Copy Control CDs

Techy questions and queries, 'How To' guides and forum announcement archive.

Copy Control CDs

Postby Stuart Brackpool » 28th Mar 10, 11:40

I've come across an album I'd like to get but, according to its reviews on Amazon, it's Copy Controlled which renders it unrippable. These reviews are a few years old so is it possible that software is added to computers nowadays to get around this? I remember the furore about Copy Control but it never affected me as I didn't have my own computer back then. Anyway, any information would be appreciated.
Stuart Brackpool

Re: Copy Control CDs

Postby Sarc » 28th Mar 10, 12:39

I doubt this is really a a problem now so I wouldnt worry about it, I remember when Must Be Destroyed came out it was supposed to be copy protected but it didn't quite work the way they wanted so it was still possible to rip it to your ipod/mp3 player.
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby Ean » 28th Mar 10, 15:06

It usually depends on the copy control.

What's the album? (We promise not to laugh ;) )
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Stuart Brackpool » 28th Mar 10, 18:43

Wasn't aware there was more than one copy control system. The album is an Aerosmith collection, Oh Yeah: Ultimate Hits. I'm having a massive Aerosmith kick at the moment and this has a few tracks on I don't yet have including their version of the Theme From Spider-Man!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/O-Yeah-Ultimate ... 418&sr=8-2

One of the reviews that mentions the unrippability of this album is, I notice, only 24 months old. Should I be concerned or do today's computers laugh in the face of such puny 'control'?

Also, I'm embarrassed by nothing in my music collection, sir!
Stuart Brackpool

Postby Ean » 28th Mar 10, 19:22

They tried a couple of different ones before they abandoned it. The 'standard' one inserts a small amount of corrupt data into each song file. Most modern CD players are able to correct this, like they would with read errors caused by small scratches, and play the CD (this is also why some CC CDs stop playing after getting even a tiny scratch: there's too much error to correct), but CD ROM drives can't.

Certain companies (mentioning no names G*T R******S) went a stage further and added an autoplay file of low quality MP3s and a built in player that installs itself when you try to rip the CD. Annoying, dubiously legal, and a right pain in the arse to get rid of.

Chances are, if your computer's fairly new, you won't have a problem. The modern drives - especially DVD drives - don't seem to be vulnerable to it. Mine certainly worked OK.

If it doesn't work on one program, there's always the option to try ripping it with a different one. I can't say I've ever had a problem with iTunes, but Nero used to bitch when I tried ripping TWMBD.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Stuart Brackpool » 28th Mar 10, 19:28

Thanks, Ean. I'll be using iTunes and my computer has a DVD-drive so I'll give it a go. Didn't know that about G*t R*****s. Gits. If only the Gods of business could get their revenge somehow..!
Stuart Brackpool

Postby Ean » 28th Mar 10, 19:34

Ah, we can only dream...
Ean Ü

Ean

Postby Benny Hiroshima » 17th May 10, 20:43

Ean wrote:Ah, we can only dream...

They've gone bust. Went into administration in 2008.
Benny Hiroshima

Postby Ean » 17th May 10, 20:49

Benny Hiroshima wrote:
Ean wrote:Ah, we can only dream...

They've gone bust. Went into administration in 2008.

That was rather the point of my post. ;)

Figured everybody knew about that?
Ean Ü

Ean

Return to Cloakroom Attendant