Well, there's a new album. Is it too soon to rank it?

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Well, there's a new album. Is it too soon to rank it?

Postby nuno75 » 5th Sep 09, 23:51

For me the order of preference is, roughly:

1. Earth Vs. The Wildhearts
2. Fishing For Luckies
3. P.H.U.Q.
4. Chutzpah!
5. The Wildhearts
6. Endless Nameless
7. The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed/Coupled With
8. Don't Be Happy... Just Worry!
9. Stop Us If You've Heard This One Before, Vol. 1
nuno75

Postby melx » 6th Sep 09, 00:48

OK, i've been trying to do this for ages and it's just not working...I've changed it about 15 times now.....so a different approach for me.

1. Earth Vs. The Wildhearts, Fishing For Luckies, Landmines & Pantomimes
2. WiLDHEARTS, Chutzpah!, P.H.U.Q.
3. Don't Be Happy... Just Worry!, Coupled with, The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed
4. Endless Nameless

...I added landmines in because I listen to it alot, but if you only want offical studio albums in the list just ignore it. I didn't put 'stop us....' in either because I really like it and listen to it loads but as they didn't write the songs it doesn't seem right to stick it up high. EN is last because I've only listened to it all the way through twice in 12 years, once the day I bought it and twice a few weeks ago.

I just can't seperate the albums any more than that.
melx

Postby nuno75 » 6th Sep 09, 01:06

melx wrote:OK, i've been trying to do this for ages and it's just not working...I've changed it about 15 times now.....so a different approach for me.

1. Earth Vs. The Wildhearts, Fishing For Luckies, Landmines & Pantomimes
2. WiLDHEARTS, Chutzpah!, P.H.U.Q.
3. Don't Be Happy... Just Worry!, Coupled with, The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed
4. Endless Nameless

...I added landmines in because I listen to it alot, but if you only want offical studio albums in the list just ignore it. I didn't put 'stop us....' in either because I really like it and listen to it loads but as they didn't write the songs it doesn't seem right to stick it up high. EN is last because I've only listened to it all the way through twice in 12 years, once the day I bought it and twice a few weeks ago.

I just can't seperate the albums any more than that.

I count Landmines as P.H.U.Q. B-sides, myself... only for a single or two that just happen to have never gotten around to being released.
nuno75

Postby Assmask » 6th Sep 09, 01:51

melx wrote: EN is last because I've only listened to it all the way through twice in 12 years, once the day I bought it and twice a few weeks ago.

Shame on you. I can't imagine being a fan of any band and dismissing an album after just one listen. Your delayed follow-up listen notwithstanding, of course.

It's too early to rate Chutspah for me

But otherwise...

Earth Vs
Phuq
DBHJW
S/T
Fishing
EN
TWMBD

The others, B sides, covers, etc, erm. Fuckit.
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

https://www.facebook.com/biggrizzlyband
Assmask

Postby sparky » 6th Sep 09, 02:52

1. Earth Vs. The Wildhearts
2. Chutzpah!
3. P.H.U.Q.
4. The Wildhearts
5. Coupled With
6. Fishing For Luckies
7. Endless Nameless
8. The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed
9. Don't Be Happy... Just Worry!
10.Landmines & Pantomimes

The top four are subject to change at a moments notice :D

I hardly ever listen to EN all the way through but I do always listen to a few drifferent tracks every few weeks especially when I have been listening to S/T alot.
I included Landmines even though I can't remember the last time I listened it and left out Stop Us... because it's not orgional material.
Gonna be someone, I'm a smoking gun, I'm the lightning striking
sparky

Postby melx » 6th Sep 09, 14:57

Assmask wrote:
melx wrote: EN is last because I've only listened to it all the way through twice in 12 years, once the day I bought it and twice a few weeks ago.

Shame on you. I can't imagine being a fan of any band and dismissing an album after just one listen. Your delayed follow-up listen notwithstanding, of course.

I did say 'all the way through', I didn't dismiss it after one listen... I've tried many many times over the years, I usually turn it off when 'anthem' is on.....that's what 3 tracks in? lol.. sometimes I skip through.... I like 'urge' I listen to that sometimes...but all the way through? nah, not a chance... I'd rather put any other WH's album on.
melx

Postby nuno75 » 6th Sep 09, 16:24

For me, even with the lousy production, the following songs have become vital pieces of the Wildhearts experience for me:

Nurse Maximum
Anthem
Urge
Pissjoy
Thunderfuck
Heroin
The Song Formally Known As ?
Genius Penis
Fugazi (Do The Fake)
Kill Me To Death
Time To Let You Go
So Good To Be Back Home
Zomboid

Several others are just okay for me... and two or three are still totally unlistenable to me.
nuno75

Postby denis » 6th Sep 09, 17:44

yes, many of those endless nameless era b sides are stone cold classics and probably should've been included on the album. my favs are the song formally known as, fugazi, kill me to death & zomboid.
denis

Postby Ean » 6th Sep 09, 23:47

nuno75 wrote:I count Landmines as P.H.U.Q. B-sides, myself... only for a single or two that just happen to have never gotten around to being released.

The only problem with that is that those songs were recorded while the band were touring with AC/DC in June 1996 - Several weeks after the re-release of Fishing For Luckies and Sick Of Drugs came out.

1 June - 22 June 1996 The Wildhearts support AC/DC on their UK and European tour. During breaks in the European leg of the tour, they manage to record close to a complete album's worth of new material. The new songs include Abhoria, Ride The Wave, Tom Take The Money, Velvet Presley, State Of Nondependence and Stupid Things. A release is pencilled in for September.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby thegweywabbit » 7th Sep 09, 03:08

not too early at all. I've played the new album nearly to death so... here goes...

1. p.h.u.q. (perfect!)
2. ¡Chutzpah! (perfect pt. 2)
3. Earth Vs. The Wildhearts (classic)
4. The Wildhearts (RFTBG is my fav WH track. Slaughtered Authors is up there too...)
5. Fishing For Luckies (Inglorious - another all time classic)
6. The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed (criminally underrated) / Coupled With...
7. Endless Nameless (ditto) / Anthem - The Single Tracks
8. Landmines & Pantomimes
9. Stop Us If You've Heard This One Before, Vol. 1 (excellent for a covers album)
10. Don't Be Happy... Just Worry!
Rooting 4 THE WILDHEARTS!!!
jd
thegweywabbit

Postby EMMO » 7th Sep 09, 11:21

of course chutzpah will be near the top as its new.

I dont think you can rate it properly for 2 years at least.

I didnt much of the last Wildhearts album when it came out and 2.5 years after its release I still dont like it much.

Phuq is my fav followed by FFL - but see my sig for the rest - minus chutzpah.
PHUQ, FISHING FOR LUCKIES, CHUTZPAH!, EARTH VS, ...MUST BE DESTROYED, DONT BE HAPPY, ENDLESS NAMELESS, COUPLED WITH , THE WILDHEARTS
EMMO

Re: Well, there's a new album. Is it too soon to rank it?

Postby AbhoriaAssKickin » 12th Jan 13, 02:08

1. EARTH VS (Hands down the best, could have made many more albums with this sound, but The wildhearts are very creative and I'm proud of that)
2. PHUQ (Ah Yes PHUQ is as good as getting a good phuq)
3. Fishing for Luckies (Not a bad track on the disk, but some borrowed from PHUQ, so thus its ranked below)
4. The Wildhearts (Sometimes even better than Fishing for Luckies)
5. Endless Nameless (Awesome for a listen when you just want something fucking insane)
6. Landmines and Phantomimes (Underrated IMO)
7. Chutzpah! (Feel like you've all been rating it too highly, its alright but doesnt ever deserve to be better than EARTH VS, PHUQ, Fishing for Luckies, or Endless Nameless)
8. Coupled With (Eh this albums good sometimes)
9. Must Be Destroyed. (I like so into you and Nexus Icon. Rest are sadly generic)
10. Stop us if you've heard this one before vol 1. (Eh... good... sometimes)
11. JNR (Blah. Hate this one actually)
AbhoriaAssKickin

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat