CHUTZPAH! REViEWS

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Postby my3dtvtan » 27th Aug 09, 23:44

Ok so Ive now lived with Chutzpah! for a day (well since 9.28 this morning if you want to be specific) and I can now confidently say that this album satisfyes me on every musical level more than any other album I can think of. I dont want it to seem like im some fanboy who will buy anything with the word Wildhearts on it, I truely get a certain energy from Chutzpah! that I have never felt before.

Obviously this is the best the Wildhearts have ever 'sounded'. The production may have been hard to swallow for my underground hardcore friendly ears but It took no more than 1 and a half minutes of The Jackson Whites to recognise the nessesity of the step forward and for me to fully appreciate what has been achived here.

I hear this album as the perfect amalgamation of sounds from PHUQ, ...TWMBD and s/t. A case of 'dont look back but never forget', the album is The Wildhearts history perfectly distilled in to a new beast that has its sights firmly set on the here and now. For me it has the rock from PHUQ, the pop from TWMBD and the epic vision from s/t all filterd through a newly rejuvinated erm.... chutzpah.

It took 1 full listen to get over and, in fact, enjoy the use of Scott and CJ on vocals. Personally I cant tell exactly who's singing at certain points but no matter what vocal tracking was used, for some reason it always sounds like The Wildhearts.

I origonally had a paragraph here about my fav tracks from the album but after half an hour I still cant pick and choose one over another. The Jackson Whites is THE perfect album opener and Chutzpah is THE perfect album closer to my ears. And the tracks in between are perect 'rock' songs from ever corner of referance from Weezer to Helmet to Screaming Trees to Devin Townsend.

I keep hearing little sections that make me recall other songs like does anybody else think Plastic Jebus recalls Terria by Devin Townsend. Also everytime I hear the intro to Mazel Tov Cocktail I think of Borderline and the first second of You Are Proof That Not All Women Are Insane made me feel like Hate The World Day was about to kick in. And You Took The Sunshine From New York has Rivers Cuomo stamped all over it. Saying that I totally love how Chutzpah is its completely own unique creation and the ONLY other thing I can think to compair it to is The Wildhearts.

I feel compelled to write pages to fully exress my love of this album and my appreciation for being a fan at this point in the bands history but tbh Im finding it hard to fully articulate myself to convay the exact sense of joy I feel from this album and my one chosen band.

If Ginger or Rich, Cj or Scott happen to read any of this then the best way I can sum myself up is to say this - I am (only just) 19 years old. I used to feel jealus that I couldnt have live through discovering Mondo Akimbo... on vinyl and living the rise of this mythical legend of a band. I was bitter that I was only 6 when Endless Nameless was released and couldnt join in with the 'new direction' debate and that I couldnt have travelled to see the Moodswingers secret gig and that I never bought Kerrang after you trashed the office as I was just starting primary school. But after listening to Chutzpah that resentment has been relpaced by appreciation. I am lucky enough to be involved in this period of the band. I was in the New Flesh video. I was front row at the anniversary gig. I am proud and priveliged to be a fan right here and now and I thank you all for the happyness you bring me.

I need a lie down now....

Oh an btw it now makes sense why Ginger asked about baby pigeons on the Bruce Dickinson show :wink:
Interviewer - "So whats the secret of your longevity?"
Ginger - "Splitting up!"

"Bernard, its hot in the worm."

www.myspace.com/anodesrock
my3dtvtan

Postby firedup » 28th Aug 09, 11:39

Just dropped through my letterbox!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Pleased to be working from home today!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Not one for writing reviews but will comment later :D :D :D
firedup

Postby melx » 28th Aug 09, 11:53

my3dtvtan wrote:If Ginger or Rich, Cj or Scott happen to read any of this then the best way I can sum myself up is to say this - I am (only just) 19 years old. I used to feel jealus that I couldnt have live through discovering Mondo Akimbo... on vinyl and living the rise of this mythical legend of a band. I was bitter that I was only 6 when Endless Nameless was released and couldnt join in with the 'new direction' debate and that I couldnt have travelled to see the Moodswingers secret gig and that I never bought Kerrang after you trashed the office as I was just starting primary school. But after listening to Chutzpah that resentment has been relpaced by appreciation. I am lucky enough to be involved in this period of the band. I was in the New Flesh video. I was front row at the anniversary gig. I am proud and priveliged to be a fan right here and now and I thank you all for the happyness you bring me.

