Playing an iPod through a PA system.

Techy questions and queries, 'How To' guides and forum announcement archive.

Playing an iPod through a PA system.

Postby Stuart Brackpool » 30th Jan 11, 15:59

I import CDs into my computer at 192 kbp/s which is absolutely fine for listening through my in-ear earphones. I'm curious as to whether this is a high enough bitrate for an iPod to be played through a PA system with decent sound or will it come through a bit tinny.

I'm asking because I'm getting married in March and it was suggested that we could make a playlist that would be played at the venue but I'm concerned that it would sound a bit weedy. Should I reimport the tracks I want at a higher bitrate?
Stuart Brackpool

Re: Playing an iPod through a PA system.

Postby Jules » 30th Jan 11, 16:59

I've just checked and I appear to be downloading at 128bps (I mainly listen on the PC while I'm working or on the mp3 player on a crappy car stereo). I plugged the PC through a PA system for a friends wedding and that was fine. However - this was a small hall, it might be more noticeable in a larger one. Also, the PA system wasn't the best - it did the job but it also may have hidden some of the flaws of the recordings. I've heard worse though from a hired DJ. You can play around with the sound desk to try and improve the sound to some degree.

I suppose it may depend on the audience, whether a room full of sound fanatics or people who just want to dance and have a good time.

If you get a chance can you ask to nip in to the venue and have a go? Or for that matter any local venue with a similar size PA and friendly staff just to get an idea.
Jules

Postby Assmask » 20th Oct 11, 10:35

I would say damn straight. At that volume you'll end up with a LOT of white noise, you need as much of a frequency range that you can get. Lower bit rates simply do not let that wee line jump up and down enough.

I've left venues in the past due to the noise coming out of the speakers, but then I am a bit of a curmudgeon.

I would say 320 minimum (CD even better). But also cables are a factor, the PA would be a factor when it come to the overall quality of the sound, but it's the range that comes from the file. Both are important, but I would say the file is mostly so.

However you may also find that the yoof of today/non musos won't even notice or care.
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

https://www.facebook.com/biggrizzlyband
Assmask

Postby Stuart Brackpool » 20th Oct 11, 13:35

Assmask, I should have made it clear that it was a playlist to be played as background music whilst we were having the meal. For that purpose it worked absolutely fine and the looks on people's faces as they were thinking, 'Did I just hear...', was a treat. My dad asked what the racket was when Baba O'Riley was playing. Thanks for the advice, though, it may be useful in the future.
Stuart Brackpool

Postby Assmask » 20th Oct 11, 14:03

Yeah at low volumes fine.

However, I am puzzled as to why a topic that was clearly last updated nearly ten months ago appeared in my recent updated topics area!

Glad it went well.
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

https://www.facebook.com/biggrizzlyband
Assmask

Return to Cloakroom Attendant