » 7th Jan 10, 18:57

Hi, not posted here before but thought it was an interesting question...

Pretty much, I find it hard to get away from that general sound as its what i'm most into, I try and put my own slant on it all though

Huge, the biggest by far - listening to them was kind of how I learnt to write

not really sure - the last one I wrote 'Here we go again' has a pretty similar vibe

One other member, any more and I expect we really would sound just like them

Occasionally I'll have a melody in my head, start writing and realise its a bit too close to one of theirs, but not really - its more the style thats similar

Not that I can think of

Have a listen and judge for yourselves :)
Bish

Postby antipode101 » 8th Jan 10, 06:14

Bish wrote:
Have a listen and judge for yourselves :)

Cool tunes man. I hear more 3 colours red/honeycrack...and maybe a little bit of alkaline trio.
>>NOT BITTER,JUST A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED<<
antipode101

Postby vickyp » 10th Jan 10, 15:22

I think this is one for the songwriters really, I'm in a band but the answer to all of the above would be no because I'm the only WH fan in the band and we're a very different kind of animal sound-wise (I'm also the only girl :cry: ). 'Tis still a lot of fun though. I would say that there's definately been an influence on my weapon of choice and the evil grin I get on my face during the louder songs when I get to go *KERRANG!!* :twisted:
Zorro won't build me a time machine
vickyp

Postby Ross » 11th Jan 10, 11:53

Maybe. I do solo stuff, though, so possibly more like Ginger...

Yep, definitely, although sometimes I'm conscious of that and try to avoid writing WH-esque songs.

Treading Water is quite Ginge-esque

N/A

Nope

The project's called Reinventing the Wheel...
Ross

Postby Krisrocker » 9th Feb 10, 23:55

Hi everyone, just joined at last. With a band I had back in the 90s we had a ritual of listening to Suckerpunch at very loud volume just before a gig to get us nicely warmed up, we also sometimes did a cover of Headfuck during our shows. To answer your question theres probably songwriting influences here and there in what I used to do and what I do now which can only be a good thing. You can have a listen to some new demos of mine if you like to see for yourselves at http://www.myspace.com/krisrocknroller
Cheers everyone will be back on soon. Kris.
Krisrocker

Next

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat