Looong time lurker with a heartfelt request

Techy questions and queries, 'How To' guides and forum announcement archive.

Looong time lurker with a heartfelt request

Postby blackout bill » 15th May 11, 23:21

Hi all

I'm probably one of the longest-serving lurkers in WH history. I have a very good reason for coming out from under my rock; my daughter was still-born two weeks ago, and we buried her yesterday. My wife and I want to something good to come out of this, so have created a justgiving page in her memory - please see below link, and please please donate if you are able or inclined to so do.

http://www.justgiving.com/Stephen-Finch1

Very quick resume of my WH credentials - First WH gig - supporting Love/Hate at Rock City in something like 1991. Bought original "Mondo" on CD at time of release when it was still reasonably priced! Seen the boys upwards of two dozen times and love them more every time.

Please if you can, give generously to a very worthwhile cause. If you feel like flaming me for this - please think again; I'm not really in the mood for it right now.

Thanks in advance

Steve Finch, Cambridge
"Maybe tomorrow ain't worth coming down for at all"
blackout bill

Re: Looong time lurker with a heartfelt request

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 16th May 11, 00:00

honestly, no-one's going to even think about flaming you for this - i'm not the most outwardly emotional person ever, but even i was tearing up reading that, i couldn't NOT donate.

my thoughts are with you. best of luck with the fundraising.
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
spoon_of_grimbo

Postby markE » 16th May 11, 09:31

so sorry for your loss.
good luck for the future.
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby blackdeathcrew » 16th May 11, 13:01

I am at a total loss for words, except to say you have my deepest sympathy
ImageImage
blackdeathcrew

Postby blackout bill » 16th May 11, 16:24

Hi guys

Thanks for the kind words, and Spoon, thanks very much for the donation. You had my Wife and I totally confused today going - "do you know him? I don't know him..neither do I"! We assumed it must be you when we read your post - so you gave us a laugh as well as £'s!!

You guys rock, AND have excellent taste in music!

All the best

Steve
blackout bill

Postby markE » 17th May 11, 10:31

will get my donation organised later. hope you and yours are okay.
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby specialbeard » 17th May 11, 13:56

Thankyou to whoever posted about this on gingers formspring page else I wouldnt have seen it and been able to donate the little I can afford right now...

As a fellow long time fan and parent I wish you guys all the best and am sure your fundraising efforts will be trully appreciated by the recipients.

dig deep in those pockets everyone.. I know you are a good bunch..
specialbeard

Postby blackout bill » 17th May 11, 21:41

Hi guys

Thanks so much for your support and donations. Thanks also to whoever pointed this in hte direction of Ginger's Formspring. Have to be honest; I've never even heard of Formspring prior to today, but am now signed up. In the words of Adina (my Wife)........."Oh my God, we're going Viral"!!

Your kindness, like so many others' has re-affirmed and strengthened our belief that the world is a wonderful place, despite our recent loss. Another example of this being our local Funeral Director's policy of meeting all costs themselves for infant funerals - in today's "phone-in and vote" society, this is truely mind-blowing and so refreshing.

Thanks once again, and how do we go about actually making this go viral??!

Steve
blackout bill

Postby specialbeard » 17th May 11, 22:42

not sure about making it get to everyone in the world but i'm sure everyone here with twitter/facebook accounts can retweet the twitter message and make any fellow fans that dont read these forum things aware.

as you are a cambrige fan did you go to the gig at the junction when the WH first reformed in 2001? if so i'm glad to have shared a place in the crowd with ya.. what a good idea with the just giving page... and posting it on here!
specialbeard

Postby blackout bill » 17th May 11, 22:56

Oh yes, I was there (having just had to check Google to work out exactly which gig it was that year - shocked to find that it was 10 years ago!)

Took a mate of mine along who was more Blur than Biohazard....Antiproduct scared him a little; Devin put him into shock! Was that the gig where Devin was going on about "sucking my uncircumcised"...etc etc? Not a big fan, so he might do that at every gig!

Happy happy memories. Ten years ago - time really does fly.

Talking about History, what year did WH headline the Corn Exchange? From what I remember it was within a week or two of Skid Row doing same.
blackout bill

Postby specialbeard » 17th May 11, 23:06

I'm not sure.. i'm not from cambridge myself, I live in rushden in northamptonshire and it was the closest one on that tour when I booked the tickets (cant remember if they booked a closer one after... i have a feeling), ive also lived in stafford for 10 years so wolverhampton and stoke have been my gig venues since till I just moved back to rushden.

do they still do the strawberry fare in cambidge? been to a couple of them many years ago I half remember (beer).

I just gotta say... lot of us have had our kids whilst growing up following the expolits of this band, its members and music in general... when the two worlds colide it really does pull at heart strings.
specialbeard

Postby specialbeard » 17th May 11, 23:10

as far as the devin question i cant remember... I think I was so exited to see a band we all thought at the time was never gonna play again my brain has emptied itself of any other details... since then we have all got a bit more used to splits and breaks being repairable.
specialbeard

Postby specialbeard » 17th May 11, 23:47

One more thing... i'd never been in this cloakroom part of the site before. maybe there is a place on this forum or site with more traffic that you could whack a link in? I may be wrong, someone with more forum experience than me may be able to help.
Russ
specialbeard

Postby specialbeard » 18th May 11, 01:32

Ive just spent ages typing out a reply here about how I may be able to help further but everything I typed just looked like shameless self promotion!! I've sent it to you in a PM!

EDIT: Its sitting in my outbox cant see how to send.. does it change to sent automatically when you read it? let me know if you cant see it.
specialbeard

Postby Ean » 18th May 11, 18:07

specialbeard wrote:Its sitting in my outbox cant see how to send.. does it change to sent automatically when you read it? let me know if you cant see it.

Yep. It remains there until it's read - that way you know when they've read it.

After The Wildhearts section, The Cloakroom is probably the most trafficked section of the whole board.

This was an unbelievable loss that has led to a wonderful gesture by Steve, and he and his family have my deepest sympathies, so please don't think me heartless in saying that here is the appropriate place for this topic. Many of our Listees have causes and charities that they hold dear and for which they fund raise - Breast Cancer being one particularly close to our hearts following the loss of Trace (a long time WH fan and friend to both the band and many of us personally) - and they all do it from here.

In fact, The Cloakroom is so named partly for our much-missed Granny Trace, who was self-appointed cloakroom attendant on the old Yahoo Mailing List, and who, I'm sure, would have been first in here expressing sympathy and genuine concern for those affected.
Ean

Next

Return to Cloakroom Attendant