CHUTZPAH! PRESS

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Postby wez_wildheart » 2nd Sep 09, 15:56

wasnt struck on the comments at the end of the first review about us having to endure drugs, splits and that.

it's safe to say that those days are long gone and the band appear to be more of a unit than in anytime of their history. if it was tongue in cheek that comment then fair enough.

of course no band lasts forever but those comments, in my opinion, suck
wez_wildheart

Postby Ean » 2nd Sep 09, 16:52

Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Soundog » 2nd Sep 09, 17:42

Ean wrote:Rock Realms Review

Wow... that's a brilliant review considering he says he's never been a fan -great to hear it's winning over people.

And wez: I thought the Lullabies reviewer meant to say that the dire years of drugs & fighting were worth it for what The Wildhearts have now become. That's how I read it anyway.
Soundog

Postby lob » 2nd Sep 09, 22:02

I don't have a scanner but there is a four star review in Record Collector, fair assessment too it seems from someone who obviously knows (and loves) the Wildhearts. I didn't see mention of the review earlier on this thread but there is a lot to read so appologies if someone got there afore me
Now available in new Grandad format
lob

Postby Ean » 2nd Sep 09, 23:06

Ah, good spot.

Fortunately, they're one of the few magazines that actually bothers to archive their reviews on their website:

http://www.recordcollectormag.com/revie ... etail/4593

Rock Midget Review:

http://www.rockmidgets.com/releases.php?id=3732

JukeboxMetal.com

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2009/the-wi ... -chutzpah/
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby thegweywabbit » 3rd Sep 09, 07:01

ya know, I was about to post my own thoughts on Chutzpah! in the reviews thread (and still might later on) but it would pretty much be the same as the rockmidgets review!
they didn't mention my current favorite cut, "Low Energy Vortex" or the pure pop genius that is "YTTSFNY", but besides that, they pretty much said it all.

... so for now, I'll just say bravo and leave it at that!
Rooting 4 THE WILDHEARTS!!!
jd
thegweywabbit

Postby Ean » 3rd Sep 09, 20:34

Ean Ü

Ean

Postby maxpower » 7th Sep 09, 17:07

8) I must say the number 53 entry in top 100 list is disappointing in the album charts
maxpower

Postby Ean » 9th Sep 09, 14:50

Mindview.be

http://www.mindview.be

Kindly translated by the author, Kris Meskens

THE WILDHEARTS

Chutzpah

Backstage Alliance/Clearspot

No clue whatsoever what ‘Chutzpah’ means, unless it's a word for melodies that remind of The Beatles in combination with heavy guitars and powerful bass lines. The Wildhearts do on their new cd what they're best in: mixing the sweetest of choruses with verses in turmoil. As if a poet and a wild man just have gotten into a fight in an English pub. Singer-guitarist Ginger is one of the most underrated songwriters of this time. Humour also plays a big part in the life of the wildhearted men, as proven by songs as “The Jackson Whites” or “You Are Proof That Not All Women Are Insane”. (KM) SILVER (5/7)
Ean Ü

Ean

Postby Sarc » 9th Sep 09, 15:41

Not a bad little review although I fail to see where the humour lies in Jackson Whites.
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby markE » 9th Sep 09, 16:11

Sarc wrote:Not a bad little review although I fail to see where the humour lies in Jackson Whites.

what - dying in a hole isn't funny anymore? :wink:
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby Sarc » 9th Sep 09, 16:28

Only if it's a clown dear boy, only if it's a clown.
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby andy_b » 12th Sep 09, 15:08

A bit from this month's news pages in Classic Rock:

To Shitsville and back and still alive to tell the tale - despite trying to wear out the self-destruct button.

With their latest album, Chutzpah!, The Wildhearts are looking to lay their self-destructive ghosts to rest. Concise and considered, it's arguably their most upbeat and cohesive album to date. An outside producer (Jacob Hansen), and bassist Scott Sorry and guitarist CJ both taking turns to sing has all helped the band redefine their sound for the better. Prior to a UK tour that starts this month, CR spoke to Ginger backstage at Sonisphere.

The new album is very positive and upbeat.
It's a more complete piece, that's for sure. I think the album's energy has to do with things like the length of the songs and the democracy of the band this time around.

And you gave in and got a producer, and even did demos this time.
I know. We don't demo, we don't rehearse; we're Ramones fans. And we wrote a lot of it together. Plus, that's Jacob for you, too. He has an attention to miniscule detail, things like the fine-tuning of the vocals. But Rich has really come into his own on this album, too. His performance is the secret weapon. He's like a Dave Grohl or a Tre Cool - very clever, can be very technical, but knows when to hold back.

You cleaning up your act and getting away to New York for a while must have had an impact too.
I think this album sounds so positive as the last one sounds so negative. But yes, I went to New York and I got sober and started reading lots of stuff - philosophy, positive thinking, self-help stuff. I'm more fascinated by the idea of those books than anything else. I was sober for 18 months so when we recorded I was in a good mind-set.

And New York looms large in quite a few of the songs.
I was writing solo material there, so when the music for this came through, the lyrics were bound to be influenced by the city, just from the experience, what was happening to me at that time in my life.

Songs like John Of Violence still have that flamboyant Wildhearts approach, but all done in under four minutes. How did you do that?
That was such a hard song to get right. Scott was going to sing it at one point, but then I did. I was listening back to the last album, and there was a song on there that was so complex and intricate and long that I couldn't get to the end of it! I didn't want that again, so this time we edited almost everything down.

You seem to manage running your solo stuff alongside the Wildhearts without too much trouble.
I think the solo stuff is more cathartic, it's like therapy. I read the lyrics and get to hear what I really think. It's quite revealing. And there have been times where I've thought: "I'm not sure I like this guy."

Back to the band, you've suddenly got three singers.
CJ has a great voice, and we tend to phrase vocals the same way anyway. Scott just blows me away, plus he sings with his own band [Sorry And The Sinatras]. I hope people like it, but we can't keep going on doing the same pop/punk thing we have, keeping the same formula, or we'll stop caring about. I now feel like we've got things to do, like we're in this for the long haul.

Andy
andy_b

Postby emceehamster » 18th Sep 09, 18:02

http://www.rockunited.com/reviews2009_0 ... ldhearts_c

8/10 on Rock United

It's my review, and I will also be reviewing the Bristol gig tonight.
emceehamster

Postby geordierussell » 18th Sep 09, 18:34

Finally one from Metal Hammer.

http://www.tinyurl.com/gnr2010
geordierussell

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat