Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

Albums, singles, songs and general Ginger banter

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

Postby MaddMatt » 6th Dec 14, 10:14

andyh wrote:Does anyone else remember Ghostwatch on BBC in the early 90s?

It's there if you want it...
Ɠ

Can't Watch This?

I remember I really enjoyed it, and was quite scared, until I sat on the TV remote and turned on the subtitles. Doh!
Last edited by MaddMatt on 6th Dec 14, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
MaddMatt

Postby DangerousBeans » 6th Dec 14, 11:18

Ghostwatch was excellent. Our Maths class got delayed for a Ghostwatch discussion as it had caused such a stir.Some folk had realised at the end it wasn't real but some hadn't and had been genuinely terrified because they thought it was real.

Parky,Craig Charles,Mike Smith and Sarah Green were great in it.

Casual viewing Britain collectively shat itself and the BBC banned Ghostwatch for 10 years. :lol:
Seems such a shame but it kept us entertained

Darren Brodie
DangerousBeans

Postby Knetan » 6th Dec 14, 13:23

Holy crap. Why a ban if it was clear so soon thereafter it was all staged?
Knetan

Postby Ginger » 6th Dec 14, 17:11

Funny how anyone could have ever fallen for that, looking back on it now.

Gx
Ginger

Postby buddhafella » 7th Dec 14, 01:37

catharsis630 wrote:hey ginger. these are some horror movies I've seen lately on netflix that I would recommend:

lovely molly - not gory but very, very creepy. watch this one with the lights on. ending is a bit ambiguous but still satisfying. don't think it's still on netflix sadly.

sushi girl - can't recommend this movie enough. not quite horror but there is quite a bit of violence and gore. it stars Mark Hamill of all people in easily his best role since voicing the joker and Tony Todd (candyman). what makes this movie so entertaining is the high level of acting and dialogue. plot/style is a bit similar to reservoir dogs.

prevues from hell - a collection of obscure grindhouse movie previews from the 60s-70s. the previews are probably better than the movies themselves so this very entertaining. there's a 2nd one that's good but not quite as good - celluloid bloodbath. can't beat a name like that!

poultrygeist - gross-out fest from Troma, part comedy, part musical.

The Theatre Bizarre - a collection of short stories. the 1st one is a throwaway but they just keep getting better and better. one of the better ones was directed by Tom Sevini who also stars in it. The last one is one of the most disturbing endings I've seen in a long time.

Maniac - remake to the 1980s film starring Elijah Wood and shot in first person. it makes you want to take a shower after viewing.

loving your music, g.a.s.s., horror movies reviews, music recommendations (fell in love with the scaramanga six so thanks for that) and connection w/ the fans. and your podcasts are truly inspiring. so thanks for everything.

I'm assuming you live somewhere other than the UK because netflix is shite here and none of those films are on it...
buddhafella

Postby Knetan » 7th Dec 14, 09:03

Getting access to all Netflix regions is very easy and worth a few bucks each month. I use a service called Un Block US.
Knetan

Postby Ross » 7th Dec 14, 10:58

andyh wrote:I generally avoid found footage films now, especially demonic possession ones, as they have become very formulaic and stale so they have to be something pretty special to work for me these days. Sounds like Lovely Molly is so I'll give it a look - cheers!

Does anyone else remember Ghostwatch on BBC in the early 90s? For me that was the best real/documentary/found footage style horror I've ever seen because it pulled off the impossible trick of actually making the audience believe it was real. It was broadcast on Halloween, and was presented as a fun let's spend a night in the most haunted house in Britain show rather than a work of fiction. It was even presented by Parky and then goes seriously dark about half way through. Would be interesting to see it again, although it might well look like a piece of shit 20 years later when you know it's real and I'd hate to spoil my fond teenage memories of being fucking terrified watching it.

I was about 13 and staying at my Nan and Grandads when I watched that. Shit me right up. Didn't help that they had weird curtains with loads of patterns on, so i could not sleep at all. Watched it again a couple of years ago. The creepy bits are still completely scary.
Ross

Postby Ginger » 7th Dec 14, 14:28

Anyone watching the new TV show The Knick?

Saw the pilot episode on a flight recently, got me hooked. Gory as all fuck.

Gx
Ginger

Postby SteveP » 8th Dec 14, 12:24

Yes, I'm watching The Knick, loving it, except when I'm watching the recording (from Sky+) the sound is so low, you can barely make out the dialogue (its fine when you watch it live), any techno geeks fancy explaining that???

Heartbreaking that first episode where they tried to do the caesarian

What did you think of my mates band last night (Loaded 44) supporting UK Subs?
23 Pictures In A Tent....

'The bus is gannin fuckin neewhere'
SteveP

Postby andyh » 8th Dec 14, 13:03

That's the second recommendation I've had for The Knick in a week so really must check it out if I can overcome my dislike of Clive Owen. Is he trying to do an American accent in it as that's usually his downfall?
andyh

Postby Mattie » 8th Dec 14, 15:07

The Knick is one of those shows that everyone says you should start watching and get into, but never actually say why, not even a rough outline of what it's about.
ImageImage
Mattie

Postby catharsis630 » 8th Dec 14, 16:10

buddhafella wrote:I'm assuming you live somewhere other than the UK because netflix is shite here and none of those films are on it...

yea I'm from the states. that's a damn shame; i forgot that different countries get different movies.
catharsis630

Postby Ginger » 8th Dec 14, 18:42

Didn't get a chance to see Loaded 44, but spoke to one of the guys and got some interesting tales out of him. Funny how nothing ever changes, eh?

The Knick is like a Victorian version of House, set just before the advent of modern medicine, with predictably messy results. Definitely not for the squeamish.
Great characters, reminds me of the scuzzier side of Boardwalk Empire. And, as previously mentions, righteous amounts of gore.

Gx
Ginger

Postby Rabies » 8th Dec 14, 20:23

Speaking of the UK Subs, weren't that band EK Decay (who tried to pass off a bad cover of Zeen Requiem as their own) due to have been supporting them on this tour? I mentioned the episode to a friend of a friend who happens to know Charlie Harper quite well, I wonder what came of it?
Rabies

Postby Mattie » 11th Dec 14, 01:44

Ginger wrote:The Knick is like a Victorian version of House, set just before the advent of modern medicine, with predictably messy results. Definitely not for the squeamish.
Great characters, reminds me of the scuzzier side of Boardwalk Empire. And, as previously mentions, righteous amounts of gore.

Gx

Cheers, exactly the sort of thing I want to read if I'm going to be sold on a show. I'll make sure to give it a go.

In the meantime I've found Irreversible on Netflix, I've watched half an hour and my main thought so far is "bloody hell I've never suffered motion sickness before I was watched this!" :D

Ichi The Killer is on there too so I'll follow that reccommendation. and I watched the Poultrygeist film someone mentioned (look for a browser extension called 'Hola Better Internet' if you need USA Netflix for it) which had one really great (long) scene and was overall pretty enjoyable.

Did you ever see John Dies At the End? Directed by Don Coscarelli. I read the book first, which was so strange that it was difficult to translate into visual form. That was fun, but a little more exposition needed perhaps (although nobody likes too much exposition!)
ImageImage
Mattie

PreviousNext

Return to Ginger Music and General Chat