I had a tear in my eye reading that.....seriously.
melx

Postby melx » 28th Aug 09, 11:54

firedup wrote:Just dropped through my letterbox!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Pleased to be working from home today!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Not one for writing reviews but will comment later :D :D :D

Man, my posty doesn't come 'tll around 1pm...... I'm gonna cry if it doesn't come today!!
melx

Postby Silkenone » 28th Aug 09, 12:12

my3dtvtan - what a brilliant post. Good on ya! :D
Silkenone

Postby Sarc » 28th Aug 09, 12:14

Silkenone wrote:my3dtvtan - what a brilliant post. Good on ya! :D

No-one ever says that about mine :cry:
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby Silkenone » 28th Aug 09, 12:16

Sarc wrote:
Silkenone wrote:my3dtvtan - what a brilliant post. Good on ya! :D

No-one ever says that about mine :cry:

Ah, mate - you know it goes without saying.
Silkenone

Postby Sarc » 28th Aug 09, 12:21

Thanks but i know you're just saying it.

Then again I'm a mod so that automatically makes my posts brilliant, :P
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby Assmask » 28th Aug 09, 12:43

OT OT!!!

;)

Seriously, good post My3DTVTan. Not often I bother reading posts if they go over 2 paragraphs, but that kept my attention.
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

https://www.facebook.com/biggrizzlyband
Assmask

Postby WiredOut » 28th Aug 09, 12:55

melx wrote:
my3dtvtan wrote:If Ginger or Rich, Cj or Scott happen to read any of this then the best way I can sum myself up is to say this - I am (only just) 19 years old. I used to feel jealus that I couldnt have live through discovering Mondo Akimbo... on vinyl and living the rise of this mythical legend of a band. I was bitter that I was only 6 when Endless Nameless was released and couldnt join in with the 'new direction' debate and that I couldnt have travelled to see the Moodswingers secret gig and that I never bought Kerrang after you trashed the office as I was just starting primary school. But after listening to Chutzpah that resentment has been relpaced by appreciation. I am lucky enough to be involved in this period of the band. I was in the New Flesh video. I was front row at the anniversary gig. I am proud and priveliged to be a fan right here and now and I thank you all for the happyness you bring me.

I had a tear in my eye reading that.....seriously.

Yeah, that was sweet and rather moving. God bless all wildhearts, within and without the band. :wink:
'C'mon, make me feel like me.'
WiredOut

Postby bucks » 28th Aug 09, 13:11

excellent to hear all your opinions ,some great posts.personally i cannot stop playing the title track it has got everything in it still gives me goosebumps.funnily enough its by far my fave track and i still dont like the funny voice effect,thats something only the wildhearts could do.
bucks

Postby paulron32 » 28th Aug 09, 13:45

My postie has been and gone and still no sign of it. Starting to wonder how I will survive the weekend if it doesn't show up tomorrow.

Thanks for all the posts with thoughts and comments - it really is building my anticipation to new levels. I haven't been this exicted about a release from the boys since PHUQ which I bought on holiday on CD and only had a tape deck. Image how that feels, having the velvet sleeve and only able to stroke it!
Hey Dawg, did you see the size of that chicken?
paulron32

Postby melx » 28th Aug 09, 16:14

paulron32 wrote:My postie has been and gone and still no sign of it. Starting to wonder how I will survive the weekend if it doesn't show up tomorrow.

mine didn't come either.............. I'm a bit pissed off if i'm honest. :cry:
melx

Postby john v. » 28th Aug 09, 16:40

I have preordered from 3 different sites. But my mailbox was empty today again. Aaarrrg... faen faen faen... :x
I promise to pay the bearer
some spunk,
some snot
& some shite...
john v.

Postby gar971y » 28th Aug 09, 17:36

got mine today from HMV online,,and i live in belfast,,will give the album a while before i say anything on it,,, :D :D
gar971y

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat