ASK GiNGER QUESTiONS

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Re: ASK GiNGER QUESTiONS

Postby Hobbo_the_hobo » 16th Oct 10, 02:57

Bit of a weird thing to throw out of the blue, but im stuck thinking about how fantastic the Guitarmageddon show was, any chance of this kind of show making it onto a recording? It would be fantastic to have some songs like The Drunken Lord Of Everything, or Geordie In Wonderland with a massive acoustic sound on record.
Upcoming gigs:

The Wildhearts 21/12
Pearl Jam 25/6
Hobbo_the_hobo

Postby Ginger » 2nd Nov 10, 11:41

<< by Hobbo_the_hobo » 16th Oct 10, 02:57

Bit of a weird thing to throw out of the blue, but im stuck thinking about how fantastic the Guitarmageddon show was, any chance of this kind of show making it onto a recording? It would be fantastic to have some songs like The Drunken Lord Of Everything, or Geordie In Wonderland with a massive acoustic sound on record.>>

It's a great idea that I'd love to do someday. Guitarmageddon is charity only, and CD sales wouldn't make as much money as ticket sales, but I'd still love to do it if the occasion presented itself.

<< by WiredOut » 15th Oct 10, 22:44

Sorry, feel like I'm dominating this question column here (I'll stop soon) but what's your favourite ever live performance of a single song (witnessed or recorded)?

Obviously, I never saw this actually happen, but this performance of 'White Lies' by JATS beats anything else I've ever seen live or otherwise for sheer 'hold onto your souls motherfuckers' universe-shaking love-fuelled undestroyable rock'n'roll anarchy-engine-energy:

(sure you'll be familiar with it but here's the link anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9unLB8lNCJ8>>

Well that certainly ranks up there with anything I've ever seen. Wow! My favourite performance is kind of impossible to pin point. There have been moments at Prodigy (early) gigs where the music, crowd and drugs worked perfectly. Ramones gigs have made me feel like I had an extended family, Kiss made me realise what I wanted to do with my life. The Darkness left me without air in my lungs on a few occasions. The list goes on. The best thing about special moments is that there's tons more to come.

<< by WiredOut » 15th Oct 10, 20:55

Thanks for all your replies again.

I love 'No Way Out But Through'. As I've said elsewhere, it sounds to me like a superior slice of modern melodic r'n'b. I think there's loads of young boy/girl r'n'b/pop groups who would jump all over the chance to record a song like this.

Which leads me to ask if you ever consider publishing/selling your poppier compositions to big Western record companies? Seems with the quality, consistency and prolific nature of your writing you might well make a packet, even if only a tiny proportion of your songs ever got anywhere (although I understand that this whole process is likely infinitely more complicated than I can imagine)?

I know you've already done stuff like this for the Japanese market, which also leads me to ask if there's any way we could hear any of these songs?

Cheers again.>>

Writing for other artists isn't as easy as just selling a song to a publisher or band, sadly, it's more of a private club you have to gain access to.
Will I ever release the demo's of songs I've already written for people? Funny but I was thinking about this recently. Maybe I'll put out an album of songs written for other artists, with guest singers, one day? I, personally, would like to hear that.
Ginger

Postby benwalton » 2nd Nov 10, 12:58

Ginger wrote:Writing for other artists isn't as easy as just selling a song to a publisher or band, sadly, it's more of a private club you have to gain access to.
Will I ever release the demo's of songs I've already written for people? Funny but I was thinking about this recently. Maybe I'll put out an album of songs written for other artists, with guest singers, one day? I, personally, would like to hear that.

Weird that you said this, I got hold of David Rotheray's new album Life of Birds the other day which is songs he's written with guest vocalists. Listening to it I thought how great it could be if you did something similar
and just last week as i was clearing shit from off my shelf...
benwalton

Postby blackdeathcrew » 2nd Nov 10, 14:19

I know this has been asked many times in the past and hopefully you're not fed up of answering it! but I just wondered if there's any probability that you'll work with Devin Townsend in the future? You guys are surely destined to make the best album of all time together
ImageImage
blackdeathcrew

Postby Chris Davies » 2nd Nov 10, 23:27

Hi Ginger,

I was just wondering what made you do the cover of Heroine by the Dogs? Although I love the dogs it's never personally been one of my favorite songs by them or Tyla. Was it a time and a place sort of thing or are you a big fan of the song?

Also just wanted to say that the Jason & the Scorchers album 'Halcyon Times' is a belter and possibly one of my favorite albums this year, after revisiting it after a few months without hearing it, i'd say it's a pretty classic album. Your name comes up on quite alot on the credits of the songs, are any of lyrics yours? Or did you just write the music. Either way still a great album. Thanks.
Chris Davies

Postby shadow » 4th Nov 10, 00:35

dunno if you agree but things seem a bit flat on these shores musically......all we get is manufactured and formula shit really.....seems like a long long time since you were regularly putting new stuff out and to be honest i've preferred your solo stuff in recent years but don't even post on here now....well that's a lie doh here i am....but i do lurk.....anyway are we witnessing a slow down in your output or are you planning something a bit special ?? anyway Ginger thanks for some great times past and if you're bowing out gracefully from performing would you be entering into music in management or something related??....will continue to lurk
shadow

Postby Damian » 4th Nov 10, 01:27

shadow wrote:dunno if you agree but things seem a bit flat on these shores musically......all we get is manufactured and formula shit really.....

