Page 5 of 7

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 11:41
by Ginger
I've seen it and can remember absolutely nothing about it. Surprising since I'm very fond of Karen Gillan too. Must give it a second whirl.

Hey, I'm loving these movie recommendations. Please keep 'em coming everyone.

Been trying to watch The Judge (Robert Downey Jnr) which looks fucking brilliant but the few remaining streaming sites (that Virgin haven't yet blocked - cunts) keep cutting it halfway through. It is admittedly a pretty long movie, all told. Still, seems great.

Anyone recommend any great, unblocked, streaming sites?

Gx

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 11:47
by clockwork.satan
Hi Ginger!

...And 'Hi' to everyone on here that is/was on the ATW Facebook group! *waves*

I'm kind of glad that we're moving back to a more forum-based form of communication. I've been pondering on completely backing away from Facebook recently as it's just getting too powerful. Too nosey. Too unclear on exactly what they want out of everyone. So yeah, being back on here is a good thing. Fuck Facebook indeed.

I'm still completely confused as to why I couldn't find my old profile on here and couldn't figure out how to get back into it despite using every username/password combination I would've normally used. But hey-ho, these things happen I guess!

Will be watching wait baited breath to see what 2015 is going to bring us all!

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 12:45
by clockwork.satan
andyh wrote:Hi Ginger good to have you here. Totally agree it's much better to fuck off Facebook and its nonsensical naming rules and go back to doing it old school on here :) hello again everyone else it's been a while!

You were asking for recommendations of recent horror films with good endings. One I really enjoyed recently was called Oculus. Borrowed elements of Nightmare on Elm Street and The Shining but woven into a good original concept and with a pleasingly bleak ending.

Here's a trailer:



Can't Watch This?


Hope you enjoy it if you haven't seen it!

Loving GASS and can't wait for the birthday bash :)


I remember seeing the short movie that this was clearly based on back at an All Night Horror screening a few years back. The short movie was terrifyingly excellent too so I really want to see this.

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 13:07
by sidecar
Hi folks! :D Been a while! So long I'd forgotten how to login! Thanks for the prompt Andy!

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 13:23
by andyh
If you enjoy gory and extremely silly creature films then can I also highly recommend Zombeavers which is a feast of ropey stop motion animation with not a CGI'd beaver in sight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7onFrBK_hKE

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 14:15
by Beggz
shame aboot the carry on on Facebook but this will be a better setup & on the plus side we get the wee smileybones emoticons!!YIPPEEE :D ;P

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 16:55
by catharsis630
hey ginger. these are some horror movies I've seen lately on netflix that I would recommend:

lovely molly - not gory but very, very creepy. watch this one with the lights on. ending is a bit ambiguous but still satisfying. don't think it's still on netflix sadly.

sushi girl - can't recommend this movie enough. not quite horror but there is quite a bit of violence and gore. it stars Mark Hamill of all people in easily his best role since voicing the joker and Tony Todd (candyman). what makes this movie so entertaining is the high level of acting and dialogue. plot/style is a bit similar to reservoir dogs.

prevues from hell - a collection of obscure grindhouse movie previews from the 60s-70s. the previews are probably better than the movies themselves so this very entertaining. there's a 2nd one that's good but not quite as good - celluloid bloodbath. can't beat a name like that!

poultrygeist - gross-out fest from Troma, part comedy, part musical.

The Theatre Bizarre - a collection of short stories. the 1st one is a throwaway but they just keep getting better and better. one of the better ones was directed by Tom Sevini who also stars in it. The last one is one of the most disturbing endings I've seen in a long time.

Maniac - remake to the 1980s film starring Elijah Wood and shot in first person. it makes you want to take a shower after viewing.


loving your music, g.a.s.s., horror movies reviews, music recommendations (fell in love with the scaramanga six so thanks for that) and connection w/ the fans. and your podcasts are truly inspiring. so thanks for everything.

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 17:43
by andyh
catharsis630 wrote:hey ginger. these are some horror movies I've seen lately on netflix that I would recommend:

lovely molly - not gory but very, very creepy. watch this one with the lights on. ending is a bit ambiguous but still satisfying. don't think it's still on netflix sadly.

sushi girl - can't recommend this movie enough. not quite horror but there is quite a bit of violence and gore. it stars Mark Hamill of all people in easily his best role since voicing the joker and Tony Todd (candyman). what makes this movie so entertaining is the high level of acting and dialogue. plot/style is a bit similar to reservoir dogs.

prevues from hell - a collection of obscure grindhouse movie previews from the 60s-70s. the previews are probably better than the movies themselves so this very entertaining. there's a 2nd one that's good but not quite as good - celluloid bloodbath. can't beat a name like that!

poultrygeist - gross-out fest from Troma, part comedy, part musical.

The Theatre Bizarre - a collection of short stories. the 1st one is a throwaway but they just keep getting better and better. one of the better ones was directed by Tom Sevini who also stars in it. The last one is one of the most disturbing endings I've seen in a long time.

Maniac - remake to the 1980s film starring Elijah Wood and shot in first person. it makes you want to take a shower after viewing.


loving your music, g.a.s.s., horror movies reviews, music recommendations (fell in love with the scaramanga six so thanks for that) and connection w/ the fans. and your podcasts are truly inspiring. so thanks for everything.


I need to see Poultrygeist right now :)

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 18:34
by Knetan
Lovely Molly blew me away and it rarely happens. Superb mix of part found footage and creepy horror without resorting to cheap tactics. It really stayed with me. Sanchez's vision for horror ever since Blair Witch has grown stronger and stronger.

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 19:15
by catharsis630
knetan - i agree. when the movie started I went, "oh no not another found footage movie!" but it is used sparingly and effectively.

andyh - yes you do! excellent film.

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 19:25
by andyh
I generally avoid found footage films now, especially demonic possession ones, as they have become very formulaic and stale so they have to be something pretty special to work for me these days. Sounds like Lovely Molly is so I'll give it a look - cheers!

Does anyone else remember Ghostwatch on BBC in the early 90s? For me that was the best real/documentary/found footage style horror I've ever seen because it pulled off the impossible trick of actually making the audience believe it was real. It was broadcast on Halloween, and was presented as a fun let's spend a night in the most haunted house in Britain show rather than a work of fiction. It was even presented by Parky and then goes seriously dark about half way through. Would be interesting to see it again, although it might well look like a piece of shit 20 years later when you know it's real and I'd hate to spoil my fond teenage memories of being fucking terrified watching it.

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 20:40
by catharsis630
just to clarify, lovely molly is NOT a found footage movie. it is used in some scenes but most of it is a traditional movie, creating a unique experience.

never heard of that show since I'm from the states but that sounds pretty interesting.

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 20:42
by Knetan
Not seen it but remember hearing it made ripples at the time. Hopefully it still plays but the best mockumentary and found footage still does. On that note, Australia's LAKE MUNGO is a superb fake documentary that is seriously creepy and so heartbreaking. Tagline described it as a supernatural drama about grief which is spot on.

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 5th Dec 14, 20:43
by Knetan
catharsis630 wrote:just to clarify, lovely molly is NOT a found footage movie. it is used in some scenes but most of it is a traditional movie, creating a unique experience.


Very true, uses it merely partly but doesn't rely on it. Sanchez is clearly showing he is smarter than that but he has made a Big Foot found footage movie recently which I hope shows him commanding the style still.

Re: Hello, this is Ginger Wildheart - the real one.

PostPosted: 6th Dec 14, 00:52
by Dave C
andyh wrote:...

Does anyone else remember Ghostwatch on BBC in the early 90s? For me that was the best real/documentary/found footage style horror I've ever seen because it pulled off the impossible trick of actually making the audience believe it was real. It was broadcast on Halloween, and was presented as a fun let's spend a night in the most haunted house in Britain show rather than a work of fiction. It was even presented by Parky and then goes seriously dark about half way through. Would be interesting to see it again, although it might well look like a piece of shit 20 years later when you know it's real and I'd hate to spoil my fond teenage memories of being fucking terrified watching it.


I remember that, it was bloody brilliant, really built up the tension as it progressed. I remember nearly shitting myself right at the end when the person appeared behind the door. Fab telly!