Forum Session Issue

Techy questions and queries, 'How To' guides and forum announcement archive.

Forum Session Issue

Postby baratron » 11th Jan 10, 03:38

I like the look of the new forum, and good work with introducing some of the new sub-boards. The smileybones smileys are awesome - many thanks to whoever came up with them! (Though this one's a bit alarming ---> :bounce: ).

However, I notice that the forum still has the same "bug" (feature?) as the old one, which is that when you go into a board and come back out, all of the posts in that board are automatically marked as read whether you read them or not! On some other web forum software, posts only mark as read if you a) read them or b) manually mark them read.

I don't always have time to read all the new posts on a board and would like the opportunity to read some of them and finish reading them later, without having to remember myself which topics I went in. Is there some way to make that happen? :?
Have Wheelchair, Will Travel. Wife of Rabies, mother of Paploo the Ewok :D.
baratron

Re: New Forum Information

Postby Ean » 11th Jan 10, 12:33

baratron wrote:I like the look of the new forum, and good work with introducing some of the new sub-boards. The smileybones smileys are awesome - many thanks to whoever came up with them! (Though this one's a bit alarming ---> :bounce: ).

However, I notice that the forum still has the same "bug" (feature?) as the old one, which is that when you go into a board and come back out, all of the posts in that board are automatically marked as read whether you read them or not! On some other web forum software, posts only mark as read if you a) read them or b) manually mark them read.

I don't always have time to read all the new posts on a board and would like the opportunity to read some of them and finish reading them later, without having to remember myself which topics I went in. Is there some way to make that happen? :?

Hey, what's wrong with a bouncing smiley? ;P (Thanks, BTW, they were all my own work... er, apart from the bits that were 'borrowed')

We're having a problem replicating your bug. Even logging out and back in again leaves unread posts marked as such. Which browser are you on?
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Re: Forum Session Issue

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 11th Jan 10, 21:33

baratron wrote:However, I notice that the forum still has the same "bug" (feature?) as the old one, which is that when you go into a board and come back out, all of the posts in that board are automatically marked as read whether you read them or not! ?
I have a similar problem sometimes caused by having a shit (Tiscali) broadband connection. If my connection fails (as it often does) and disconnects then when I go back all posts have been marked 'Read'. Very annoying! :grr:
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Postby baratron » 12th Jan 10, 19:50

Ean wrote:Hey, what's wrong with a bouncing smiley? ;P (Thanks, BTW, they were all my own work... er, apart from the bits that were 'borrowed')

The alarming part is the way the smiley jumps right off his bones - I thought they were permanently attached!

Ean wrote:We're having a problem replicating your bug. Even logging out and back in again leaves unread posts marked as such. Which browser are you on?

Oh. Erm. I'm using Firefox version 2.0.0.7 on an eeePC running Xandros (a version of Linux). It's not really obscure, but I can't imagine you'd have more than a couple of other people with this configuration.

Tell you what, I'll try from the Windows XP laptop and see if the problem goes away. If so, I'll just upgrade the browser here to a newer version. It's just a pain to do that on the eee because it doesn't have a disc drive.
baratron

Postby Ean » 12th Jan 10, 21:10

I don't know, never really thought about it. You'd probably better not look too closely at :coat: or :wall: then either. Anyhoo, circles are easier to animate. :wink:

Ah, like we're not all running that on here... :?

It's definitely worth a try to begin with.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Re: Forum Session Issue

Postby baratron » 13th Jan 10, 04:04

Aha! It turns out to be a browser issue, because it doesn't happen with Opera 9.64 on Windows XP. Hrm. Funny how it's only this forum that's affected, though...

I'll try installing a new version of Firefox on the eee and let you know if that fixes things.
baratron

Return to Cloakroom Attendant