Who do you rate above Ginger?

Albums, singles, songs and general Ginger banter

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 8th Jun 11, 20:52

I dont think there is another songwriter as consistent as Ginger on the songwriting front, Id say I like about 80% of his songs (I did the maths) and nobody else comes close really. Is there any others that you think write as many good songs pound for pound?

:D :) :( :o :eek: :eeek: :? :eh:
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Re: Who do you rate above Ginger?

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 8th Jun 11, 23:05

A very different kind of songwriter, but J. Robbins (of Jawbox/Burning Airlines/Channels) has got a similarly high level of quality control.

Ditto for Dan and Matt from Alkaline Trio.

Dustin Kensrue of Thrice (although I think that band are pretty collaborative in writing, so all of them maybe?).

And the more I begin to appreciate his solo and ex-band stuff, the more I'd be tempted to round off that list with Frank Turner.
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
spoon_of_grimbo

Postby WorldClassFad » 9th Jun 11, 13:54

The only person I'd place above Ginger is Paul Westerberg. In terms of brutally honest lyrics, catchy tunes and sense of humour, there are a lot of similarities. They also both have solo material that's arguably as good as the awesome bands they fronted. Below these 2 I'd put people like Frank Turner, Jesse Malin, Brian Fallon (Gaslight Anthem) and Tim Rogers (You Am I). These guys all write consistenly ace songs, but just aren't as good as Ginger and Westerberg.
WorldClassFad

Postby Sarc » 9th Jun 11, 14:39

Im with the above but without including Turner or the guy from You Am I
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby Sarc » 9th Jun 11, 14:39

Oh yeah and butch walker
Not sent from my fucking iphone.

The Wicked Mod of the South.

Go here you might like it.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Eureka_Machines/index.php
Sarc

Postby WorldClassFad » 9th Jun 11, 16:04

Butch Walker's very good too. Really like the couple of albums I own and keep meaning to check out his earlier stuff.
WorldClassFad

Postby markE » 10th Jun 11, 10:39

not above g, but i rate Dave Pirner very highly. i also rate Tyla very highly, chuck d (public enemy) and i don't know off the top of my head who writes it but in terms of music Jimmy eat world have been pretty impressive for years now.
brian fallon will probably be on the list one day(so far he's been excellent but its early days).
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby Assmask » 10th Jun 11, 12:56

I don't rate anyone higher, or even close, however Max Collins from Eve 6 is up there somewhere.
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

https://www.facebook.com/biggrizzlyband
Assmask

Postby Zoloft » 10th Jun 11, 17:56

Only band on-par with the 'Hearts with a vocalist/songwriter/guitarist/guru on par with Ginger is Face To Face's Trever Keith.
"Be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut paraphrased from his novel "Mother Night."
Zoloft

Postby lost johnny » 10th Jun 11, 19:13

Dunno if it's my age, but I'd rate Elvis Costello pretty highly for at least the first two thirds of his career - cracking music & genuine lyrics, and similar parallels with solo / band projects. Also covered by W/Hs...
"I'm living in a nightmare she's looking like a wet dream
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline."
lost johnny

Postby spoon_of_grimbo » 10th Jun 11, 23:34

markE wrote:i don't know off the top of my head who writes it but in terms of music Jimmy eat world have been pretty impressive for years now.

oh, i'll second that.
IF THERE'S A SOUND YOU PLAY THAT DOESN'T FIT TODAY,
WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE BASTARD ANYWAY?!
spoon_of_grimbo

Postby Radish » 13th Jun 11, 09:15

As with others probably not quite as good as Ginger, but Jim Bob is up there. From Carter USM, through Jim's Super Stereoworld to his solo stuff, even his by-the-numbers stuff (of which I wouldn't say there's much) brings a grin to my face. Thinking about it, Fruitbat is pretty good too, his Abdoujaparov stuff is top class.
Terrified, intoxiciated,
Starry eyed and bollock naked...

There's only two complaints I have about the way you are,
That's all you say and all you do...
Radish

Postby cjrodwell » 14th Jun 11, 09:15

Nicke Andersson/Royale from Entombed, The Hellacopters, The Nick Royale Gang, SuperShit666, The Hydromatics, The Solution, Imperial State Electric and more would get my vote.

He's done Death Metal to Soul via LoFi Garage Rock & Hard Rock, is a brilliant singer, drummer and guitarist and is incredibly prolific.

I like nearly everything he's done but I am struggling to get his latest efforts with Imperial State Electric.
cjrodwell

Postby disgorged » 11th Apr 12, 14:00

Devin Townsend. Who I basically have Ginger to thank for making me aware of in the first place (when he did a stint in the WH).

It's a pretty close run thing though. I know it's an old topic, but if those two ever did make a record together it'd be bloody epic!
disgorged

Postby Ross » 11th Apr 12, 14:07

In terms of confessional autobiographical tunes with a top hit-rate, probably Greg Dulli of the Afghan Whigs/Twilight Singers. Also Josh Homme, down to the sheer variety of stuff he comes out with.
Ross

Next

Return to Ginger Music and General Chat