Richard Thompson

Albums, singles, songs and general Ginger banter

Richard Thompson

Postby Ginger » 14th Dec 14, 16:22

Any fans here? I'm in love with 'Hand Of Kindness' today.

What other albums of his are essential?

Gx
Ginger

Re: Richard Thompson

Postby Mattie » 20th Dec 14, 19:39

My knowledge is limited to the 2010 album Dream Attic, but I thought that was really enoyable. Certainly a folk album though, not masses of guitar.

Dream Attic isn't a studio album, but new (unreleased) songs recorded live at shows, though you'd only know it was recorded before an audience from the applause at the end of each song. It has a natural, organic sound and the musicianship and production are 2nd to none. CD2 is the original acoustic recordings.

That's probably not enough to really call myself a bona fida fan, but I have an interest. You've reminded me that I need to check out more of his stuff.

My favourite track on it is probably Bad Again

Can't Watch This?
ImageImage
Mattie

Postby Prunkiachi » 18th Jan 15, 12:35

Shame I've only just noticed this... if I'd seen it a month ago you could have added a few RT albums to your Santa list!

The next album I'd recommend is Rumor and Sigh, it's got some great songs on there that have become staples of his live set. Two of my favourites are I Feel So Good and 1952 Vincent Black Lightning.

For most of the seventies he recorded with his then-wife Linda Thompson - most of the stuff is a bit folkier than his later albums. Their last album together was Shoot Out The Lights and it's superb. Bob Mould did a great cover version of the title track on a tribute album called Beat The Retreat.

Even further back you have the stuff he did with Fairport Convention. I reckon the best album is Liege & Lief, but be aware that you're in full-on arran sweater wearing territory here.

This is just scratching the surface, he has a big repertoire of great albums. Let me know if you'd like any more recommendations!

Finally, if you haven't already seen him live, catch him if you can. I've seen him a bunch of times, mostly at the annual Cropredy Festival, and live is where he really shines. When he plays with his full electric band, the guitar workouts are fantastic.
Prunkiachi

Postby Mattie » 1st Feb 15, 17:15

It doesn't seem to have taken off on here but we still live in hope - I know they were for Ginger, but thanks for the album recommedations I'll check them out!
ImageImage
Mattie

Postby Prunkiachi » 2nd Feb 15, 21:28

Let me know if you enjoy them Mattie :mrgreen:
Prunkiachi

Postby Standfort » 12th Nov 16, 10:00

Fantastic !!! It"s same world class.
Standfort

Return to Ginger Music and General Chat