This wasn't a question for me but I have to interject. That's just not right - there's so much good music out there right now. We are spoilt. Really.
Damian

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 4th Nov 10, 03:21

seconding damian's comment there - if you can't find any new music you like, then frankly you're not looking hard enough.
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
spoon_of_grimbo

Postby Ginger » 4th Nov 10, 11:05

<< by shadow » 4th Nov 10, 00:35

dunno if you agree but things seem a bit flat on these shores musically......all we get is manufactured and formula shit really.....seems like a long long time since you were regularly putting new stuff out and to be honest i've preferred your solo stuff in recent years but don't even post on here now....well that's a lie doh here i am....but i do lurk.....anyway are we witnessing a slow down in your output or are you planning something a bit special ?? anyway Ginger thanks for some great times past and if you're bowing out gracefully from performing would you be entering into music in management or something related??....will continue to lurk>>

Ironically I've been busier than I've been in a while. I recently co-wrote the Jason & the Scorchers album (it's a blinder, check it out), co-wrote and recorded the Michael Monroe album (another punk-tastic stormer, you're gonna love it), am in the process of writing and recording a new solo-ish album in January (under the moniker of The Ginger Wildheart Band), been writing for a new project with Nathan from Snow Patrol, Didz Hammond from Cooper Temple Clause and Chris McCormack from 3CR. I've also been writing stuff for other artists that I may or may not put out in future. As far as new music, have you heard Chickenhawk? Kveleretak? Foxy Shazam? There are so many great bands around at the moment, it's just a case of asking around and seeking them out before they blow up. And the great news is that you can check them all out for free online. You can even use media fire to listen to whole albums (just as long as you promise to buy it if you like it). I'm really excited to be alive right now, and hope you can find the same zest in 2011. It's gonna be a fantastic year.

<<Hi Ginger,

I was just wondering what made you do the cover of Heroine by the Dogs? Although I love the dogs it's never personally been one of my favorite songs by them or Tyla. Was it a time and a place sort of thing or are you a big fan of the song?

Also just wanted to say that the Jason & the Scorchers album 'Halcyon Times' is a belter and possibly one of my favorite albums this year, after revisiting it after a few months without hearing it, i'd say it's a pretty classic album. Your name comes up on quite alot on the credits of the songs, are any of lyrics yours? Or did you just write the music. Either way still a great album. Thanks.>>

I'm not exactly sure what prompted us to do it but I do remember it was a decision made in the pub one afternoon, and be early evening it was recorded. I'm not a big fan of the Dogs but I always really liked that song.
Regarding JATS, I was pretty heavily involved in the music, melodies and lyrics. Songwriting is a very democratic business, and JATS are a VERY diplomatic band, so the credits reflect the presence of everyone who was in the room at the time of writing.

<< by blackdeathcrew » 2nd Nov 10, 14:19

I know this has been asked many times in the past and hopefully you're not fed up of answering it! but I just wondered if there's any probability that you'll work with Devin Townsend in the future? You guys are surely destined to make the best album of all time together>>

I kind of give the same answer every time I'm asked this question. I'd love to work with Devin and would be there in a heartbeat if he called (schedules permitting, of course).
Ginger

Postby markE » 4th Nov 10, 13:45

I'm not exactly sure what prompted us to do it but I do remember it was a decision made in the pub one afternoon, and be early evening it was recorded. I'm not a big fan of the Dogs but I always really liked that song.

i've noticed that you've said that a few times now and it really surprises me. I got heavily into the dogs about the same time that i discovered the wildhearts and to me the two bands were representative of everything i loved about music. there are obviously other connections, like bam, tyla and danny working together etc.
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 4th Nov 10, 15:17

Ginger wrote:I'd love to work with Devin and would be there in a heartbeat if he called (schedules permitting, of course).

why not make the first move and call him? :bounce:

all i'm hearing in my head right now is an earth-shattering hybrid of "city" and "chutzpah!" and it's amazing....
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
spoon_of_grimbo

Postby blackdeathcrew » 4th Nov 10, 15:24

spoon_of_grimbo wrote:
Ginger wrote:I'd love to work with Devin and would be there in a heartbeat if he called (schedules permitting, of course).

why not make the first move and call him? :bounce:

all i'm hearing in my head right now is an earth-shattering hybrid of "city" and "chutzpah!" and it's amazing....

:mosh:
ImageImage
blackdeathcrew

Postby Nojahoda » 4th Nov 10, 17:40

Ginger wrote:As far as new music, have you heard Chickenhawk? Kveleretak? Foxy Shazam?

I saw Foxy Shazam over the summer when they supported Lostprophets and they were pretty much booed off. I thought they were fabulous, guess that tells you more about Lostprophets fans than anything else.

There are some songs on Devin's "Addicted!" album which could very well be WH songs. You really should have written Bend it like Bender ;)

Anyway, in order to make this seem like a question, my current project is building myself an amplifier (it's gonna be all of 5W of valve niceness, that'll be loud enough to rehearse and record with though), have you ever tried or been tempted to pick up the soldering iron and try anything like that? If so was it a roaring success or was it a horrible mess of earth-loops and mains hum?

Got a half-finished guitar sitting under my bed, too :lol:
Nojahoda

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 5th Nov 10, 17:22

spoon_of_grimbo wrote:seconding damian's comment there - if you can't find any new music you like, then frankly you're not looking hard enough.
Too right! There's loads of good new bands out there playing their hearts out - the media just chooses to ignore them as they aren't what they consider 'in' this month. Nothing changes but the shoes...
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Postby getting_it_sucks » 7th Nov 10, 17:59

Ginger wrote:
As far as new music, have you heard Chickenhawk? Kveleretak? Foxy Shazam? There are so many great bands around at the moment, it's just a case of asking around and seeking them out before they blow up.

Speaking of Foxy Shazam, any chance of when The Wildhearts tour again, Foxy getting a support slot?
getting_it_sucks

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat