Any chance of chart rigging for PHUQ's anniversary?

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Postby Ean » 21st Dec 09, 15:40

floyd wrote:i have no understanding of how the charts and record sales work. So if say there were 10,000 downloads of say V-Day, without it being released as a single by the band, would that then make it chart? :?

Yep. RATM wasn't rereleased. Any download track is chart eligible provided certain conditions are met. Usually to do with dealer price and running time.

You can download the chart rules from here:

http://www.theofficialcharts.com/chart_rules.php

It's a PDF and the relevant bits are page 5:i and page 15.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Jules » 21st Dec 09, 16:01

I did find this statement in the chart website, in the Getting your single online guide:

"Sales of digital formats will only count towards the new combined chart after the release of a physical single. Singles released only as digital downloads will qualify for the Download Chart. A digital single will qualify for the combined chart once a physical equivalent is released."

Could it be because Killing in the Name had already previously been a physical single?
Jules

Postby inglorious01 » 21st Dec 09, 17:43

Jules wrote:I did find this statement in the chart website, in the Getting your single online guide:

"Sales of digital formats will only count towards the new combined chart after the release of a physical single. Singles released only as digital downloads will qualify for the Download Chart. A digital single will qualify for the combined chart once a physical equivalent is released."

Could it be because Killing in the Name had already previously been a physical single?

Could well be that. In which case, I wann Go would be the best choice to download.

I think it would be good to plan well ahead for this and get some support. The anniversary of the original release is around April/May time. We have to co-ordinate it so that we are all buying it within the same week but I don't see why we couldn't get a top 10 for the lads.
inglorious01

Postby Jules » 21st Dec 09, 18:47

I think that document I quoted is out of date. Just found this on the site in an archives section:

"New rules to transform Official Singles Chart

~ Golden oldies and album tracks to compete in Official Singles Chart
~ Downloads help double singles sales
~ EPs expected to make a comeback

December 30, 2006: Just days after X-Factor winner Leona Lewis’s A Moment in Time became the fastest-selling download in the UK yet, the Official UK Charts enter a new era on January 1 with new rules expected to further drive interest in the singles market.

Downloads have already helped double the size of the UK singles market in just three years from 32.3m units in 2004 to 65.1m in the first 51 weeks of 2006.

In a dramatic rule change, album tracks and ‘golden oldies’ as well as current hits will be eligible for the singles chart if they are available as downloads.

At the same time, a relaxation of rules on CD singles is expected to herald the return of the EP, with so-called maxi-singles now allowed to contain up to four tracks lasting up to 25 minutes (compared with three tracks and 20 minutes under current rules).

Golden oldies and album tracks to compete in Official Singles Chart

The most dramatic change to the charts taking place on January 1 is the lifting of transitional rules which have meant that downloads have only been included in the Official Singles Chart if a physical format of the song is also made available.

From January 1 there will no longer be any requirement for record labels to make singles available physically.

This means that any currently available download will technically be eligible for the Official Singles Chart.

Official UK Charts Company (OCC) director Steve Redmond said, "January 1 2006 marks a dramatic development in the history of the Official UK Charts. For the past 54 years a single was a track selected by a record company to be pressed on plastic and distributed to stores on a particular date. From now on a single can be any track currently available as a download - even an album track or a golden oldie - as well of course as the established physical formats of CD, DVD, seven and 12 inch vinyl".

"This new ruling changes the nature of a single and puts the consumer in the driving seat. Literally any track can be a hit - as long as it sells enough."

The first milestone in this process came in March 2006 when downloads were accepted in the Official Singles Chart one week ahead of physical release. The result was that in May Gnarls Barkley’s Crazy became the UK’s first-ever download-only Number One. The track has since gone on to become the UK’s biggest-selling download yet. "
Jules

Postby Ean » 21st Dec 09, 18:56

I thought I'd seen something like that.

We discussed something similar before, but at that point we were edging towards a track off theWH so that the band will make some money off it.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Jules » 21st Dec 09, 19:01

So you think the band wont make any money directly from sale of PHUQ tracks? That would be a shame.
Jules

Postby Ean » 21st Dec 09, 19:09

Not as much as stuff on Round Records or BSA, I'd imagine.

It's hard to really know how it ended financially between the band and EastWest.
Ean Ü

Ean

Postby inglorious01 » 22nd Dec 09, 09:31

It would be good if the band could make some money from any downloads off PHUQ, but we're planning this whole thing because it's the anniversary of PHUQ, and to see if we can actually get something in the top 10.
It's not really about making the band more money, just getting them some attention and a long overdue top 10.
inglorious01

Postby vanrad » 22nd Dec 09, 10:31

I'm stating the obvious here but I think the important thing is we pick a song that we the board wants and whatever that song is (i.e. perhaps not your first choice) we get behind it.

Here's a suggestion, how about somebody like Ean start a poll to find that song, and we agree to download it on a certain date. It doesn't actually matter when it is just as long as we know.

I don't know you personally Ean, but you seem like our elected leader!!

My vote would be for something current, although a video would be good - but hey we can tackle 'PHUQ' on a later date.
vanrad

Postby Radish » 22nd Dec 09, 11:21

Whenabouts would the anniversary be? Not wishing to be the voice of doom and gloom here, but after Rage's xmas success I can see a few of these kind of campaigns popping up, so timing could be crucial. Don't want to do it the same week somebody decides to try to get some shite in the charts 'cause it's the anniversary of Princess Di's death or something.
And there's also still heavy rumour that 2010 will finally see the digital release of the Beatles back catalogue - give up on making the charts with anything that week, it'll be 1 to 100 Beatles tunes.
So, timing timing timing. Although at least if we managed a few thousand sales we'd be happy in the knowledge we'd bunged some wonga the way of the Wildies regardless of chart position.
Christ I hate being a risk-averse manager sometimes. :?
Terrified, intoxiciated,
Starry eyed and bollock naked...

There's only two complaints I have about the way you are,
That's all you say and all you do...
Radish

Postby Sarc » 22nd Dec 09, 12:32

vanrad wrote:
I don't know you personally Ean, but you seem like our elected leader!!

I fear this is where the Napoleon syndrome will start to make itself known. :P
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby vanrad » 22nd Dec 09, 17:06

Sarc.... I do see you as 2nd in command.... sort of the comedy part of the double act!!
vanrad

Postby Sarc » 22nd Dec 09, 18:03

vanrad wrote:Sarc.... I do see you as 2nd in command.... sort of the comedy part of the double act!!

Cheers for that......I think. But no AndyB, Trudi, Vickyp, Kriscoverdale and Zo all come before me so I'm 7th in command. I'm the mod no-one likes to acknowledge or if they do it usually revolves round a slagging off.
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby baratron » 22nd Dec 09, 18:05

I think this is a great idea!

Note that a large number of RATM purchases were excluded from the total as "obvious" vote-rigging, so we'll have to be careful about it. No more than one purchase at each store from each computer. We have four computers in this house, each with a separate IP address, so that's 12 purchases (one each at amazon, iTunes and Play.com) :D. Except I think iTunes only works with Macs or PCs, and two of our computers run versions of Linux, so maybe it'll only be 10.

Now, do purchases have to be made from a UK IP address to count for the UK chart? How do they determine what IPs are in the UK, anyway? I'll have to ask my partner, he's a computer network guy.
baratron

Postby vickyp » 22nd Dec 09, 19:46

vanrad wrote:Sarc.... I do see you as 2nd in command.... sort of the comedy part of the double act!!

Ha ha ha! :lol: Sarc is the board jester.

Sarc wrote:I'm the mod no-one likes to acknowledge or if they do it usually revolves round a slagging off.

Shut it droopy gums! :wink:

Er, yeah, getting back on topic - fair point about the timing being important. Also it seems fairly clear this would have to be a track which was already released as a single. Makes sense to me to choose one that already has a bloody good video, so howabout 'I wanna go'?
Zorro won't build me a time machine
vickyp

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat