CHUTZPAH! REViEWS

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Postby WiredOut » 26th Sep 09, 14:25

nuno75 wrote:
Andwah wrote:Aye Nuno, sorry, forgot you're Americana. But you know what i mean.

I know. It's all good.But I'd trade my Riff After Riff for your Coupled With any day of the week, my friend.

On Riff After Riff, they apparently didn't have a copy of "Return To Zero" on hand when they were laying out the CD, so they called someone who they'd given a demo-tape of it to and had them play it while holding their cell phone up to the speaker, and then just shot it right from the phone to the CD. Or something.

That sounds a bit bonkers but since we're talking about one of the most lovably illogical bands ever it's probably true. ;)
'C'mon, make me feel like me.'
WiredOut

Postby macc lad » 2nd Oct 09, 16:02

Well its took a while but finally took Chutzpah out of the cd player, replaced with White Zombie La sexorcisto, its still on in the car though oh and my phones ringtones.
cant go cold turkey yet :wink:
Ask lots of questions dont eat the bullshit
macc lad

Postby JohnD » 7th Oct 09, 22:15

andy_b wrote:Hey JohnD, welcome aboard!

There ain't any reason for you to feel alone, now you've joined up with the enlightened masses :)
And there's quite a few American fans on the board as well, so you've got some closer neighbours :)

Although I'm sure if you plan a trip over to Blighty, you'd be welcomed with open arms!

Have fun!

Andy

Thanks Andy, I appreciate it. I've been listenening to the live shows on the Paranoid Squirrel podcast, wishing I were there!
JohnD

Postby blackdeathcrew » 10th Oct 09, 14:18

macc lad wrote:Well its took a while but finally took Chutzpah out of the cd player, replaced with White Zombie La sexorcisto, its still on in the car though oh and my phones ringtones.

Does anyone else think that Plastic Jebus has White Zombie style undertones?
ImageImage
blackdeathcrew

Postby WiredOut » 11th Oct 09, 10:53

blackdeathcrew wrote:
macc lad wrote:Well its took a while but finally took Chutzpah out of the cd player, replaced with White Zombie La sexorcisto, its still on in the car though oh and my phones ringtones.

A few other people have mentioned it in posts as well as some online reviews.
WiredOut

Postby loz » 12th Oct 09, 07:00

blackdeathcrew wrote:

yup, i do :)

and does anyone else hear clawfinger's "nobody knows" in the riff from "chutzpah"? just me then...
loz

Postby Mattie » 21st Oct 09, 10:42

You know, after countless listens I've only just noticed that there's a vocal in the outtro to Chutzpah! of what I assume is 'Ooooooh, here I am' (in response to 'if they don't know you're alive' I guess)

Up until now I've just thought it was some synth / instrument sound.

When I say countless listens - I think I've actually listened to it pretty much EVERY DAY whilst sat bored at work.
ImageImage
Mattie

Postby hoodedclaw » 21st Oct 09, 14:06

Here's a clue to that Mattie: think Simon and Garfunkel.
One Two Sandwich
hoodedclaw

Postby WiredOut » 21st Oct 09, 14:41

hoodedclaw wrote:Here's a clue to that Mattie: think Simon and Garfunkel.

Aha! TOLBINY. I'd heard the vocals in the background but hadn't made out that they were actual lyrics, thought they were just 'aah's. Good spot, both of you. The song's played at a pivotal moment in the movie Garden State too, if people are still needing clues. :)

Also does it seem to anyone else that the twinkling synth notes that emerge in the background of the same section are a nod to/ lift from the strings in the bridge/chorus of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb?
WiredOut

Postby Mattie » 21st Oct 09, 18:02

hoodedclaw wrote:Here's a clue to that Mattie: think Simon and Garfunkel.

Ahh I'd never heard that song before, or really much by them at all.
Shameful, I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-QUAATT ... re=related

It's a pretty fine song actually.
ImageImage
Mattie

Postby hoodedclaw » 22nd Oct 09, 14:26

If you're gonna nick something, nick something beautiful.
One Two Sandwich
hoodedclaw

Postby aboynamedposh » 23rd Oct 09, 01:42

WiredOut wrote:Also does it seem to anyone else that the twinkling synth notes that emerge in the background of the same section are a nod to/ lift from the strings in the bridge/chorus of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb?

Reminds me more of 'Watermelon in Easter Hay' by Zappa.
aboynamedposh

Postby seventieslord » 2nd Dec 09, 20:54

Mattie wrote:You know, after countless listens I've only just noticed that there's a vocal in the outtro to Chutzpah! of what I assume is 'Ooooooh, here I am' (in response to 'if they don't know you're alive' I guess)

When I say countless listens - I think I've actually listened to it pretty much EVERY DAY whilst sat bored at work.

I am SO not hearing this.Help me out, guys.
seventieslord

Postby WiredOut » 2nd Dec 09, 23:28

seventieslord wrote:
Mattie wrote:You know, after countless listens I've only just noticed that there's a vocal in the outtro to Chutzpah! of what I assume is 'Ooooooh, here I am' (in response to 'if they don't know you're alive' I guess)

I am SO not hearing this.Help me out, guys.

Quite high and back in the mix, I thought it was synths, then I thought it was vocal 'aahs' at first. The words 'Here I am' can be heard first time at 4 mins 18 secs to about 4.26, then at 4.51 again, same duration, then at 5.24 for last time during fade-out. Those are the times on my CD player anyway.
WiredOut

Postby Keith Richard » 3rd Dec 09, 09:35

Finally recovered my Japanese release from the Singapore post system yesterday. The unheard song that jumps out at me is "All That Zen". Fairly up tempo with a live-the-day type message. I'm still struggling with time changes in the chorus, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually. I would have been happy to loose one of maybe two tracks on the album in favour of this song.....but I suppose that's a fairly predictable thing for anyone to say :roll:
cause the chances are good that it wont let you down, like maybe drinking with Keith, or seeing Dolly Parton's tits...
Keith Richard

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat