CHUTZPAH! PRESS

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Postby WiredOut » 20th Sep 09, 13:38

wez_wildheart wrote:wasnt struck on the comments at the end of the first review about us having to endure drugs, splits and that.

it's safe to say that those days are long gone and the band appear to be more of a unit than in anytime of their history. if it was tongue in cheek that comment then fair enough.

of course no band lasts forever but those comments, in my opinion, suck

My brother is an Aerosmith fan and has been frustrated in the past by how many articles written in the 2000s can still start by banging on about bad behaviour that ended in the mid-eighties, very recent cloudiness there notwithstanding.

So I wouldn't expect it to end soon, writing about controversial behaviour provides a temptingly simple hook to win the attention of more casual readers and an easy 'narrative' arc to carry the feature to a more uplifting present. I know I've read many articles, even books about rock stars whose music I'm indifferent to or unaware of, just cos I like rubbernecking at squalid, stupid, reckless, disastrous behaviour.
'C'mon, make me feel like me.'
WiredOut

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 20th Sep 09, 17:44

geordierussell wrote:Finally one from Metal Hammer.

What score did it get in Metal Hammer?

Would be good to see a full page ad in Kerrang, with qoutes from all these reviews. Wonder if that would be worth it though re promoting the album.
Jason_scorching_past

Postby Ean » 21st Sep 09, 13:09

Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby WiredOut » 21st Sep 09, 23:19

It's great to see these good notices, even if I've seen shopping lists written with more flair than some of these online reviews. ;)
WiredOut

Postby Ross » 22nd Sep 09, 11:00

"John of Violence', which has a blend of hard-hitting drums complements a chorus, that is calm and pulled off brilliantly."

"Even though the slightly heavier tracks don't make this an all-round superb record, by a band full of confidence, who have used their experience to good use"

I don't know what you mean... Those are clearly quotes they could stick on the front of the album... :P
Ross

Postby Ean » 22nd Sep 09, 14:19

Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Ean » 27th Sep 09, 16:19

Ean Ü

Ean

Postby melx » 27th Sep 09, 18:50

Ean wrote:JohnDissed.com

http://blog.johndissed.com/?p=136

What a fantastic, intelligent review.
melx

Postby vickyp » 27th Sep 09, 21:19

I guess this is intended as a good review. But 'Mall music'? MALL MUSIC???
why I outta.... Image

My favourite band do not make music for slouching round yer generic Gap/Next/MuckyD's enormo stores, thank-you-very-much. Image
Zorro won't build me a time machine
vickyp

Postby melx » 27th Sep 09, 21:36

vickyp wrote:

why I outta.... Image

My favourite band do not make music for slouching round yer generic Gap/Next/MuckyD's enormo stores, thank-you-very-much. Image

hahaha, well he did go on to say. ...... "made for shopping as the world burns." :D
melx

Postby WiredOut » 28th Sep 09, 00:41

vickyp wrote:

why I outta.... Image

I think he's digging at the welcoming, ultra-modern universality of the music, in a sense.

I just listened to the Japanese version of the album with my brother whilst driving back to Fife via Edinburgh after the Glasgow gig and there's something in the modernity and electronic textures of the album that perfectly soundscapes driving across glittering bridges at night, gazing at streaming tail-lights, somehow. The music has always been timeless, now it's also timely. I get the escalators on Times Square thing that way, I think. Michael Mann would love this shit. ;)
WiredOut

Postby Ean » 29th Sep 09, 11:43

Ean Ü

Ean

Postby Ean » 29th Sep 09, 21:20

Shock! Magazine Review

http://www.shockmagazin.hu/magyar/cd/1/ ... tzpah.html

8/10! Sounds good - don't suppose anyone speaks Hungarian?
Ean Ü

Ean

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 30th Sep 09, 20:06

WiredOut wrote: I get the escalators on Times Square thing that way, I think. Michael Mann would love this shit. ;)

When i hear the keyboards at the end of Chutzpah it reminds of some of the synthesizer music in Heat.
Jason_scorching_past

Postby Ean » 16th Oct 09, 19:39

Ean Ü

Ean

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat