The Wildhearts @ Glastonbury

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

The Wildhearts @ Glastonbury

Postby Radish » 1st Oct 09, 09:10

I know they've never played there (although I'm sure I bumped into Ginger there in the mid-90s because I noticed he was wearing the same stars & stripes cons as me) but this - http://www.glastonbury2010.info/who-do- ... omment-295 - might be a long shot of getting them there somewhere. Go for it...
Terrified, intoxiciated,
Starry eyed and bollock naked...

There's only two complaints I have about the way you are,
That's all you say and all you do...
Radish

Postby shat noir » 1st Oct 09, 09:31

ahh you tease.. my favourite band & my favourite place 8)
I would love this to happen although I'm not gonna get my hopes up
Gee mister you got the best answering machine message I ever heard
shat noir

Postby geordierussell » 1st Oct 09, 10:20

That would be staggeringly good for them just to be on the bil. However I suspect Eureka Machines will play Glasto before the WHs
http://www.tinyurl.com/gnr2010
geordierussell

Postby vickyp » 1st Oct 09, 10:28

geordierussell wrote:However I suspect Eureka Machines will play Glasto before the WHs

...and Sowerby Bridge, and Bury, and m-f-ing Grimsby - and that's just this weekend! :D

I don't really see the WHs as a Glasto kind of band. It would be cool to see them get some big festival dates next summer though.
Zorro won't build me a time machine
vickyp

Postby Radish » 1st Oct 09, 11:20

vickyp wrote:
geordierussell wrote:However I suspect Eureka Machines will play Glasto before the WHs

I don't really see the WHs as a Glasto kind of band. It would be cool to see them get some big festival dates next summer though.

As much as I'd love it, I think I agree, they might be a bit out of place - the nearest type band I can think of that I've seen there would be Less Than Jake on the Other Stage (who were great, circle mosh around the lighting tower a highlight). I'm sure the Wildhearts would still be great there though or in the John Peel tent, or an acoustic set on the Acoustic Stage (where else :roll: ) would be fantastic and maybe 'fit' a bit more. Or maybe the Wildies/Ginger & TSC in Shangri-la or whatever it'll be next year, the backdrop of neon, flames, and general wierdness would suit the band well. A few years back I did once suggest to somebody involved in Lost Vagueness that SilverGinger 5 would be the perfect headliners there. Shame LV and SG5 both dropped off the radar...
Terrified, intoxiciated,

Radish

Postby Sarc » 1st Oct 09, 11:58

vickyp wrote:Grimsby .

We'll not have that sort of language round there 'ere parts m'dear.
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby ilayad » 1st Oct 09, 12:16

awwww that would be awesome :D

well there was eagles of death metal and nick cave last year :D

They'd be pretty awesome up at the dragstrip - i'm sure they'd be right at home.

so who else is going to be trying to get tickets on sunday?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilayadarkroom/

Gun for Hire, get in touch for details!
ilayad

Postby Radish » 1st Oct 09, 14:27

ilayad wrote:awwww that would be awesome :D

so who else is going to be trying to get tickets on sunday?

I wish. Family makes it diffiicult. :?
Terrified, intoxiciated,

Radish

Postby shat noir » 5th Oct 09, 12:46

Glastonbury sold out before I was able to get a deposit paid :(
shat noir

Postby Radish » 5th Oct 09, 15:00

shat noir wrote:Glastonbury sold out before I was able to get a deposit paid :(

There will be more tickets - a perecentage of transactions will fail, so it's worth checking see tickets [spits on floor and says "wankers"] regularly. And these are only deposits, not everybody will actually buy tickets. Don't give up, if I can't go (is it really worth having a family if you can't go to Glastonbury?) somebody else should...
Terrified, intoxiciated,

Radish

Postby shat noir » 5th Oct 09, 15:10

Aye, I know all is not lost yet..
tho I woulda liked to have it safely booked so I didn't havta worry about it.

I will be there 8)
shat noir

Postby Damian » 5th Oct 09, 16:02

The John Peel Tent is proving a refuge for rock at Glastonbury. Last year F***** Up played there, the year before I saw Biffy Clyro. Nice big tent and probably my favourite stage on the site. So no reason why they couldn't do it.

(Nine Inch Nails headlined the Other Stage in 2000 too)
Damian

Postby neil » 5th Oct 09, 16:56

It only took 13 minutes to get my ticket, which was handy considering I was between night shifts and needed to get to sleep. I'm absolutely amazed it sold out so quickly though, and glad I ended up trying to get them when they went on sale.

I don't see the Wildhearts doing it sadly, there's been little in the way of 'proper' rock bands there since the Roskilde tragedy, and Michael Eavis has been quoted in the past as saying he didn't want heavy bands there following that. Although he's been quoted as saying all sorts, so that doesn't guarantee anything. Bands like Fucked Up, EODM and the Gaslight Anthem that played last year are pretty popular in indie/NME circles, which I think is why they get to play.

My Ginger/Glastonbury fantasy would be for him to do a few sets...acoustic, solo electric and the Wildhearts on different stages over the weekend. Other bands have done multiple sets, so if the Wildhearts could get booked it should be possible.
neil

Postby Mr. Joe » 5th Oct 09, 19:50

God I'd love that, I live about a five minute walk away from Glastonbury, would be nice to see them play somewhere massive without having to travel across the country. Being young and car-less sucks when you want to go see one of few bands worth seeing live nowadays. =/
Mr. Joe

Bump

Postby robdy2k » 3rd Jan 10, 06:25

I'm bumping this topic... I've just posted this on that site;

'The Wildhearts! Come on, Chtuzpah! was a classic album from the best British Rock band of the past 20 years, they have had nothing but good press the last few years, have a definitive line up, will get any crowd in a field on their feet and smiling and Ginger (their leader and singer) has been spotted at Glasto himself as a punter - so am sure is a fan of the festival as all those who have been are too. Take a chance Eavis and get the best little rock punk pop band pretty much EVER from England to give your 40th the injection of Chutzpah it needs!'

I've been 11 times to Glasto, I believe it was in '95 when I went that my friend saw Ginger there - just after I got into the Wildhearts.

As far as there not being rock at Glasto is concerned - I've seen Cypress Hill, do a metal set there, Foo Fighers, Rocket From The Crypt, Lost Prophets were there one year I believe and - in 2002 - post Roskilde - first year of the Super Fence, Queens Of The Stone Age played there with Grohl.

It's not out of the question for Eavis to book some curveball token rock band and - personally speaking... as this is the 40th anniversary and marks 15 years of going to the festival and 15 and a half years of being into the Wildhearts I personally would love to see this happen - it would be a wet dream (in fact I have recently found myself dreaming of being at the site - probably due to reading all the rumours of Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones playing there).

Would some sort of Facebook group help do you think? How many off the boards would get behind it do you think if I put one together? The publicity for the band would be immense if they got on the Peel stage and it got shown on the BBC, perhaps better than a lower 40s chart entry of I Wanna Go for the PHUQ 40th. It could see the band take off if they got a few Chutzpah songs on there (not to mention a few Jnr classics - I'm voting for 'Under The Waves').

Oh - off topic - can we get 'Tallica on the line up for Glasto too?

PS - I have been out in the sun all day today to please don't flame me for dreaming...
It's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done.
robdy2k

Next

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat