Phoenix '96

Tour dates, reviews, meetups, live photos...

Phoenix '96

Postby kriscoverdale » 19th Sep 11, 00:00

So, I thought Phoenix '96 was an awesome festival experience. Did anyone here go? ;)

Great WH set as I recall. Nita Nitro opener, Loveshit somewhere in the middle, Pump it Up cover, the band were full of energy - top gig :)
kriscoverdale

Re: Phoenix '96

Postby beerofthedark » 19th Sep 11, 08:16

We were stewarding that festival and most of it was a blur of scorching heat and no sleep, but I remember the 'Hearts and Terrorvision both having great shows.

There was no Glasto that year so Phoenix was absolutely rammed, way more people turned up than expected and all the car parks kept having to be extended, god knows how far the last to arrive must have had to walk.

Also, that was the festival where we heard over the radio (we were on the fire towers) that not one, but two women had fallen through the floor of one of the unlit portacabin toilets into the cess pit below :sick: Both taken to hospital, but I believe they were both fine in the end.
"I have a barrel of opinions
lonely, lonely
I am everlone, everlone"
beerofthedark

Postby Radish » 19th Sep 11, 09:35

Was that the one headlined by Prodigy, PWEI and WonderStuff? Awesome festival. Which, apparently, will be making a return next year. Wonder if they can re-create the particular blend that made it different to V or Reading?
Terrified, intoxiciated,
Starry eyed and bollock naked...

There's only two complaints I have about the way you are,
That's all you say and all you do...
Radish

Postby Sarc » 19th Sep 11, 11:56

Beery, I remember you telling me that in the pub before the Islington 09 show and not matter how many times I hear about it it never fails to make me laugh my arse off.
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby vickyp » 19th Sep 11, 18:14

beerofthedark wrote:There was no Glasto that year so Phoenix was absolutely rammed, way more people turned up than expected and all the car parks kept having to be extended, god knows how far the last to arrive must have had to walk.

From the car park? pah, I walked from the train station! 7 miles in a heat wave, carrying all my stuff and my tent. Won't ever be doing that again. My companion got heat stroke by the time we arrived and spent the entire weekend zonked out in the tent, so I spent most the time running about from one stage to the next having a brilliant time.

Wildhearts, Honeycrack, 3CR, Bowie, Prodigy, the Sex Pistols, Skunk Anansie, Peter Perrett.... who else was on? I saw Goldie and Bjork have a big row in public after Goldie did a bungee jump and wanted her to have a go (this is when they were going out and she was a blonde). I saw Skin from Skunk Anansie in the crowd and was shocked by how tiny she is. I queued for hours for water for my ungrateful tent-sharing mate (now ex-mate). Still the Best festival ever (TM).
Zorro won't build me a time machine
vickyp

Postby Trash1 » 19th Sep 11, 22:36

who else was on?

Joyrider, Kerbdog, Jolt and... BABY CHAOS!
Trash1

Postby Damian » 19th Sep 11, 23:09

Trash1 wrote:
who else was on?

Joyrider, Kerbdog, Jolt and... BABY CHAOS!

Foo Fighters too, I believe? Or was that 1997? I went again in 1997 and it was really quiet, which must have surprised them after the previous year, even with Glastonbury being back on. Then I bought a ticket for 1998 - and only 5000 other people did the same. You were allowed to swap your ticket for a Reading ticket (and the Phoenix headliners were shunted across to be second on the bill at Reading, which gave rise to the infamous Prodigy/ Beastie Boys spat), and I've been going to that ever since.
Damian

Postby nig1012 » 20th Sep 11, 00:50

Wot was the year that manics, wildhearts, alanis morrisette and the foo's played? think Neil young headlined that day
is your silence making you lonely?
or is your lonliness making you silent?
nig1012

Postby NeilBlister » 20th Sep 11, 12:11

I still have Kerrang! that had the full review of the festival i think it was a bout a 6 page spread! Had a photo of Danny with the headline "Tats out for the girls" Not sure if the Foo's were on although i might be mistaken! Might have to dig it out for another read!
NeilBlister

Postby blackdeathcrew » 20th Sep 11, 14:25

Was there in 96 & 97. Was a bloody great festival I thought, hope they don't ruin it if they do bring it back next year

Some info about the previous line-ups here http://www.songkick.com/festivals/582-phoenix
ImageImage
blackdeathcrew

Postby kriscoverdale » 21st Sep 11, 14:36

I'm pretty sure '96 saw the Foo Fighters playing (my mate bought a t-shirt), along with The Wildhearts, Manics, and hundreds of other great bands. I'll have to go take a look at the line-up to remind myself how good it was!

A selection of the bands listed from the site linked above:

Foo Fighters
David
Bowie
Beck
The Prodigy
Massive Attack
Björk
The Flaming Lips
Placebo
Alanis Morissette
Cypress Hill
The Cardigans
Barenaked Ladies
Manic Street Preachers
Skunk Anansie
Super Furry Animals
G. Love & Special Sauce
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Cocteau Twins
Fun Lovin' Criminals
The Fall
Frank Black
Shed Seven
Dodgy
Sex Pistols
Alabama 3
Terrorvision
Gene
Echobelly
Longpigs
Baby Bird
The Wildhearts
Bis
Drugstore
Kenickie
Marion
Courtney Pine
Symposium
Strangelove
Cable
Blameless Mark Thomas
Honeycrack
Joyrider
Linoleum
Baby Chaos
Pillbox
Showgirls
Gold Blade
Send No Flowers
Monorail

Wow! And this list misses lots of bands too - Jolt definately, 3CR I think, Neil Young, Alanis, Reef, Ian McNabb.

Ah - found images of the lineup from the programme in this thread: http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topi ... p__2540704
kriscoverdale

Postby Trash1 » 21st Sep 11, 17:54

3CR I think,

They were 1st band of the day for whichever day they played and I remember Pete soundchecking by playing the Liberty Cap riff a few times.
Trash1

Postby vickyp » 21st Sep 11, 22:42

kriscoverdale wrote:
Jolt definately, 3CR I think

Yup, I was down the front for 3CR with song titles scrawled on my hands in marker pen. :oops:
Thought it was quite amusing having Jolt on the same bill as the WHs given what had gone before.
vickyp

Postby Trash1 » 23rd Sep 11, 18:38

vickyp wrote:
kriscoverdale wrote:

Yup, I was down the front for 3CR with song titles scrawled on my hands in marker pen. :oops:
Thought it was quite amusing having Jolt on the same bill as the WHs given what had gone before.

Were you at the Finsbury Park Sex Pistols gig the month before?
Trash1

Postby vickyp » 25th Sep 11, 21:21

Trash1 wrote:
vickyp wrote:
kriscoverdale wrote:

Were you at the Finsbury Park Sex Pistols gig the month before?

No, I'm a Yorkshire lass so wasn't down in London for that one. I remember reading about it in Kerrang.
vickyp

Next

Return to Wildhearts Live