Any good gigs anyone?

General music banter. Gigs, reviews, new bands...

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby blackdeathcrew » 24th Feb 12, 14:34

Radish wrote:
And in case anybody around here is interested (and you should be you know, live they don't come much better than this bunch), Carter USM are playing another 2 gigs this year, Friday 9th November @ Leeds Academy, Saturday 10th November @ Brixton Academy. To quote, "'All thriller no filler, no mucking about, full on classic, Jim Bob and Fruitbat, drum machine, two guitars, a big feck off lightshow, chuck in a few surprises, treat them like they're the last gigs that we'll ever play' type of shows. The perfect storm."
Tickets on general sale Friday at 9am, or tomorrow if you have a pre-sale link. Like this one - http://www.gigsandtours.com/gat/event.a ... =carterusm - if it works.


I'm intending on going to the Brixton date 8-)
ImageImage
User avatar
blackdeathcrew
 
Posts: 940
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 12:30
Location: Worcestershire

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby shockingcandy » 25th Feb 12, 23:29

Just spend the last 15 mins trawling the Nottingham gig listings. Only 1 gig of any interest (Emilie Autumn) which is a shame 'cause I really miss going to gigs regularly.

There seems to be far to many tribute bands playing proper venues as opposed to the local pub where they belong (sorry if that seems harsh but I just don't see the attraction) and that suggests there just aren't enough touring bands right now.
shockingcandy
 
Posts: 435
Joined: 17th Mar 06, 23:23
Location: Nottingham

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby Jules » 28th Feb 12, 00:42

shockingcandy wrote:Just spend the last 15 mins trawling the Nottingham gig listings. Only 1 gig of any interest (Emilie Autumn) which is a shame 'cause I really miss going to gigs regularly.

There seems to be far to many tribute bands playing proper venues as opposed to the local pub where they belong (sorry if that seems harsh but I just don't see the attraction) and that suggests there just aren't enough touring bands right now.


Yeah, I just realised that I don't have anything on my list until Dan Baird (December!), and a possible Jason & the Scorchers tour in September.
Jules
 
Posts: 99
Joined: 11th Mar 08, 23:20
Location: Beyond Hope

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby Radish » 28th Feb 12, 11:08

Jules wrote:
shockingcandy wrote:Just spend the last 15 mins trawling the Nottingham gig listings. Only 1 gig of any interest (Emilie Autumn) which is a shame 'cause I really miss going to gigs regularly.

There seems to be far to many tribute bands playing proper venues as opposed to the local pub where they belong (sorry if that seems harsh but I just don't see the attraction) and that suggests there just aren't enough touring bands right now.


Yeah, I just realised that I don't have anything on my list until Dan Baird (December!), and a possible Jason & the Scorchers tour in September.


Other than the Skindred/Therapy? double-header at Brixton and Boot Led Zeppelin in May I have nothing for the rest of the year. Not that there's nothing on, it's just lack of funds and excess of life getting in the way of Carter @ Brixton, Download, Sonisphere, Beautiful Days, Blur, G'n'f'n'R, PWEI, and locally there's the Stranglers, Anthrax, Rizzle Kicks (guilty pleasure, apologies but they amuse me) :coat: , Dodgy, Graham Coxon, and probably a few more. Admittedly not much new I'd go to, but then I'm old and out of touch with a lot of new stuff.
I do think there's a lack of range in venue sizes though, something Massive Attack highlighted back in 2003 when they had to play a gig in Queens Square in Bristol (which is on my all-time top 5 gigs list, awesome) because of the lack of mid-sized venues. Now I think that's a bit odd given Bristol has the Hippodrome, Colston Hall, and Old Vic, but I agree too many cities and towns don't have a decent gig venue between pubs/clubs and stadia.
Terrified, intoxiciated,
Starry eyed and bollock naked...

There's only two complaints I have about the way you are,
That's all you say and all you do...
User avatar
Radish
 
Posts: 296
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 13:36
Location: Oxfordish

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby markE » 28th Feb 12, 11:30

Spent last night trawling through gig listings desperate to find something to look forward to.
nothing, nada, zip, diddly squat, feckall etc. ( and no unfortunately that's not a line up for a gig)
two gigs a week apart so this year, then nothing ....
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: 18th May 06, 12:53

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby Radish » 1st Mar 12, 10:27

Having said what I previously said, just got tickets to see Paul Weller at Jodrell Bank in June. Admittedly not somebody I'd normally go out of my way to see, fine at a festival maybe, but the venue swings it. From the youtube vids last year's Flaming Lips gig there looked rather good.
Terrified, intoxiciated,
Starry eyed and bollock naked...

There's only two complaints I have about the way you are,
That's all you say and all you do...
User avatar
Radish
 
Posts: 296
Joined: 10th Feb 06, 13:36
Location: Oxfordish

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby markE » 1st Mar 12, 11:27

ooh, just seen this
Fri 22nd June Dogs D'amour performing Graveyard and Jet saloon albums.

got to go that one!! I love those albums.
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: 18th May 06, 12:53

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby Egg4Goff » 1st Mar 12, 14:53

10th Mar - Supercharger at Gasworks, Bradford
User avatar
Egg4Goff
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 28th Nov 10, 11:52
Location: Sheffield

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby Jason S » 2nd Mar 12, 13:59

Killing Joke in Oxford in a couple of weeks. Always a pleasure.
Jason S
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 17th Dec 09, 00:33
Location: Cheltenham

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby Spiritwalker » 5th Mar 12, 00:24

Jason S wrote:Killing Joke in Oxford in a couple of weeks. Always a pleasure.


Going to see them in Glasgow a week tomorrow.
Can't wait.
Haven't seen the setlist but people on the official FB page have been raving about it. Seems they're digging into the catalogue a bit and mixing stuff from the forthcoming MMXII record.

They tore Knebworth a new arsehole last Summer too.
User avatar
Spiritwalker
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 18th Dec 10, 14:24
Location: Perth

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby Stuart Brackpool » 5th Mar 12, 17:38

Electric Boys in November. Sweet.
Stuart Brackpool
 
Posts: 324
Joined: 8th Jan 07, 16:18
Location: Halesowen

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby Damian » 6th Mar 12, 01:13

Radish wrote:I do think there's a lack of range in venue sizes though, something Massive Attack highlighted back in 2003 when they had to play a gig in Queens Square in Bristol (which is on my all-time top 5 gigs list, awesome) because of the lack of mid-sized venues. Now I think that's a bit odd given Bristol has the Hippodrome, Colston Hall, and Old Vic, but I agree too many cities and towns don't have a decent gig venue between pubs/clubs and stadia.

The Hippodrome is seating only, which doesn't really suit them, the Old Vic probably too small, and they refuse to play the Colston Hall because of it being named after a Bristol benefactor that was also a slave trader. Having said what I said about the Old Vic, they played four nights at the University (Anson Rooms) as an alternative to the Colston Hall. I went to one of those and it was fantastic. The other two times I saw them, I was at Glastonbury - once the main festival and once the Pilton Party - the local fundraising event they do on the (relative) quiet every September. Brilliant live act, but (in common with many prominent Bristol acts) they aren't half a bunch of lazy gits.
Damian
 
Posts: 1620
Joined: 11th Feb 06, 01:14
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby Jason S » 6th Mar 12, 20:34

Spiritwalker wrote:
Jason S wrote:Killing Joke in Oxford in a couple of weeks. Always a pleasure.


Going to see them in Glasgow a week tomorrow.
Can't wait.
Haven't seen the setlist but people on the official FB page have been raving about it. Seems they're digging into the catalogue a bit and mixing stuff from the forthcoming MMXII record.

They tore Knebworth a new arsehole last Summer too.


At Rock City last year was immense as well.
Would be chuffed if they played a few from Hosannas or Extremities, though.
Jason S
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 17th Dec 09, 00:33
Location: Cheltenham

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby markE » 7th Mar 12, 11:33

Gaslight Anthem at Kokos in June :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: 18th May 06, 12:53

Re: Any good gigs anyone?

Postby Jules » 8th Mar 12, 18:40

Stuart Brackpool wrote:Electric Boys in November. Sweet.


Ooh! Hadn't spotted this one. Playing Sheffield as well!
Jules
 
Posts: 99
Joined: 11th Mar 08, 23:20
Location: Beyond Hope

PreviousNext

Return to Other Bands and Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests