CHUTZPAH! REViEWS

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Postby maxpower » 24th Sep 09, 09:15

8) Well having had the album since the release & the single before that & also less than a week to the Newcastle gig (please people behave lets not fuck up a "hometown" gig for Ginger but having said that the few arseholes who have tainted a few gigs won't be using this forum) It just pisses me off & thats putting it lightly.

Anyway, the album is excellent and has hidden depth I for one don't want anymore re-writes of the old classics we have them already. I would score the album 5/5 & I know some people feel a bit short changed about the length etc but to me thats what great pop tunes are meant to be; getting your message across in 3-4 minutes. That old chestnut leave the public wanting more ...
maxpower

Postby KnievelTim » 25th Sep 09, 11:34

maxpower wrote: Well having had the album since the release & the single before that & also less than a week to the Newcastle gig (please people behave lets not fuck up a "hometown" gig for Ginger but having said that the few arseholes who have tainted a few gigs won't be using this forum) It just pisses me off & thats putting it lightly.

Anyway, the album is excellent and has hidden depth I for one don't want anymore re-writes of the old classics we have them already. I would score the album 5/5 & I know some people feel a bit short changed about the length etc but to me thats what great pop tunes are meant to be; getting your message across in 3-4 minutes. That old chestnut leave the public wanting more ...

Agreed it's an awesome album and can't stop listening to it.
HOWEVER, as I've ranted about before, why the hell do the Japanese get the proper version and we get the short one? (I know we'll probably get the extra tracks as B-sides but we all know how many songs Ginger (for one) produces and there were loads of tracks recorded in this session)

I don't want to be left wanting more- I paid good money for the album and want to feel satisfied! Firstly, most of the tracks are too short (and by that I mean they've been spoilt by stopping abruptly); and secondly there is not enough meat in the run up to the title track (i.e. You Took the Sunshine and Mazel are both short and lightweight)

Songs like John of Violence, Tim Smith and Low Energy Vortex in my opinon could have been even better as they sound choked and miss that unpredictable sparkle I love about the longer WH songs. I'd say half of the songs are crying out to be allowed to develop a little.

A great pop album definitely doesn't need to be full of short pop songs; sure, a few could-be singles are usually a good idea but the definite 'album' tracks need to provide the meat and I feel some of this is lacking in the UK Chutzpah!

It's a shame as every part of me wants to consider this a 5/5 album but I find the above shortfalls hard to swallow.

Bring on Shepherds Bush next week though! :D
KnievelTim

Postby Keith Richard » 25th Sep 09, 14:35

KnievelTim wrote:Agreed it's an awesome album and can't stop listening to it.
HOWEVER, as I've ranted about before, why the hell do the Japanese get the proper version and we get the short one? (I know we'll probably get the extra tracks as B-sides but we all know how many songs Ginger (for one) produces and there were loads of tracks recorded in this session)

The UK release of the album is the PROPER version. The Jap has extra tracks bolted on.
cause the chances are good that it wont let you down, like maybe drinking with Keith, or seeing Dolly Parton's tits...
Keith Richard

Postby andy_b » 25th Sep 09, 14:42

Keith Richard wrote:

The UK release of the album is the PROPER version. The Jap has extra tracks bolted on.

As discussed here.

Andy
andy_b

Postby nuno75 » 25th Sep 09, 15:53

I bet they release an EP of all of the B-sides and name it Chutzpah Jr.
nuno75

Postby Andwah » 25th Sep 09, 16:03

That's what i was hoping for, it would be the opposite to Riff after Riff, a bonus disc for the UK only!
Andwah

Postby nuno75 » 25th Sep 09, 16:14

They should throw Chuzpah onto the end of it, though... just to round it off nicely.
nuno75

Postby maxpower » 25th Sep 09, 17:55

8) Everyone is different the two you mention lightweight " You Took the Sunshine and Mazel" to me are built for the stage but horses for courses.
maxpower

Postby Mattie » 25th Sep 09, 19:40

For the self titled album, and VDC / Yoni, some people thought the longer songs were 'long for the sake of it' so I'd like to think those people were more than satisfied that most of the songs have been trimmed down for Chutzpah.

It's just a case of not being able to please all of the people all of the time, and other such cliches.
ImageImage
Mattie

Postby Andwah » 25th Sep 09, 21:26

Aye Nuno, sorry, forgot you're Americana. But you know what i mean.
Andwah

Postby nuno75 » 25th Sep 09, 23:44

Andwah wrote:Aye Nuno, sorry, forgot you're Americana. But you know what i mean.

I know. It's all good.But I'd trade my Riff After Riff for your Coupled With any day of the week, my friend.

On Riff After Riff, they apparently didn't have a copy of "Return To Zero" on hand when they were laying out the CD, so they called someone who they'd given a demo-tape of it to and had them play it while holding their cell phone up to the speaker, and then just shot it right from the phone to the CD. Or something.
nuno75

Postby KnievelTim » 25th Sep 09, 23:53

Keith Richard wrote:

Interesting...i always considered 'bolting on' to be where extra bits have been crudely chucked onto the end of an album- not the case with the jap album. I'm aware of the issues surrounding albums in japan but i don't believe our fave band would release a rubbish bloated album just to satisfy that market. It's kind of irrelevant anyway, the fact remains (in my mind) that this release is slightly tarnished by the choking of certain tracks. I'm not complaining though, i love this album and this band more than ever :-)
KnievelTim

Postby JohnD » 26th Sep 09, 00:50

I am a new fan. I don't know how 17 years of Ginger and the Wildhearts' brilliance escaped me, but it did. Tragic. I was turned onto the music by listening to the RnR Geek Show podcast. I went to both Viper Room shows.

Honestly, I've never felt more lonely since discovering this band. Not only as a songwriter am I completely humbled, but as a music fan I find that none of my friends relate. I went to the 2nd Ginger Viper Room show alone, my extra ticket wasted.

I reviewed Chutzpah! and the 2nd Ginger Viper Room show on my blog. I'd paste 'em here but they are both very long:

Chutzpah:
http://blog.johndissed.com/?p=136

Ginger @ The Viper Room
http://blog.johndissed.com/?p=43

I've listened to Chutzpah! about 100 more times since I wrote my review and it is that many more times appreciated. I cannot stop listening to it.

I appreciate all of your enthusiasm for the band, and music in general. Makes me want to move to the UK. I have never been, but seeing the Wildhearts where they are loved is almost incentive enough to plan a trip.
JohnD

Postby WiredOut » 26th Sep 09, 13:51

That's some wonderful writing, JohnD. Welcome aboard the good ship Wildheart. Yo-ho. Let's go. :)
'C'mon, make me feel like me.'
WiredOut

Postby andy_b » 26th Sep 09, 13:56

Hey JohnD, welcome aboard!

There ain't any reason for you to feel alone, now you've joined up with the enlightened masses :)
And there's quite a few American fans on the board as well, so you've got some closer neighbours :)

Although I'm sure if you plan a trip over to Blighty, you'd be welcomed with open arms!

Have fun!

Andy
andy_b

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat