History of the Birthday party shows

Albums, singles, songs and general Ginger banter

Postby Owen » 29th Aug 12, 09:06

Does anyone know which venues and what years all the birthday party shows have been at?
I think the first one was in a little club in highbury and it was just Ginger, Stidi and maybe Jon. Then the year after was the Marquee (the 40th birthday one) then is it 3 years in Islington academy?
So is this the 6th birthday party show?

My memory is getting so bad
Owen

Re: History of the Birthday party shows

Postby markE » 29th Aug 12, 12:59

there were two at the highbury Garage, then one at islington ( thats the last three) not sure before that though.
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby Ross » 31st Aug 12, 13:51

I went to the first Garage one (37 x the pain) and the Marquee 40th show, so two missing in between there. Not been to the others, but I think we're nearly at six...
Ross

Postby kriscoverdale » 31st Aug 12, 14:04

Garage 2001
Marquee 2004
Garage 2009
Garage 2010
O2 Academy Islington 2011
Kentish Town Forum 2012

In 2007 The Wildhearts were touring in December and played at Wolverhampton on Ginger's birthday, don't think this was considered an 'official' birthday show tho.
kriscoverdale

Postby Owen » 31st Aug 12, 18:42

The garage one, was that the one when they came on stage and all had Newcastle shirts on as Newcastle had beaten Arsenal the night before? If so who played bass that night? Stidi was on drums I think
Owen

Postby Owen » 31st Aug 12, 18:45

Cheers for putting the info up Kris
Owen

Postby kriscoverdale » 31st Aug 12, 19:13

np.

The first Garage gig, as someone mentioned above was Ginger, Jon & Stidi. They also played a day or 2 before (I think) in Bradford, which I had the pleasure of attending :)
kriscoverdale

Postby Ross » 3rd Sep 12, 14:11

That's good. Clearly I've missed fewer than I thought. And a couple of those I went to Wolves instead of Nodnol.
Ross

Postby Ross » 7th Sep 12, 11:07

Does the Silverginger5 gig at the Astoria count, because that was on the 17 Dec?
Ross

Postby kriscoverdale » 10th Sep 12, 12:45

Good question. I think it's probably like the WH show in 2007 - a gig on his birthday, but not a birthday gig (if that makes any sense!). I don't remember the birthday-ness of it being the overriding feature of the day / show.
kriscoverdale

Postby markE » 11th Sep 12, 13:26

kriscoverdale wrote:Good question. I think it's probably like the WH show in 2007 - a gig on his birthday, but not a birthday gig (if that makes any sense!). I don't remember the birthday-ness of it being the overriding feature of the day / show.

Bit worried about that this year to be honest. The last few years have been pretty special. i am hoping my excitement at a full wildies set overrides this on the night. also with the venue being so much bigger, you lose the element of a party feeling that the others had. ( especially the garage where the guests literally walked though the crowd to get to the stage.)
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby kriscoverdale » 12th Sep 12, 09:44

I know what you mean. One of my friends who's coming looked a bit disappointed that it is a WH show. Worried that he'll hear all the old favourites, rather than having all sorts of random guests playing a wide mix of songs and generally not have the mad variety of stuff that makes the birthday gigs great
kriscoverdale

Postby James S » 12th Sep 12, 10:34

How can anyone be worried its a Wildhearts show? Any chance to get to see em these days should be grabbed with both hands so it can't get away. Gutted I can't make it.
James S

Postby Speedy1974 » 12th Sep 12, 13:11

555% set followed by Full on WH set

Not sure how that can be topped? Pretty sure Ginger and Co will throw more than one curveball in there.
Each b'day show has had its own feel - I get the impression this is done on purpose so the b'day gig doesn't ever become the same format
Speedy1974

Postby Assmask » 12th Sep 12, 22:46

A Ginger set followed by WH is absolutely perfect.

And Ginger is at his element when the audience is greater. I think this will be "epic". OK, you may have to be more determined if you want to get the best view, but the effort usually heightens the reward.
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

https://www.facebook.com/biggrizzlyband
Assmask

Next

Return to Ginger Music and General Chat